Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rattles in my A3 are making me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles in my A3 are making me crazy

I have an 08 A3 S-Line 2.0T with 30k miles on it. I am having a time with the radio system and rattles in the speakers. HBL Audi (possibly the worst auto dealership I have ever been to) can not seem to get this fixed. The original Audi Symphony radio was screwed up and the whole head unit has been replaced.

Anyone, any help?

*Note, the suggestion of finding a real dealership and never setting foot into HBL again does not count as a valid remedy to my problem, I am well aware that they suck*

I love the car, but this type of crap is WHY you pay more for an Audi and not buy the VW.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow, I have never had any issues w/ HBL. I bought my car there and always ...

for services. I've always been treated well and had issues fixed w/ no questions asked.

From what I know/heard, all other dealerships in the area are worse then HBL.

On to topic. The noise you speak of, its just in the speakers? Have you asked them to remove the door panels and check there? My guess is that it could be a loose clip or something. When do you hear the noise? Only when the radio is on? Trying to think of more solutions...

Thinking that your car has been out for 3 years, you would've thought most parts would be functioning properly and not as cheapy as the first models.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The speaker grille on my driver's-side rear speaker was just loose enough to resonate.

I fixed it for a while by using a large rubber band around the perimeter of the grille to dampen the resonance. When the rubber band deteriorated, I wrapped the tabs in electrical tape, and the grille hasn't vibrated since.

My dealer couldn't find this in three tries, even though I provided a test disk and told them the resonant frequencies.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default any/all my rattles are caused by me, haha

after tinkering, I didn't un-tinker properly :P but it's always something fixable, fairly easily.

Speakers have surprisingly been just fine.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i concur.

My front passenger door isn't quite trimmed right, and the far bottom side (away from the speaker) vibrates over bumps or with any bass.

I took it to my dealership, told and showed them that the panel wasn't quite fitted right. They just ran 2 or 3 inches of caulking on the door, which did nothing except make the problem more obvious.

I paid to have things right, or at least fixed. Too bad I'm Canadian, and by my very nature can't complain to the culprit. Maybe I'll write a letter.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you don't have to remove mouse nests from your engine compartment (almost) daily...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The speaker grille on my driver's-side rear speaker was just loose enough to resonate.

I think that might of done the trick. I took all of the cages off and no noise. I will road test tomorrow.

Song of choice, Icky Thump by the White Stripes

I think the frustration is that my wife Q7 is flawless, so that increases the frustration level.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Wow, I have never had any issues w/ HBL. I bought my car there and always ...

More pervalent when the radio is on and more apparent with the radio versus the CD or MP3.

I am going to tinker with the cages.

I am happy for you with HBL, but I think that they are horrible. Both of our Audis, A3 and Q7 have had to go back multiple times for simple things.

They had the A3 for 8 days over a belt tensioner and the rattle in the door.

From what I understand, HBL Mercedes, etc is bad too. I miss the attention at the Infiniti dealer.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"Too bad I'm Canadian, and by my very nature can't complain" Could be worse, you could be French
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Worse when cold.

Quick Reply: Rattles in my A3 are making me crazy