Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Reasonable price for the 3.2Q?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable price for the 3.2Q?

I found a few dealers that are ready to put the order in for a 3.2Q to be delivered in december. The estimated msrp is around $34k. The only option I'd need are the bi-xenon headlights. I'm ready to make an offer of $34,500 before destination. The car will be white so no extra charge for paint.

There is the possibility that the msrp might actually be lower than my offer price. Will the dealer let me place the order after a small deposit and with the stipulation that if I'm not satisfied with the official pricing I can back out of the deal?
Old 10-01-2005, 04:02 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why don't you negotiate a price now......

....of $xxx over/under invoice. That way you won't feel like you've gotten screwed and the dealer can make a fair profit.......make sure you include any add-in dealer fees like "processing charges" that are 100% profit (the fine print usually says "VA dealer processing charge not required by law"). Since that is profit already, it should be considered in your calculations.....
Old 10-01-2005, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Since this is such a new model...

I'm not sure what one would consider a fair deal. Gonna try for $1000 over invoice. Don't expect demand to outweigh supply even with the limited initial quantity.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do we know options and equipment level for the 3.2 yet?

any idea if we're going to be able to get one with a smaller hole (sunroof) in the roof?

I'm stuck between no roof and the silly open sky setup. I would be sold on the 3.2q if it came w/a normal sunroof... I can only hope.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You can only try, but $1K over invoice is less than the average

dealers are getting on the 2.0T now, if you look at the edmunds TMV (True Market Value is hard data collected from actual deals in your zip code). And that's for a car that has been out going on 6 months.

Don't believe pricing claims on forums unless somebody scans the sales contract. It's the internet, we can all say anything we want ;-) Lots of ego involved in buying a car;-)

Now it may be slow sales when the cars first arrive because it's Winter, but it's rare to impossible to get a large discount on a new model when it first comes out - especially in very limited quantities. Especially if trying to negotiate in advance of the first car's arrival. If you have the time, wait until the first cars arrive and see how long they sit on the lot - if at all. This can save you the frustration and potential burning of bridges when it comes to negotiation. You'll have a better gauge of what is realistic.

If the car turns out to be hot, it's not unheard of for the dealership to sell out the car from under a customer if offered more money from someone else, since technically a car must be available for anyone to buy once it lands on the lot. This law is actually there to protect the consumer, since it prevents a dealership from placing an insanely low priced car in an ad, only to have a friend or employee of the dealership tie up the car during the sale period with a deposit, thereby prevently anyone from buying the car. Once the sale period is over, the deposit is refunded, and the car is sold for a more reasonable price.

You may pull it off, but expect the unexpected.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/audi/a3">http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/audi/a3</a</li></ul>
Old 10-02-2005, 04:09 AM

Default offer as low as possible!! at least try

they can only say no- and so then you up your offer - why not offer $500 over invoice and work up to your goal of $1000??

you can't insult them (though some could do a great acting job) and they won't yell at you to get out - I promise

maybe you'll catch a the salesperson on just the right day...GET IN WRITING and PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN&gt;

Think positive! Don't let MSRP, rarity of the car or AVG pricing on the web stop you- Why not at least TRY???

At the end of the day if you feel you got a good deal you did and so did they- why would they sell you the car if they weren't making money? Maybe giving YOU a great deal and getting yet another A3 on the roads brings 10 more people into their dealership WOW now that's volume pricing!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dad just got a brand new A3 2.0T/6speed/Sport package

$500 over invoice; car had to be searched out for him because he wanted Lava Gray and he preferred now vs ordering a car. There was all of one up here around Boston in that color. He got "stuck" with Bluetooth and the Bose sound system, things he didn't need but were on the car (public radio listener, doesn't believe in cell phones). Maybe that helped with the price?

Cool car, bummer they changed the wheel size so he can't use my extra set of TT rims as winter snowtire rims....
Old 10-02-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supply and demand. Volume pricing won't work if you don't have a volume product.

10 more buyers doesn't help the dealer one tiny bit if they don't have 10 more cars. And keep in mind that because they may give away 1 car, they will try to make it back on those other 10.

And yes, dealers do get insulted even if they take the deal. Just like you get insulted, but you put up with it, to get the end result. I've gone a number of times to the service dept and told the SA to mark a certain vin # as being a PITA cheapskate customer - making sure that if they even manages to get a loaner, it's a Kia or something along those lines.

I've nicely told people they aren't done shopping and to come back when they are ready to be reasonable, rather than bother dickering with an insanely low offer. It goes like this after a lowball like that is made: hand them my card, shake their hand, say, "Thank you for taking the time to make this offer, but these cars aren't selling for that price just now. Perhaps you'll think of me when you're finished shopping and are ready to buy." They would respond by saying they are ready to buy, and I would tell them they hadn't seemed to have done enough price comparisons - have a nice day. Not worth the time if you have buyers already lined up.

Your approach only works if there is perceived excess inventory.

So it all depends on if dealers can sell 1 to 3 cars in that first allocation - and on how many cars will follow. If they can keep customers lined up, lowballing the dealer doesn't work. You just have to look at the B5 S4. We had a waiting list of over a year, and even when we got cars on the lot, they went for sticker or we walked the shopper off the lot. Now the A3 won't be that hot, but the first batch is not going to go for cheap.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Don't expect any deals onthe 3.2Q because of its availibility.

My dealer only has 1 allocation for a 3.2 Quattro.
This one will go for M.S.R.P.
At this time we only have 4 2.0T in stock for the next 2 months.
It has been 2 months since we have been able to order any A3 for in stock. I ordered 2 A3 for clients last month and I had to call AoA to get the orders in as we did not have any allocation.
On a side note, edmunds showed a $350 discount from M.S.R.P on the A3 2 months ago; now it is back up to M.S.R.P for TMV because limited availibility.
The most I have discounted an A3 was $750. With less than $1,800 margin was is a few hundred dollars especially when you are financing the car. $20 for every thousand, $10 for every $500...unsignificant.
Most likely, less than 2,000 A3 3.2 will be built.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Default heh heh I thought you would have a thought on my post

my philosophy is to aim low I don't see how it can hurt - I'll let the salesperson explain to me why X car is not selling below MSRP before I will let myself get psyched out from just TRYING. So it's not volume as I said maybe you catch a dealer on a good day - maybe they need to get numbers up at the end of the month etc.....there are soo many factors that could work in a customer's favor. Why would you try to talk someone out of TRYING to negotiate?

I haven't always paid X over invoice - buuut a few times I have and they were "desireable" cars

I ordrd a GTI VR6 once and we met in the middle -- At the time the ones they could even get on the lot didn't even stay a day. I had to go to 3 other dealers just to test drive one.

Quick Reply: Reasonable price for the 3.2Q?