Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Shopping A3 2.0T S-Line vs. GTI 4-door...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping A3 2.0T S-Line vs. GTI 4-door...

Pardon the long post, but here it goes...
Before buying the A3, did anyone here also consider the GTI 6MT 4-door?

Here's my short history: I had a '99.5 GTI VR6 for 5 years, then an '04 R32 for about 2 years. We had a baby, so I needed a car that could comfortably fit a rear-facing baby seat. So, I traded it for a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT specB. This was pretty much the only car around $30k that had AWD and had 4 doors.

Well... I have had it less than one year and I'm already missing my old hatchback. If my R32 had 4 doors, I'd still have it today. However, I had to move on... I don't really *need* AWD, and I'd like something with better highway mpg. We also have a 2006 A4 Avant 2.0T and it does great on the highway.

I'm currently on the fence between these:

GTI 6MT, 4-Door, Pkg 2, plus Nav, Ground Effects Kit, Rear Side Airbags -- ~ $30,375

A3 2.0T S-Line, 6MT, 4-Door, plus Bose Audio, Cold, Tech, Rear Side Airbags -- ~$31,890 (this is w/o Nav, which is a complete ripoff at $3,300 )

If I do anything at all, it won't be for another month or two, as I still have to get the title for my car and then research sale/trade possibilities.

I have no idea which one I'd buy, though, and I realize it's really up to me, but I keep wavering back and forth. The GTI seems like more fun. Both are hatchbacks. Interior volume is roughly equivalent. The Audi might have a slight edge, but I haven't been able to find numbers for rear passenger space and total cargo volume. They're basically the same car, but with different skins.

Has anyone driven a 2.0T S-Line? How's their sport suspension compared to what the GTI has? I haven't looked into it yet, but are the 6MT transmissions the same? Performance numbers appear to be the same, so I assume they are. I haven't found too many problems with either car, so little annoyances may be a wash.

I will drive both, and I have considered ditching the Nav option for an aftermarket stereo and maybe aftermarket Nav (i.e., Garmin). I could ditch the Bose Audio in the A3 as well. I have a 10" JL sub lying around, so I would just need the regular OEM stereo to offset some cost of a new HU and amp.

Any opinions or experiences? Gracias.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 AM

4-door GTI???
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Is there something you didn't understand?

One more general question about the A3:

Is the premium pkg necessary to get the driver info display, or is that included in the S-Line pkg?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Default http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/11732/2007-volkswagen-gti-5-door.html

<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/11732/2007-volkswagen-gti-5-door.html">http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/11732/2007-volkswagen-gti-5-door.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM

Default I looked at both....

but the 4 door GTI was not yet at the dealer. I drove both and for me the A3 S-Line immediately came out ahead, although I'm not dissin' the GTI. It's a great car.

I just liked the way the Audi felt better and IMHO thought the interior was much nicer and the felt more like my TT on the road. I also could not get down with the Nav.

I believe the trannies are the same. I had the Bose system in my TT and wasn't all that impressed. You'll do better with an aftermarket stereo system.

You can't get premium and S-Line together as far as I know.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have that magazine. :) Good article, though they praise the A3 2.0T in much the same way.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning toward the GTI just to save $3-4k.

In the end, the amount left on my current car loan and how much I'd get for a trade of my specB will determine how much I can spend. I figure around $30k is my limit, provided I can get $23-25k for my trade (MSRP for the 2006 specB was ~$33-34k new, and I got a discount to ~$31k).
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The trip computer is included in the S-line package..
Old 12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good info...

I wonder why they stick with Bose? We had it in our old 2001 S4 Avant and it sounded muffled, like all that was coming through was mid-range. No highs, no lows... must be Bose? :P lol

I think the decision might come down to how the suspension feels on both cars. The GTI's setup has improved, but I don't know if it qualifies as a "sport suspension." You know... because Europe has always received the real suspensions and the US receives watered down crap (at least for VW).

I had to upgrade to the Euro-OEM suspension when I had my R32. That was a *huge* improvement.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So it's the same? The website appears to have different descriptions...

...but if it's the same as what you'd get in the premium package, then it's good.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Default The S-Line suspension...

is tight but in a harsh way. There are some Koni FSD's in the future. Yes you are right we get the watered down crap.

One other crap issue is tires. Most A3's comes with Pirelli P6, which are crap tires. I don't know what was on the GTI because I didn't look that close. But a new pair of shoes is also in the game.

Quick Reply: Shopping A3 2.0T S-Line vs. GTI 4-door...