Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Sat module swap problem - Audi Cust. Relations no help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:02 AM
SDR
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat module swap problem - Audi Cust. Relations no help

I bought an A3 in October (dsg, prem, xenon, xm, cold). I worked with a dealer (Vin Devers in Toledo, OH) to locate a car, and the closest match they could find had XM; I wanted Sirius. They agreed to swap the XM module for the Sirius module.

They encountered some technical problem when attempting to swap the modules, so they wrote me an IOU and delivered the car to me while they investigated a solution. The customer service of the dealership was very poor. I had to call/email them several times to determine the status of things. The saleswoman told me the GM was well aware and would be in touch with me. When I finally talked to him, he played dumb about satellite radio in general, and didn't know squat about my situation and their IOU to me.

So, I called Audi Customer Relations. They proved to be worthless. They contacted the dealership and the GM said they would pay for XM for 2 years (no, thanks) or work with me to determine an aftermarket solution (not preferable).

Audi CR also investigated the ability to swap and determined that the "modules cannot be swapped after the car is built from the factory." WTF?

I know many people have swapped sat modules on this forum. Can someone please enlighten me as to how to go about this? Should I just get the Sirius module and take it to an aftermarket shop for them to install? Perhaps it just needs some different adapter or something that Audi is not familiar with.

I sincerely appreciate anyone's help. I paid for a feature that has been useless so far.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd suggest this:

1. Buy a Sirius receiver from e-bay--there are at least 2 available right now.
2. Swap your XM receiver for the Sirius. You can use the pictures in the link below for reference.
3. Sell your XM receiver.<ul><li><a href="http://spaces.msn.com/members/mcdonst1/Blog/cns!1pt6HJLQ8RUTj7GTLFugwSCA!178.entry">Satellite radio install instructions</a></li></ul>
Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Default I could have told you AoA is worthless.

and it sounds like your dealership didn't fall far from the tree either. it makes no sense that there would be a "technical problem" with swapping units. I do like though, how they tried to give you something that you didn't want with a subscription to XM. great job, dingleberries.

they're supposed to swap XM for Sirius in my A3 (if it ever comes).. we'll see if they have a problem. they were the ones who suggested swapping in the first place.

props to you for fighting the man.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know on the B6 Platform the modules are a direct swap...

maybe if you can find someone with XM and Sirus and attempt to swap them see what happens. Would at least be interesting to know.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I had my Sirius module swapped for XM and am having problems.

I posted about this matter recently. For whatever reason I am unable to get the channels other than CH1 preview. Even though I had 3 months of free service as a trial. Now I cannot get the radio to reactivate.

I'd like to know more about this comment about the modules not being able to get swapped after the factory install.

I'm wondering whether I should try to install another Sirius module now.

As a footnote, I should mention the fact my factory installed Sirius module was defective to begin with and that's the reason I swapped for an XM module.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Default I don't know much about this, but maybe your Sirius problems weren't the module and are showing up

with the XM module??
Old 12-30-2005, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I swapped out the XM module for a Sirius one in my A4 after 8 months of ownership.

Took 5 minutes to swap and activated the Sirius unit with no problems.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do recall someone in Parts saying the modules for the A3 are diff.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default off the top of my head there are several modules

8e0-057-593
8e0-057-593-a

8e0-057-593-d
8e0-057-593-e

4e0-057-593
4e0-057-593-a

593 and 593-d are sirius which always has the lower or non suffixed part number.

the 4e modules are for the C6 and D3 which use a fiber optic bus to and from the tuner module rather than a harness.

the 8e D&amp;E modules are for cars with tire pressure monitoring and or RNS-E (radio navigation system E).

I've seen an A3 come without the fuse installed for the tuner before.

I believe the last A3 we did used a 8e-D or E module.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the 8P A3 uses 8E modules

8E being B6 or B7 parts.

8E5 and 8E9 are B6
8EC and 8ED are b7
sedan and avant respectively.

Quick Reply: Sat module swap problem - Audi Cust. Relations no help