Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Replacing a 2006 A3 Wiper Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a 2006 A3 Wiper Motor?

So a little while back, my windshield wipers just stopped working. They were working one day and then not the next, the repair shop told me I had a busted wiper motor. Rather than have them do it, I figured I'd take it upon myself. I purchased a wiper motor from an eBay seller about a week ago. They parted it out from a totaled 2006 A3 and guaranteed it for six months, I went for it.

I managed to hook it up according to the Bentley Service manual for my model. Upon hooking everything up and attempting to run the wipers for the first time, they just went straight down to the lowest position possible and clicked a few times and then I shut it off.

After some research and got a better look at the repair information in the manual, and a bit of googling, I found that I had to use the VAG COM software to get it to work properly. Here's what it says:

If the control module was replaced, select the "Replace" function for the respective control module in "Guided Fault Finding" or "Guided Functions" .
Select the function or path:
Vehicle brand
Engine identification
09 - Electronic central electrical
J400 - Replacing

So, I purchased a HEX-CAN -> USB cable from Ross-Tech and I'm using their VCDS 11.1 software.

I don't see anything like "Guided Fault Finding" or "Guided Functions" anywhere.

Through "Select Control Module" I'm able to connect to the "Electronic central electrical" module fine, it's even the same number, but I have no idea how to select any sort of "Replace" function.

Has anyone replaced one of these before and can point me in the right direction?

Some additional information, when I go through Select Control Module=>Comfort/Conv=>68-Wiper Electric I get an error stating that there's no response from the controller. I also found this fault going through the 'Electronic central electrical' section:
00153 - Windshield Wiper Motor; Driver Side (V216)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

However, I know I'm able to interact with it, when the wiper motor is plugged in and I toggle the wiper speed, I can hear it responding. It's goes faster when it's supposed to be a faster wiper speed, and slower when it's supposed to be slower.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2007 that i replaced my motor not long ago. It was a pretty simple exchange that I got from a wrecked a3 at a junkyard. Reason mine went out was my HID fog lights. The wiring system in the car is not so friendly so apparently the HID kit spiked the voltage and blew the motor. Replaced the bulbs with my stock halogens and bam no issues.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by a3s-13
I have a 2007 that i replaced my motor not long ago. It was a pretty simple exchange that I got from a wrecked a3 at a junkyard. Reason mine went out was my HID fog lights. The wiring system in the car is not so friendly so apparently the HID kit spiked the voltage and blew the motor. Replaced the bulbs with my stock halogens and bam no issues.
Thanks for the response, did you have to do anything with VAG-COM to get it to work properly, or was it just plug and play?

Also, I'm pretty sure the lights in mine are after-market HIDs (bought it like that), that might have been the cause of the blowout in the first place...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Chances are that blew the motor if it has them! Take them out asap THEN replace the motor, because it can blow it immediately or take a few months but isn't worth the drama... But it is a plug and play system. I plugged it in and started working. Took me a while to adjust the right way of the arms to work right. (it would do one wipe then freeze up but i could hear motor working) just had to keep messing with the arms on the motor... But you shouldn't have to take it to no one to program. Unless i was super lucky lol.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Chances are that blew the motor if it has them! Take them out asap THEN replace the motor, because it can blow it immediately or take a few months but isn't worth the drama... But it is a plug and play system. I plugged it in and started working. Took me a while to adjust the right way of the arms to work right. (it would do one wipe then freeze up but i could hear motor working) just had to keep messing with the arms on the motor... But you shouldn't have to take it to no one to program. Unless i was super lucky lol.
Okay, yeah I guess I need to play with the adjustments a bit. Guess I wasted some money getting the VCDS/HEX-CAN cord... oops.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The problem is your HID kit.

When installing aftermarket HID the Audi A3 wiper motor stops working.
It is a very common problem.

If you replace the wiper motor but don´t remove the HID it will happen again.

this company FIX the wiper motor for £45
http://hidwelldone.wordpress.com/201...r-audi-a3-55e/

In VWVortex forum you can see some comments from clients about this company & how they solved for the wiper motor problem.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Been driving in the rain w/no wipers since 2013 :-/ I changed wiper motor twice, but it didn't fix the issue. Any idea on other places to look? Is the wiper console/relay inside the black box next to the motor itself? Yours was the closest response I've found to my issue. Thought I'd ask. Thnx.