Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Regret getting Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And mine has been 100% reliable over 18 months

Sarcasm not your strongpoint?
The OP was attempting to call all Audi's unreliable by pointing out a number of problems which HE appears to be having with HIS car and declaring, that by changing brand he would solve his problems. I was taking the p**s but it seems to have fallen flat in your case...
Statistically in any one model there will always be a number of rogue cars, just as there will be a number of perfect cars. Most cars will fall somewhere in-between and most people can understand this. It annoys me that just because somebody has a couple of irritating but hardly serious irritations, that all Audi's are the evil spawn of dark sinister forces...hardly rational is it?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 PM

See the explaination above.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price has no bearing on reliability. It depends on what the manufacturer of the car

thinks are the priorities (fit and finish, handling, power, materials, reliability, cost to maintain) of the intended demographic, and stretching the budget at hand to fulfill as many of those as possible.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/616177.phtml">another discussion</a></li></ul>
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

My car had a bad manual trans from day one. Got it replaced quickly and car has been flawless.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I second that
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Since you have a number of issues that may be hard to duplicate, try to note when and

what causes each one - if possible. Like does the hard starting happen first start of the day, or when the car is hot? Warm days or cool days? Does the brake noise happen often, can you feel it through the pedal, was it as the car was halting, or when you first apply the brakes? Etc, etc, etc. If you can duplicate them yourself easily, take the service writer and/or tech for a short drive to demonstrate.

Now if it's not that simple, call the service advisor and ask if the service manager can drive the car for a few days as his/her daily driver to see if he or she can get some of these things to happen. Explain that the car has a number of faults that are hard to duplicate on demand. They'll give you a loaner in the meantime. That's what we'd do at our dealer in tough cases like that.

As for the other cars, my bro-in-law has a Civic of the same vintage you mention. It feels cheap, sounds, cheap, drives like valium on wheels, and yes, it hasn't cost him more than gas or oil, but I think if I had to drive it every day I'd be looking for a tall cliff off of which to jump. Reliability and low cost isn't assured either, as seen in this thread: https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/616143.phtml

The Max will be all new, and sure to have it's own set of foibles. If you want a trouble free car, pick something that has been out on the market for a while and has a good reputation. Even then don't hold your breath, because the luck of the draw means sometimes even the most reliable brands have trouble. My Toyota pickup was by far the biggest piece of ****e I've ever owned, and I've had some doozies;-)
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default good point

Yes, it's totally a luck of draw game. No car is best car. Each car has its own problem/issues. If less problems reported =&gt; most reliable car, many problems reported =&gt; less reliable car.

and I agree, civic is cheap and not fun to drive, but no problems during the time I own. A3 looks great, fun to drive but many problems for me (maybe not for others) and it seems like things I like about A3 is defeated by the problems I have.
After a few hours I got back from the dealership, my anger subsides. I don't think I want to get rid of it now. As many people here says it cost me a lot to sell because of just "minor" problems. I will keep it as long as it behaves.
I will log the problem. thanks for the advice.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Sunshade latch covered entire warranty period

My latch broke over the weekend and the dealer installed a new one today. So, how do you tell the difference between the new design latch and the old design? To me it looks the same and feels the same. It just feel like hard plastic. Not sure if it's true but the service guy said they had to replace to entire bar with the latch whenever this thing breaks. So, if you examine the otherside of the latch you can see the laim peace of plastic that will break over and over again. They need to replace it with a metal piece, since it's a hard impact moving item. Also, I'm scared to even think about the rear latch breaking. Looks like they have to remove the entire rear roof glass if they have to get to it.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Yeh, I got my sunshade repaired last week with the new improved parts...

this was after it broke twice. The 1st fix was to replace the broken latch with the new improved latch. After the latch fix, the damn sunshade wouldn't roll all the way back (bunching). They kept the new latch and replaced everything back of it; hopefully this will last the life of the car (time will tell). Everything else on the car is working just fine (knock on wood).
Old 04-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Default previously entire sunshade was replaced

taking headliner out and then instlalling new sunshade with bad latch.

NOW they just replace the latch with the new and improved part which does look exactly the same to me though seems to be tougher I sure hope so!

Quick Reply: Regret getting Audi A3