Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Roof Trim Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Trim Recall

Just brought my car back in for the windshield replacement (the last one didnt happen cause the replacement glass was also busted).

Anyway, he said there is a new recall on the roof trim for the opensky A3's and they completed it.

I pick up the car tomorrow. Hedidnt say what they did to the car so here is hoping they didnt scratch the roof doing whatever it was to fix something that hasnt happened yet.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Roof Trim Recall

Apparently they add some clips to help keep it from detaching, as some members have reported. Mine was done during a routine 15K service. No visible change at all.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Mine already had the recall done and it is back there now because it came up again

$30K car and the trim is held on by double sided tape..
Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Is this a "recall" or a service campaign or TSB?

Recalls are formal things that almost always involve safety issues. For example: corrosion is causing suspension parts to break, fluids are leaking on the exhaust manifold due to a defective or poorly placed hose. Service campaigns are a little less severe and are things that the dealer should fix the next time the car is in for other reasons, such as a new ECU flash. Sometimes owners are notified about those by letter, and sometimes not. Even lower are technical service bulletins. The manufactuer knows of some issue that affects many cars and issues a bulletin to the dealers on how to fix it, should a customer complain. I'd guess the open sky issue falls into the latter category.

I only ask because if it's a recall, then all affected open sky owners should be receiving a letter from Audi telling them to get it fixed ASAP.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didn't you know anything that is a known issue is a recall!!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Default No, I did not know that, and I guess the gov't doesn't either

See link.

I'm just trying to be accurate in terminology, because calling something a recall that isn't a recall will confuse many people, who then wonder why their car that hasn't had the same issue hasn't been recalled. There are specific government procedures the manufacturer has to follow for a recall.

Safety recalls can be searched on the site I linked. All I can find for the A3 is that 48 2006 cars were recalled for a side airbag problem. Nothing here about roof trim recalls. There is a separate search for TSBs. Those aren't the same as recalls, though.

I searched for TSBs on the 2006 A3. There are quite a few listed, but none that I could see for roof trim. (It could be that there is one that's not on the site yet). There are a couple related to the sunroof - one for wind noise, and another for a sunshade that binds or doesn't retract properly.

Did anyone get a letter from Audi saying to bring back your car (recall) for roof trim work?<ul><li><a href="http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/">NHTSA Recall Site</a></li></ul>
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Have you ever worked with the serious 3M double sided tape?

It's what holds on badges for years and years and years. It's the stuff you dental floss through when de-badging. I bought some to hold my XM antenna to my trunk lid, since the magnet wasn't doing much on the A8 to hold the antenna to the aluminum lid. It's still there 4+/- years later, and isn't going any where.

In short, done right, double sided tape can hold a lot, for a long time.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's an RVU--Required Vehicle Update--#66-08-06 and it's applicable to all 2007s and

2008s with VINs 000001-062134. The dealer will add 2 clips to both sides at the rear of the Open Sky trim.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

see "sarcasm"
Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 AM

Default I asked that very question and he said 'recall'

I guess it could be a safety issue if the stuff comes flying off the car.

I was thinkiing the same thing as you wondering where my letter was but he said it was just issued in the past week. The letters always lag by a month or so because they dont always have inventory to fix it and dont want to be innundated. When the 'coil pack' recall was in effect, same deal. I had all mine replaced twice before even getting the letter. Back then though, Audi forgot to tell dealers it was an official recall so they were confused over the whole thing.