Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Roaring tires: caused by patch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaring tires: caused by patch?

There's a roaring noise that gets louder and faster with increasing speed. Sounds like something amiss with a tire.

ran over a nail a few months back, so there's a repair patch in the right-tear tire. Could this be causing the noise?

Alternately, a local garage blamed the noise on a faulty wheel bearing. But this hypothesis is solely based on a road test--not an actual inspection.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Stock P6's? If so, this is a well-documented problem.

Start shopping for new tires...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Most likely the stock P6s. Purchased a used 06' A3 and had the same impression.

Most people swap for new/different tires before the P6s are even 50% worn. They just get noisier with wear to boot! It frustrating that Audi keeps putting these things on all their cars!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If it's a wheel bearing the noise should change during turns.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wear + cuppage! I went for the contis.

Actually, if you're close to Toronto, I'll need to unload them. They're just taking up space!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If the car has 60k<, more than likely. I'm well acquainted with that sound.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most likely worn tread. I have Contis, but the day I bought my car another owner at the dealership

having work done to his car suggested I keep on top of rotating the tires. Tho he had P6's, keeping the tires rotated made sense regardless of the brand.

The A3 2.0T is front-heavy, and has a reasonably powerful drivetrain. It's a recipe ripe for overworn tires no matter the make.

Stick to keeping the tires rotated, no matter which brand, every 3K miles. Most neighorhood tire shops will rotate for free.

Proper and preventative rotation keeps the tires fresh, and in wearing evenly.

Now, on a lighter weight car with near 50/50 and rwd, tires tend to last a good deal longer than when mounted on an A3
Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 AM

Default Rotation is good, but ...

... I slightly disagree with:

"Now, on a lighter weight car with near 50/50 and rwd, tires tend to last a good deal longer than when mounted on an A3."

Many cars that have those specs also come with all-season tires, which are garbage for handling but have longer-lasting tread compounds than the summer tires that come on A3s.

My wife's Passat is FWD, has front weight bias, and weighs about the same as the A3 or more, and its all-season tires go a lot farther than mine.

It's a compound tradeoff - wear for handling.

-dan
Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Most likely worn tread. I have Contis, but the day I bought my car another owner at the dealers

You're always going to get more wear on the driving wheels, regardless of vehicle weight, front/rear ratio. That's the reason for rotating tires.

I also think rotating tires at 3000 miles is far too frequent. The extra effort or expense is unnecessary and most shops wont rotate tires for free. I think 5000 to 6000 miles is more reasonable.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All I can say is the tires on my BMW and Miatas lasted much longer than on my A3

I even had a performance alignment on the Miata (everything but ride height is adjustable).

Tread wear rating was similar, though the last tires on the Miata were BFG KDWs a much softer tire than the RE90's (BMW) and Conti's on the Audi.

I have an air compressor, and check psi on the tires every other week or so when I wash the car. One weekend I wash the BMW, the next the Audi. I got 45K miles out of the last set of Potenza REs (Performance M+S) on the BMW.

I've got four rotations on the Audi @ 5K miles each rotation. I'll be due a replacement in the next 10K miles, probably at 35K miles.

Rotations are free at my tire shop.

Quick Reply: Roaring tires: caused by patch?