Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

So I test drove one last night....impressions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I test drove one last night....impressions....

First, I need to mention that I've had 2 Audis before, both sort of old school if you wish, 1995 90 and right now I'm driving a 1990 Coupe Quattro. So, I went, I wanted to try DSG, sport or premium didn't matter but I got Ocean blue w/sport and DSG.

The interior of the car is tight, well its a new Audi. Even my 15yr old one feels almost as solid. I felt that front doors are a bit to small, the entrance area felt too small, I'm 6'1" and ~220lbs, but I think the primary reason it felt like that is that my CQ is a 2 door and doors a quite wide and pen on a 90degree angle. When I seated myself the B-pillar was right next to my shoulder. I liked how steering wheel feels and its smaller diameter, compared to what my 90 or CQ had(read bus wheel), though I have a MOMO that I've been using in my cars. Manual seat adjustments are ok, one thing I didn't like is the way seat bottom height is adjusted - you have to pump the lever to bring it up or down and I missed the option of tilting the whole seat backwards, sort of bringing the front end higher and back lower - my CQ has that - you get closer to a F1 position that way, though its nt too big of a deal as this would be my daily driver. Rear seat I didn't bother with, my GF said it was good, she is small girl though.

Exterior, not much to say, it looks hot!

Driving impressons. I bnever had servotronic in any of my cars so I like that quite a bit. Engine - it is as good as many have said already. I like the torque and all, but I think for those who like to drive hard this motor is bit much for FWD. I pulled quick on one light and tires were spinning and esp kicking in all the way to 2nd gear. I don't know what are those people going to do with those chips and 300TQ number!?!? Didn't get a chance to take any corners (deler was downtown Chicago) so I can't comment much on that. Brakes felt strong though a it soft for my taste, actually way too soft of a feel.

Finally, DSG. Yes, its smooth, yes its quick, but its an automatic. I've had manuals all my life so maybe, and only maybe, I would get used to it but I don't think I would buy it. This sales guy tells me, "that's what they use in F1" - I'm trying to be nice so I ask him, how come its only $2k or so, I thought the F1 cars are upwards of few mil??

Well, to sum it up - its a very nice car, stylish, versatille, but I would really consider it if it was quattro+manual. And even besides that, even though I can afford it I can see myself paying $30K for something that is a smidge better than my current car. Yeah, its more refined and all that but in the end its just a car.
Curious to hear your answers>>>
Old 09-25-2005, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few things. Power seats in the premium package

allow for the seat bottom tilt. I really like it because I'm short and want the seat as high as possible, but don't want the front of the seat cushion to press into my leg when I depress the clutch, so it can be tilted down a bit in front.

I really like the short doors. Less weight to heave. You can park in tighter spots and still get out. Again, this is useful if you're short, since if you have long doors and the seat moved up all of the way, you need a lot of room to open the doors all of the way.

I have a stick. I chose it because I like to fiddle wiith it in traffic (unlike most folks). The torque steer is not nearly so pronounced in a manual tranny car as it is in DSG. Of course when it arrives in the V6/QTR in a few months, DSG will probably make even more sense. I still want my V6 in stick though ;-)
Old 09-25-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: So I test drove one last night....impressions....

I test drove one today as well and was very impressed. I have definently decided to trade the MINI for the A3. Not now though. Maybe in Feb. I will order one as I want it to be loaded. I'm really disappointed with the way they do the packages. I want the electric seat, I'm long in the leg and like to tilt the seat back to get more support. They make you order the conv. package with the sport package. It just doesn't make much sense. I drove the Premium w/ DSG. I've been a long time manual tranny fan until today. DSG for me now goodbye stick. Overall I'm real impressed with the fit and finsh. MINI could really learn a lot from Audi.

Brief note on the dealership. They don't know their product. The salesman couldn't answer any of my questions. Good thing we have the internet now. Most of my answers were answered by the brochure he gave me. They don't even read their own brochures! Also the dealership only had base manuals and one premium w/ DSG. I have yet to see the sport package. I need to sit in the sport to see if the seat will work with my frame. Not a big guy just long legged. I guess I'll have to head up to Winston Salem to see if they have any sport packages.

What are the differences between the Premium and Sport w/ Conv.? Seats obviously are there any interior differences?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

You get aluminum vent rings with the sport package.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I'll go back to drive a manual, may not be as bad. And i don't mind "fiddling"

with a shifter. Actually, it doesn't even crosses my mind I'm doing it, its all natural and "automatic".
Old 09-25-2005, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Driving any form of automatic (including DSG) feels like a form of sensory deprivation to me :-)

I know there are plenty of people who choose an automatic or manu-matic type tranny for perfectly sound reasons, but I just like being totally involved all of the time.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Driving any form of automatic (including DSG) feels like a form of sensory deprivation to me :-)

Nothing wrong with that. I can understand, When I shifted and it was in gear faster than I could even believe I realized that I could never shift that smooth or fast. For me I handed the crown over to the DSG it even get's better mileage than I could get on my own.

I understand the involvement though. For me though the Audi A3 or any luxury car removes you from the action with all the padding etc. For a real involved driving experience I suggest buying an old Miata or some other small simple car just you the motor and a stick. Nothing beats it in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I understand you completely.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I have plenty of much more involving cars than the Audi - I just wanted an unfussy

daily grocery getter. The Alfas have done that admirably over the years (in LA no less), but they are tiring to drive well, since they require far more input and attention than most modern cars. Far more unique and practical shape than a Miata too (though I love Miatas .

No argument that DSG is faster and smoother. I'd want it on the track any day. Just enjoy the interplay of clutch, gas, and shifter more for every day driving.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: I have plenty of much more involving cars than the Audi - I just wanted an unfussy

Yeah, maybe i'm just getting old and lazy. I stopped going to track days a year after I bought the MINI. Even though the MINI was a real hoot to drive on the track. The Miata was a real white knuckler(sp?) on the track. The MINI with it's tendency to push was actually a lot more forgiving and as a result a lot more fun to drive. Maybe the A3 and the DSG will get me going again!

Quick Reply: So I test drove one last night....impressions....