Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Recommended tire inflation pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended tire inflation pressure.

Though my A3 TDI (with 16" tires) is a few weeks from delivery, I am making a list of things I want the dealership to check/do before I arrive as I will be in a hurry when I go to pick it up.

Please take a look at the label on the driver's side 'B' pillar and tell me what Audi recommends for normal service. I want to add about 2 PSI initially, F & R. I will experiment from that base to see what works best for me

Thanks much.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

OOPS! I misspoke. The car will be equipped with 17" tires. I was thinking about the Jetta that I'm about ready to buy tires for.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Ben: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...10&postcount=5
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks much. The owners' manual is always a good place to look. <g> My problem is that I won't get one (a manual) until I pick up the car and want 2 PSI more that the recommemded pressure when i take delivery so I won't need to stop at the first gas station I come to and don't want to take a tire pressure gauge with me on the airplane. There's no telling what the TSA 'crats would think it might be!

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ben721364

when i take delivery so I won't need to stop at the first gas station I come to and don't want to take a tire pressure gauge with me on the airplane.
I would take a proper gage with you and check the tires before you drive away.

The factory seems to pump the tires up far in excess of recommended pressure, so bleeding a bit off won't be a big deal to hit the correct pressures, Ben.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would take a proper gage with you and check the tires before you drive away.

The factory seems to pump the tires up far in excess of recommended pressure, so bleeding a bit off won't be a big deal to hit the correct pressures, Ben.
Thanks again. I didn't make myself clear. I know that dealerships tend to skimp on preparation and think I may have mentioned that I don't want a confrontation with the TSA folks at the airport over the gauge that they might not recognize.

My experience is that when asked to do specific things, they tend to do so. That's why I'm hoping someone will tell me the placard on the A3 "B" pillar recommends as normal cold inflation presure for the 17" tires. I like to be in a position to sign some papers that are ready on arrival, pass my check to the F & I person and hit the road, rat now!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Front: 39 Rear: 38
From a 2012 A3 2.0T.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ocswing
Front: 39 Rear: 38
From a 2012 A3 2.0T.
Thank you very much Sir. Those are 17" wheels?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ben721364

That's why I'm hoping someone will tell me the placard on the A3 "B" pillar recommends as normal cold inflation presure for the 17" tires.

Ben, per FMVSS 110, cars sold in the USA show MAX LOAD conditons (5 persons + 5 suitcases in the trunk) on the B pillar label. This has been the status for about 5 or 6 years.

If you want to see the actual pressures for normal loads, and the data used around the rest of the world, you have to look in the Owner's Manual. It's the only place it's listed.

I'm thankful Audi still provides comprehensive info. Just about every other mfr skips right over it and only shows MAX LOAD. Info provided to RoW is very different. I guess many still aren't up to speed on this.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for correcting me. If I had asked that someone look at the fuel filler door, I would have been partially correct as some marketers do list 'normal load pressures' there. If I had an owners' manual I wouldn't have asked the questionin the first place.

Thanks again.

Ben, per FMVSS 110, cars sold in the USA show MAX LOAD conditons (5 persons + 5 suitcases in the trunk) on the B pillar label. This has been the status for about 5 or 6 years.

If you want to see the actual pressures for normal loads, and the data used around the rest of the world, you have to look in the Owner's Manual. It's the only place it's listed.

I'm thankful Audi still provides comprehensive info. Just about every other mfr skips right over it and only shows MAX LOAD. Info provided to RoW is very different. I guess many still aren't up to speed on this.

Quick Reply: Recommended tire inflation pressure.