Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

S4 to A3 guy and some newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dude...

I knew someone would spot me over here. Did you get a new car yet? So.. a modded little A3 to play with.. whatdayathink? Cool huh? You can bang the **** outa the thing as soon as I get it set-up. Your mom would be proud of me.. I mean it's not a hybrid but 20+mpg is better than 13. O... wait... don't tell her what a 'test-pipe' is.. she'll kill me.

I blew it on calling you yesterday. I was bored so I headed up into the canyons on the supermoto bike around 2pm it was a ghost town.

But the color looking down from Tuna Canyon onto the ocean yesterday was just SICK. There's a couple off-camber turns down there that you can slide into for like 60ft with the peg on the ground and smoke billowing off the rear tire. The angle is perfect to shoot down and have the ocean in the backround with rider backing-it-in in the main frame. I'm telling you it's a photographers heaven over there. And Tuna is always quiet.

I was sitting there checking out a veiw point going.. "****, I blew it.. the waves are flat as a pancake so know Keegs ain't surfing, I shoulda called him for a photo session.. the color up here is insane"

Today was a nightmare. So many bikes/cars/cops.. me and Marc P. endded up flipping a U-turn at 'top of the world' when we saw 2 chp cars. One tried to chase us... the iddiot was in a car with his lights and sirens going and thought he was gonna catch two sponsored racers on full works SM bikes. I'm sure he was over it when we vanished in 2 seconds. So we bailed down Las Flores and drank beers at Dukes instead of riding.

Well the Supermoto bike is running unreal and just got knew Dunlop slicks. I carved some tread into them myself so the man can't bust me.

Next Sunday it's supposed to be beautiful.. you in? Tuna Cyn.

I need a new sig pic... maybe something with an orange KTM in it...
Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, welcome back. I will be quick.

I have been here only a tad longer... so here are the real and honest answers, flamers be dammed.

Your car will be close to 3,300 lbs.

You can get close to 280 crank, but torque will be at 300. Test pipe will be needed for that.

REVO will get you most power and flexibility (assuming you get Select Plus Switch), GIAC may also work for you if you live close and then would be willing to custom tune your car. If you are doing the fine tuning yourself - go REVO. If you want a setup right out of the box, Revo, Giac, APR and Neuspeed are options.

Get coilovers so you can get the ride height right. You can pick up a set in Temecula if you want.

Enjoy the car, and let me know how you are adjusting to FWD. I know many have considered going A3 to B6 S4, myself included.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the props on the S4 and nice to meet ya!

I'm going to keep it simple with the A3.. or at least try. I don't have to get to any specific HP number I just want to have a little fun. I leased the thing for 2 years and I know I'll have to pull everything off before I drop-kick it back to the dealer.

sofware and the testpipe and an air filter and I'm done with the engine. It'll be whatever it is. Yea, I loved the REVO on my S4. Mainly my loyalty is to the tuner. I will always have Dave at ecode tuning do my software. My software will be whatever he advises me to use. And I will always buy and install all my parts through Eric at SPP... as I have on all my cars for almost 10 years now.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you so I hope you don't mind helpin' a brother out.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 683.. damn.

3 digits! You're a AW pimp. I'll be picking your brain for sure. Thanks for the info!
Old 03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

nah. never a good idea to sell stock stuff.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default real facts

REVO SPS does not give as much adjustability as claimed. In fact, most people who buy REVO SPS have used it to turn down the settings from stock REVO settings because of poor tuning. Check out the REVO link in my sig.

I owned REVO for ~ 6k miles and had SPS plus and played with many settings. Check out my sig for logs for both APR and REVO. I am happy I switched to APR.

Here is a GLI 2.0t owner who has REVO SII and switched to APR SII.

Same dyno.

<a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070716">REVO SII vs APR SII </a>

Notice that in the peak numbers, APR is 2hp/2tq lower, however take any point under 3krpms and you'll see that APR makes significantly more power than REVO. Above 3krpms, both programs are identical.

The owner later swapped out the HFC for a testpipe and got even better results with APR.

<a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3106520"> APR with testpipe</a>

Lastly, REVO runs the engine fairly lean and disables hardware protection maps. APR makes the same (if not more) power while keeping protection maps intact and keeping A/F ratios within a safe region. REVO logs typically show significant timing pull, APR logs show little to none. The SII dynos you saw of APR are a weaker beta program which is going to be superceded with an even stronger program.

Lastly, APR is coming out with a new upgraded high flow fuel pump (weakness on these cars). This is a proprietary pump designed in-house and with specific software written for it. No other company has anything like this in the pipeline for release anytime soon.

Not trying to push you on APR, but trying to prevent you from making the same mistake I did.

Dave
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey thanks for the info.. and another q?

I think Dave at ecode was already pushing me in that direction.

If I do apr + test.. do I need other stuff like fuel pumps and torque arm insert (?) and front mount bushings (?) and DV valve? or anything else... not to go faster but for the car not to run like crap?

I wanna keep it simple but I don't want hurt reliability or make it run like crap. I want it to be done right you know?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yep :-)

That is the particular vendor I was referring to in my first post ;-)

Since you have a 2007, you will have the latest fuel pump (H). The issue with the pumps is that the tolerances on each pump vary greatly. Some pumps are deemed to be crappy and leak such as the original "B" pump (what I have), so companies were blindly recommending replacement with the newer versions (F, and now H) under the pretense of the newer pumps being spec'd to produce and hold more fuel pressure. That was proven to be false, and I haven't had a single fuel cut at all with the APR programming.

DVs: Everyone seems to be hyping them up as being weak, but again, I have my original "B" DV in good working order. The "C" is the newest revision, which I have as well. Neither has failed and with APR I'm running a 20psi hold with a taper down to 11-10psi at redlne. No issues with either DV. Your 2007 will come with the latest "C" version. If you want, ecode sells a dv kit, and forge will be coming out with their version sometime in the future. For me, OEM seems to be doing fine. It is a 15-20 min replacement job anyways.

The torque mount insert and front dogbone bushing mainly help reduce engine movement. Not essential, but highly recommended. I had both of them on my car until I <a href="http://crew219-dmak.blogspot.com/2007/02/vf-engineering-motor-mounts.html">switched to VF mounts</a>. Will have a writeup in the future, but the VF pendulum mount offers benefits over the simple powerflex bushing swap (namely smaller bushing + harder durometer poly).

Only thing I'd really recommend is to pull your stock spark plugs and regap at .028 when chipped. Stock is .032. Be sure to use a proper spark plug gauge when gapping (not the little round discs). I originally used to recommend the NGK BKR7EIX spark plug (one heat range colder) but now no longer run or recommend them. Will post about this in the future.

Dave
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Default lets do this.

I have been shooting a LOTTTTT. My photo chops are coming a long way.

Yeh Mikey told me about the A3 the other day. Thats why i popped my head in here to see if you had introduced yourself yet. The Nogaro is SOLD. rocking the prius right now. Mike was already talking about how he found a white A3 on the internet already all done up with CF hood blah blah and how he is going to dump or "downsize" the RS6 and live practical for a bit.

But lets make some photos soon. we can set up a siiick little set up up there for sure....got some good ideas. The sunset last night was OUT OF HAND. blew it for sure.

Really want to get some photos of the Super motards with smoke and sparks.

WORD. hit me up. i am free friday sat sun mondays. graduating in may. cant do anything tomorrow. taking photos of that band Good Charlotte. but lets get down next week, or whenever there are the fewest cops.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: S4 to A3 guy and some newbie questions...

Wow, Congrats Man!!
You followed my path (kinda). I had a Brilliant Red 2005.5 S4 and got tired of the lack of gains from after-market mods. There's only so much power you can gain in naturally aspirated engines. After spending more and more time on the track, I realized that the S4 was too heavy, and it would cost far too much money for an aftermarket supercharger(ie.. MTM or APR).I wanted a daily driver and a track monster. So, I traded in the S4 for an A3 and Evolution IX MR. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely Loved the S4; it just didn't let me max out my track experiences.
As far as the A3, you will love it!! An APR chip will get you to about 250+ HP by itself. Add on a Carbonio Intake and Full Exhaust, and you might be close to the 300 hp you are looking for. The thing that will annoy you the most (IMO) is the wheel spin that you probably won't be used to. If you are going to track the car, I would not get the Open Sky though. That adds a lot of weight and raises your center of gravity. All in all, I could not be happier with the A3. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!
If you're interested, check out my current track project. (ie.. project eMRie)<ul><li><a href="http://www.corelineracing.com">http://www.corelineracing.com</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: S4 to A3 guy and some newbie questions...