Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rdrcr's A3 Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^
Agreed, our cars share many of the same packages, equipment, and attributes!

I’m not sure what is going on with your car. I wouldn’t recommend driving it too aggressively until you get it diagnosed. Without experiencing the issue, it could be a loose bracket making contact with another part of the car or, it could be knock/detonation due to another symptom. Get it looked at!

Aren’t you still under warranty? So long as you have a good dealer, I don’t expect you to have any problems getting your car fixed.

Ultimately, I don’t think you will have any problems with smog. You’ll really enjoy whichever Tune you go with.

Mike
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think I found out what the issue is: wheel hop. I got APR Stage 1 last week and have been playing around with it. I still get the violent shuddering going flat out in 1st gear, and 2nd gear now actually causes wheelspin once the boost kicks in. No shuddering in 2nd gear whatsoever, but ESP comes on.

Would it make sense that wheel hop is the problem?

FYI, I also ordered a Neuspeed P-Flo Intake kit 65.10.91 (without the air pump). I'm hoping installation will be fairly easy since I've never modded my car before. I went for the Neuspeed over the Carbonio because it allegedly sounds better and is less restrictive.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^^
I can see wheel-hop causing shuddering. I don’t use the ESP and

I don’t have much wheel-hop with my setup, however, I do experience a lot of wheel-spin in 1st and 2nd. Luckily, the wheel-spin can be easily controlled with throttle modulation.
Try turning the ESP off and see if that cures the shuddering.

Neuspeed makes a great intake. Many of the K04 guys use it. You should have no trouble installing it.

Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Turning ESP off doesn't solve the wheel hop. If anything I would expect it to exacerbate it since it will allow more torque to be transferred to the wheels.

Here's another question for you. Have you ever done any 0-60 runs? I tried yesterday and logged my results with the TorquePro app in Android (not sure how accurate it is). I launched from around 3000rpm with ESP off, got loads of wheelspin in 1st gear, then got stable in 2nd gear and continued to shift at redline. I didn't drop the clutch into 1st gear as fast as I could have. I kind of let it slip for a second before fully releasing the clutch pedal. Result of 7.2s wasn't great considering I have Stage 1. I'm wondering what the fastest way to launch this car is.

I guess it's different for me since I have a manual transmission?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

^^^^
I believe there to be more complications with launching a manual car vs. a dsg car but, with practice, I'm sure you will be able to get the 0-60 time down. I have tons of wheel-spin no matter what I do. I just modulate my throttle to extract the best traction. Unfortunately, I haven't recorded any 0-60 times.

What are you running for tires?

Mike
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm running the stock Bridgestone Potenzas that came with the Titanium package with 18" wheels. I bought the car used with 9k miles on it. Now it has over 15k. I think the treads are somewhat worn already.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default BSH & Neuspeed Inlet and Discharge Pipe Review.

Car modifications don’t have to have a reason, or make sense. As car enthusiasts we enjoy tinkering-with and working-on our vehicles, period. Many times, our cars scream for attention and we change things, just for the sake of change. I believe it was this ‘spirit of change’ that forced me to replace the stock turbo discharge pipe with the Neuspeed Hi-Flow Turbo Discharge Conversion Pipe and the stock throttle pipe, with the BSH TSI
Integrated Throttle Pipe on my 2.0T Audi A3.

Well, honestly, that is only half the story. You see, due to my future W/M installation, I had already planned to replace the throttle inlet pipe with a pipe that is pre-drilled for W/M injectors. The BSH pipe has two pre-drilled W/M injector locations which are perfect for my future project. The Neuspeed discharge pipe was purchased because if you replace one turbo pipe, why not both. Plus, I purchased both pipes on a Group-Buy, and it is hard for any car enthusiast to pass-up on some fantastic savings on performance parts regardless if they are NEEDED, or not.

Let’s start with the BSH TSI Integrated Throttle Pipe. As I said earlier, I purchased this pipe for the pre-drilled W/M injector locations. However, this pipe has some other cool benefits…Unlike the stock pipe, the BSH pipe features a reduction of bends that straighten turbulent air and a larger more consistent pipe diameter which should increase overall air-flow. In addition, unlike competitors pipes, the BSH pipe has a Diverter Valve relocation port which, if utilized, moves the DV from the turbo area to the intake pipe resulting in lower Intake Air Temperatures and allows for easier, more accessible servicing of the DV (I don’t know if I will relocate the DV, but, it is cool to have that option if I choose to do that in the future).

The BSH pipe was simple, straight-forward, and easy to install. I started by removing the two bolts that hold the stock inlet pipe in place. Then, I loosened and removed the clamps on the rubber hose connecting the pipe to the throttle body, and on the hose to the intercooler outlet. After some pushing, pulling, and swearing the stock pipe came out.

Here is a picture illustrating the difference between the stock pipe and the BSH pipe:

Once removed, I swapped over the IAT sensor, slipped-on the new silicone hose (with a good amount of dielectric grease to make things more manageable and to make the positioning the pipe easier) and started to maneuver the new pipe into place. I found it best to leave all the clamps loose until the BSH pipe is perfectly aligned before tightening anything. This way, I was able to move the pipe around to check for clearance and proper alignment to make it fit right the first time. Do it once, do it right. My install progressed smoothly, but I always have to make some kind of mistake somewhere along the way. After I tightened everything down and the pipe was positioned properly, I went to reinstall the IAT sensor connector, but I found that the connector could not reach the sensor. Upon further investigation I realized that I had installed the sensor backwards. I had to remove it, turn it around, and reinstall it. Luckily, I was able to do this without removing the BSH pipe.

Here is a picture of the BSH pipe installed (unfortunately, there really isn’t anything to see…):

With the BSH pipe in place, I moved on to the Neuspeed Hi-Flow Turbo Discharge pipe.

The Neuspeed discharge pipe is much larger than the stock ‘pancake’ pipe that it replaces. The increase in pipe diameter and shape, in addition to the redesigned billet aluminum turbo discharge adapter is said to vastly improve air-flow for ‘Tuned’ 2.0T engines reducing turbo lag, improving turbo response, and increasing horsepower. Basically, Neuspeed is saying all the things that we enthusiasts want to hear to make us buy their product. Their claims are music to our ears. Well, since I bought it, I’m a sheep (though, I don’t know if I am ripe for slaughter…yet).

I started this project by removing the front passenger side wheel/tire assembly and the fender liner to allow for easy access to the stock turbo discharge pipe. With all the obstructions out of the way, disengaging the clamps and removing the bolts and pulling-out the stock pipe took only minutes. Super easy. But, I did take extra care so the turbo discharge pipe seal didn’t rip, or tear when the pipe was removed. This was important because Neuspeed requires you to reinstall the turbo discharge seal to their supplied adapter. Plus, you are also required to reinstall the OEM bracket bolts from the stock pipe, to theirs. My attempts were successful. Here is a picture comparing the two pipes:

The Neuspeed adapter with the attached silicone hose (and clamps) installs first. The only thing that I was careful about at this point was making sure that the adapter locked into place and mated perfectly with the turbo outlet. I had no problems. The Neuspeed pipe went in next. I aligned it with the mounting bolt locations and locked it into place with the intercooler inlet hose and then tightened everything down. Perfect! No problems, no issues. Here is a picture of it installed:

With both pipes in place, I started the engine to check for any issues with my work before I put everything back together. My A3 started up just fine but, it wasn’t idling properly and I was beginning to think I did something seriously wrong when I found that I hadn’t reconnected the throttle body connector. Whoops! I shut the car off, put the connector back on, started the car and it was perfect! What a relief!

It was now time to get the car on the ground and on the road.

What can I say? I can’t tell any difference in performance with the pipes installed. The butt-dyno says nothing. I didn’t notice any improvements in turbo response, throttle response, and I can’t feel any increase in power. Unfortunately, unlike my other reviews, I don’t have a dyno sheet to share, compare, or evaluate my findings (my next dyno will be with the W/M injection installed). Now, I’m not saying that the pipes ‘didn’t’ improve performance. They may have. I simply can’t sense, or feel it. My A3 still shreds the tires through first and second gear and takes off like a rocket on the highway. It immediately and consistently responds to my throttle inputs. And, it continues to rewards me with excellent MPG. With the new pipes installed, what’s to complain about? Not much.

Look, I don’t know if these pipes are a great ‘bang-for-the-buck’ or ultimately ‘worth’ the money. But, I felt that the BSH pipe was necessary for my W/M installation and I like the fact that if I want to do the DV relocation, I can. Moreover, the Neuspeed discharge pipe is a quality part that I feel better about having the on the car, than not. In the end, I’m thinking that just for the ‘sake of change’, they are both worth the money.

Mike
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I still...have not installed the W/M system. I started but, haven't finished.
I know that when the W/M kit is finally installed that it will likely set-off some codes and require some resets and adjustments. In preparation for this, I purchased the HPA VAD system since I am running their ECU and DSG software instead of the popular VAG COM setup. This proved to be a mistake since I haven't been able to get an ancient Palm devise to communicate with my PC. I'm terrible with computers. So there is still hope. But, until I can get a trusty device functioning to monitor my engines vitals, I'm not going to install the kit.

Other than that, things are great with the car. The only thing I have done recently is 'debage' the rear liftgate and I really like the clean look. I'll post some pictures soon. The engine is running stronger than ever and the DSG is performing flawlessly. I still couldn't be happier. Well, perhaps with the W/M, I would be.

Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took a couple pics of the ‘Badgeless’ hatch…

Name:  IMG_0046_zpsfafd844e.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0042_zpse2d9c2ac.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  122.7 KB

Mike
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm considering exhaust...

I don't want anything too LOUD and I wish to keep my A3's appearance relatively stock.

What do you guys recommend? Milltek?

Mike