Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

rock in rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock in rear brake

Has this ever happened to you? Last weekend I was going to my cabin which is off a very mild gravel road. I have driven this road many times in the A3 and always go about 10-15 miles an hour. This last time I was almost off the gravel when i heard a sound (had the windows down) that sounded like a sharp metallic ding. Right after that I hear a horrible metal on metal squeel that could have woken the dead. I got out and looked for anything out of line and could see nothing. I made it rest of the hundred yards up the hill (squeeling like a banshee the whole time) and got it into the garage. I pulled the tire and found a rock, about the size of one half a single dice, had gotten thrown up into the brake assembly and had lodged between the inside of the rotor and the thin metal heat shield. The rock wore a very small groove in the rotor.

I was at the end of a 500 mile trip so I am sure that everything was expanded and hot but the rock didnt fall out on its own once cool. It didnt do any real damage to the rotor, it will even out in a thousand miles I am sure.

Just thought it was odd and maybe a design flaw?
On another note the jack and tire iron were very easy to use and put back.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Happened to me on the way back from mammoth.

I was rollin fine until I got into independence where I had to slow down to 20mph and all the sudden I heard a squealing sound and my heart sunk since I was still 300 miles from home. I pulled over and had my lady drive it slow while I walked next to it to see where the sound came from. Sure enough there was a rock stuck in the right rear brake. I just had her put it in reverse and the rock came out with ease. Don't think it caused too much damage since I caught it fast. I made it home fine and thats what counts.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: rock in rear brake

Dont worry about it i have seen it happen plenty of times, and it is not a design flaw.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default run that gravel road at 40-60 mph, ....

<i>(that is, if you're familiar with it, and it's deserted, and it's private, or a closed course, and quattro helps, turn off that esp)</i>

smooths out the washboard, and you won't have that problem with pebbles getting in between your rotor and pads

see video link, below<ul><li><a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/boki-san/cabina/?action=view&amp;current=cr112.flv">run that gravel</a></li></ul>
Old 06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Happens to me all the time...

I asked the dealer to check and they said there was nothing wrong. For future reference, you needn't pull the tire off. If you gently push the metal heat shield away from the rotor you will dislodge the rock and it will fall out. You may have to work your way around the heat shield, of course, until you find the rock.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Happened in my old car all the time

Had +1 size wheels on my 97 accord and rocks got in there all the time. Granted I was driving on unpaved / poorly paved roads every day.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default jack and tire iron were very easy to use and put back

as opposed to the B6 ;-)
Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

just put 'er in reverse for 5 ft...same thing happened to me...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Didn't know what was happening so I called roadside service. Felt like a fool when the tow truck

driver used his wrench to loosen the rock.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common to many disc brake designs. Haven't had it happen to the A3, but many times to the

Alfa Brembos while going to the Yukon (lots of unpaved roads there). Stop as soon as you hear it, and find the sucker!

Quick Reply: rock in rear brake