Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rebuilding ‘16 S3. Need people who are smarter than I am.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding ‘16 S3. Need people who are smarter than I am.

New guy here.
And completely stumped.

So I decided to buy a salvage title ‘16 S3 8v premium plus. It was involved in a passenger side collision. Replaced the passenger doors from donor A3 8v(also a 2016). Cut, pulled, and welded new b pillar and rocker panel from the same donor A3. I’ve put all of the original electrical components back into the replaced doors(wiring, door module, etc.). As far as I’m concerned, that was the easy part.

Now for some reason neither of the passenger doors work at all.
There is some power to at least the front passenger door as the blind spot marker on the mirror lights up briefly when I turn the car on.
Also, the smaller speaker works but not the bigger one(has the bang and olufsson or whatever).
Doesn’t lock from inside or key fob.
Windows won’t move.
Mirror turn signal doesn’t work and won’t move either.

I have an OBDeleven and when I run a scan, the passenger doors don’t even show up. I do not have any of the original coding from any of the modules.
I’ve checked the fuses and replaced them anyways.

If anyone has any ideas or anything at all I’d appreciate it.

I can provide any information needed.

also, if I have committed and wrongs with my first post, feel free to smack me.

Andddddddd will also need help with how to program new front seat belt tensioner modules
Old 10-22-2019, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

First of all... Congratulations on your new purchase... and accompanying headache
I hope you have a friend with VCDS, as that would make diagnosing your problem SO very much easier.

Obviously, my first advice would be to confirm that the wiring harnesses you kept with the vehicle were undamaged by the collision. Depending on the severity of the crash, the wiring could have been damaged going from the doors to the vehicle. As you replaced the B-pillar, it shouldn't be an issue there. In the A-pillar, down by the passenger footwell, there SHOULD be a cluster of connectors that run to various components located on the passenger side. Check that to make cure everything is connected properly. Also, where the wiring harness goes from the door to the vehicle, on the vehicle side, there is a connecter hidden inside the A-pillar. This could have been pulled out.

The door functions (windows, locks, lighting) are all controlled via CAN messages through the door control module. I believe Side Assist also runs via CAN, but don't quote me on that... You only need four wires to be able to communicate with the door control modules (Ground, Power, CAN High, and CAN Low). You could also check the passenger side fuse panel (if you have one; I've only had A6s). There is something in there called a CAN Disconnect. It looks like a wiring harness plug, but no wire coming out of it. It is just a bunch of electrical bridges that connect the modules on each side of the vehicle to each other. If this was damaged or knocked loose, it could cut-off an entire side of your vehicle

The Speakers have individual lines running directly to the amplifier. If certain speakers aren't working, it's highly likely that the wire/s to that speaker is/are damaged, or the speaker itself is damaged.

If you can, post the codes that you are getting and we can go from there.

- Best wishes
The following 3 users liked this post by larry23142314:
A665 (10-24-2019), Stephanv (11-22-2019), Zak Stupid (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry Larry! I didn’t know that you’ve replied! I have to find how to turn on the notifications from here. Thanks though!

As for the VCDS, I don’t know anyone who has it. I’m the first of my friends to try a German car out. Come from JDM so I obviously don’t know too much about euro.
I will buy the VAG COM though I was just trying to avoid spending the at least $200 on a cable.

I am going to have to wait until the morning, it’s 10:49pm here, before I can check everything that you’ve mentioned. I can post the codes that I’m getting with the OBDeleven also tomorrow.

Again, I appreciate such a quick response. I’ll get back tomorrow with what I can find out!

Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak Stupid
Sorry Larry! I didn’t know that you’ve replied! I have to find how to turn on the notifications from here. Thanks though!

As for the VCDS, I don’t know anyone who has it. I’m the first of my friends to try a German car out. Come from JDM so I obviously don’t know too much about euro.
I will buy the VAG COM though I was just trying to avoid spending the at least $200 on a cable.

I am going to have to wait until the morning, it’s 10:49pm here, before I can check everything that you’ve mentioned. I can post the codes that I’m getting with the OBDeleven also tomorrow.

Again, I appreciate such a quick response. I’ll get back tomorrow with what I can find out!
@Zak Stupid a Ross-tech VCDS is worth the price if you need an actual good tool to diag and program your vehicle. Also, I'd highly recommend you head over to the S3 subforum here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-13/
Old 10-24-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@larry23142314 Larry! You mad man! The issue with the doors not working WAS the ground not being secured! They work perfectly now. Thanks so much for mentioning that or else I probably never would’ve checked.
I will let you know if any codes pop up when I run a scan again.
Also, do you have any idea of where to find the security or login codes for the modules?
I have a repair manual but I have no idea where the codes are.

And to you and @raj99 i will have to wait a little to get the VCDS or vagcom. I think the car needs a new battery and I will also have to buy a PC laptop, I only have a MacBook Pro. So that plus the vagcom cable is a bittttt too expensive for my wallet at the moment. So unless I can find a way to configure the seat belt tensioners through the little OBDeleven, this project is going to have to wait a little.
I will check out that sub forum.
The following users liked this post:
larry23142314 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Zak,
the repair manual doesn't list the SA (security access) codes for the modules; those codes are automatically loaded by the dealer interface tools when connected. I have access to most SA codes for the C6, which won't help you. Your best bet is to search through this forum, google, even ask some more experienced members. That being said, there aren't many things that you should need to change, if any, that require SA. The only module that would give you a hard time is 09-Centr. Electr. which, on the C6, requires a SA code for most adaptations.

On a more important note, DO keep us up to date on your progress. And I would love some pictures!