Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

So Saturday (tomorrow) I'm going car shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Saturday (tomorrow) I'm going car shopping...

Not buying day, mind you, but my major shopping day. I have to decide this coming week on my next car. Next Saturday is signing day.

It's either the A3, 330i sport, or an S4. The pre-owned marked for S4s kinda dried up on me around here all of the sudden... I may go for new 2005 (B6) but it's a bit more than I want to spend.

With the A3 I am bummed quattro isn't out yet. I have had lots of FWD cars and I am ready for a change. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer. I am planning on MT over DSG at least. The A3 is really the best fit for my overall driving needs/wants.

With the 330i, I am not crazy about the interior. Exterior is OK, (but I like the A3's looks better). The driving dynamics of the 330i are SO nice though.

The S4 is perfect, but I am thinking it will be a financial mistake (price, fuel cost, depreciation and insurance). If the right one comes along at the right price, I am in. I have dreamt about getting one for the last year. When you consider you could get a low mileage B6 S4 for the same cost as an A3 3.2 DSG when they come out (around 40K), it is a compelling option.

We will see... They each have their merits.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default gotta get the used s4. you can find one for around 40k

<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=43902&amp;item =4551022736&amp;rd=1">example</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2005, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so any conclusions yet?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM

Default So it looks like I am going to the dark side...

The BMW dealer is just making it too easy for me. The 330i is very nice. Found a nice 2006 in Sparkling Graphite metallic with black leatherette and aluminum trim(I know leatherette sucks) and sport package only. Comes in at $39,150. Not too bad really for 255 hp. It's $1500 for leather, and if for some reason the dealer trade doesn't go through (this car is in the bay area right now) I will just order the same basic car with leather.

I finally drove an A3 with stick yesterday and I was VERY impressed. Am I mistaken or did I actually induce some oversteer in a big sweeping corner? SWEET. The MT I drove wasn't even sport package and it really handled nicely! It took my $1500 in suspension to be able to do that in my old GTI (back in 1989 $1500 was a lot of money!). I have to say I was really impressed when pushed hard, it didn't really understeer as much as I was expecting. You folks that are owners have a nice car there. The power in the 2.0T is amazing, and it comes on very early. Much better than the 1.8T. If anyone reading this has any doubts, DRIVE THE CAR. If they would have had a Lava Grey, Black Leather with sport on the lot, I probably would have bought it on the spot, but they didn't. (at 3 dealers I went to).

I am really very sad that I am not getting an Audi. If they had the 3.2 DSG Q, or even the 2.0 T Q right now in the US I would probably buy one. Audi, are you listening?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well well...

to the dark side it is. I was there once but it wasn't really dark, it was great actually. Only my ride had a 333hp straight six..lol!

I'm sure the 330i is a nice ride but I'm not sure about your justification of 255 hp being only 39k and change though. If you consider that the Acura TL has 270 and is loaded with everything including an awesome navigation system, etc. There's probably others here who would mention some other makes/models out there too. When it comes to price per hp, BMW is not a good deal IMO. It's just that everyone has caught up and even passed them in that department. Mind you, I'm talking only about power, not handling, etc. I just can't get myself to like the Bangleized cars I guess. Be wary of the i-drive if your 330 has anything remotely related to it.

At least you're sticking with a teutonic machine! Pop in now and then and let us know how it drives. Btw, that sounds like a very nice color choice.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Well, I haven't signed yet, but it is supposed to be here tomorrow

I can still back out, but I think we have reached the point of no return. 330i, Sport Package only. No navigation or i-drive thankfully. Dark gray metallic, black interior with aluminum trim. MT of course. It's basically a "stripped down" sport 330i. I like the idea of that configuration. Not a bunch of crap on the car.

A few things that bother me about the BMW though:

1. No alarm system. It's wired for one, but no alarm installed. Unforgivable.

2. Fold down seats not standard. It's only a $475 option, but the one I am getting doesn't have them. I could order a car, but it would take 2 months. I surf, ski, mountain bike and snowboard. That isn't going to work without fold down seats. My wife has a Ford Escape 4x4 (company car) though, so I guess we will just take that to the mountains/beach from now on. As you all know, fold down seats are standard on Audis. (and I think VWs too).

3. Leather not standard. The one I am getting has "leatherette". (We call that "pleather" where I come from). It's only $1500 for leather, and is standard with premium package, but my car has the pleather. At least I am told it lasts longer...

On the upside, the CD player does play MP3 CDs, and there is a jack to plug in an Ipod in a cooled compartment that also will chill a can of soda. Kinda goofy but nice.

If anyone knows of anyone in the Central Coast area looking for a very clean 97 Jetta GLX, let me know. $6000 right now. I managed to scrape a wall with the bumper when I was shopping at the Audi dealer last week, but it isn't too bad. I have loved this car and will be sad to see it go. Sorry for the OT.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1958961
Old 05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds nice but I agree with you about...

being odd with not having an alarm system. I guess Bimmers don't come standard with them. Now that I think about it, I had to order it for my 2002 M3. My VW Touareg came with it as a standard feature and of course the new A3 as well. Honestly, that's the kind of stuff I was alluding to earlier about things costing too much with BMW. Don't get me wrong, BMW makes fantastic cars, some of the best and everyone knows that.

The folding seats one surprised me however. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact it's the sport version?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 AM

Default No actually folding seats are not standard...

On any 3 series BMW. Unless you order Cold Weather package or specifically order the fold down seats as a single option. At least you can order the fold down seats as a stand alone option (and don't have to order a whole package to get it). I definitely applaud Audi for offering them as standard equipment though.

I also agree that the 255hp for $39K isn't really that great of a trade-off considering the G35 with 260hp and the Acura TL, but I drove the G35, and was very interested in the G35 coupe, but I didn't feel they drove as well as the 3 overall. Not to mention that Car and Driver posted 5.6 seconds 0-60 on the new 330i. (BMW claims 6.1)( But it's not all about numbers, as we all know. The most fun I ever had in a car was in my 1983 (and later 1984) GTIs with 90 hp. 0-60 in 10.0 seconds! But if you ever got to drive one you know what I mean. (It was actually a LOT like the A3, only the A3 is much quicker and handles better too). I think that is why I liked the A3 so much actually. It is a very good size for a single person or a couple with no kids, and it has everything you need without having things you don't need.

The TL is also compelling option, but it also is FWD and I was really ready to try the RWD platform for a while. (G35 got it right there at least).

It's great for those of us that love cars to have so many good options these days. The A3 is basically offering near 1980s supercar performance in a very attractive, comfortable and stylish car. Now, Audi, give us QUATTRO!!!