Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rubbing sound when braking...a few seconds before the car is about to stop...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing sound when braking...a few seconds before the car is about to stop...

Hi all, my car has 10000K aprox...
When going very slow and pressing the brakes, just a few seconds before the car completely stops, I hear a "rubbing" sound on them...I canīt tell if the sound comes from the front or rare...I think the 4 of them sound...

The sound disappears after accelerating and making a hard stop...but a few days after the sound comes back...

Is this normal? is it only dust and dirt on the brakes?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Rubbing sound when braking...a few seconds before the car is about to stop...

It maybe the pistons not returning fully so I'd be tempted to whip a wheel aliper off and take a ceck for corrosion on the piston, give it a squirt of WD40 to make sure it's free and put it back on. The same occurs when new pads are fitted, which on a car with 10K(Not 10000K I hope!) I'm assuming you haven't done this, the cylinders are not used to being that far back so tend to rest the pads on the discs, causing rubbing.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Rubbing sound when braking...a few seconds before the car is about to stop...

If the sound is whenever the car is moving, it could be a stuck caliper.

However, if it only occurs for the first braking or two of the day then it's probably just dirt and a thin film of rust being scraped off the disc by the pad - it will stop by itelf after a hard braking event or two. You'd be able to see the rust film only a few hours after you last used the car. If it sounds like a scraping/resonating rumble when you are going slowly and brake for the first time of the day then that's it.

you will need to do a hard brake to clean the rear discs as well as the fronts as the rears don't do as much work as the front - a soft slow down won't work, but I'm not talking emergency stop.

My 1.8T used to do this especially in cold or wet weather, but it has stopped now - probably because I drive it harder.

john.