Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Removing the Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Glove Box

Does anyone have any experience of performing this operation, I am particularly worried about any hidden screws/clips that I need to be wary of.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Removing the Glove Box

JJay,

Yeah, I performed this when I had my A3. If I remember correctly, there are no hidden spring retention clips - its all bolts.

Start with the ones behind the side panel near the passenger door. Open the glovebox and loosen the bolts visible there. Then lie down in the footwell and look up, I think there are one or two bolts on the underside, near the little parcel shelf/tray. The bolt nearest the centre console is a real b#####d to get back in - so be warned.

Hope this helps.

AL
Old 01-09-2003, 05:00 AM

Cheers, do I just prise the side panel off with a screwdriver(passenger side) to get to the first 2 screws?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, but wrap the screwdriver in a cloth then you don't scratch the trim. The D shaped panel is just held on by clips. It does require some force to remove, but try and do it gradually, starting at the curved bit of the panel. The panel will bend slightly as you lever it out, but it won't break.

AL
Old 01-09-2003, 07:43 AM
bk1

Default glove box light?

Not quite the same topic, but I never knew there was a light in the glove box until yesterday when I happened to lean right in and see it.
As you can tell, it's never worked and I want to try replacing the bulb. Is the light unit just clipped in (i.e. can I lever it out with a flat-blade screwdriver?) or is it more tricky than that?
I'm guessing once I see the bulb then getting a replacement should be easy.
When I looked to see what activated the bulb, the only possible trigger I could see were the two curved arms at either end of the glove box door (I am used to seeing a button in most glove boxes - when pressed the light goes out).
Thanks,
B
Old 01-09-2003, 07:44 AM

Thanks a lot, need to get to my blower fan, it's murder without heating in this weather.

Thanks again
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: glove box light?

Hi,

Not sure whether the "glass" of the light unit can be levered out or not.

What I do know is, if you remove most of the bolts along the top and side, and just loosen the ones underneath the glovebox, it will drop down a fair bit, and this may be enough for you to get at the bulb.

The glovebox light only comes on when you have your headlights on, and is operated by contact switch on the outer (door side) glovebox-door arm (if that makes sense?). Its all hidden. You'll know what I mean if you loosen it all.

I should say though, if your glovebox didn't rattle before you remove it, it probably will do after. :-(

A mistake I made when putting it back was to tighten the bolts up too tightly, and I snapped a couple of the "speed-nuts" which the bolts screw into. :-( But you can buy them from the Audi dealer, so not that big a worry.

Hope you guys get things sorted.

Cheers

AL
Old 01-09-2003, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem mate. Its bloody cold at the moment. :-o

AL
Old 01-16-2003, 11:30 AM

Default Re: glove box light?

i've taken out the glove box tons of times in my a3 to put in a red light to the glove box and to do wiring and stuff, just make sure u get the rite screw head frum halfords r summin and that you dont wear out the screws and ****, make sure you get all of them and when you take it off make sure you disconnect all of the wires from the glove box