Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

So you didn't get Nav? Check out a smart option!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tx/tomtom

good points. well I have used this for over 10 days now. The reason I posted this thread is simple. I love this gadget. And I think anyone who doesn't have nav, and is interested in technology and/or needs a pda, YOU NEED THIS. it's worth it.

I like garmin, I've owned 5 of them, I have a garmin3 mounted on my mtn bike. I have a 3+ that I used to use in cars, but it doesn't have a color screen, or the roads like this. it also takes forever to scroll in an address.

with the palm tx/tomtom I can visit my palm pilots contact list, which contains 1000 people/businesses. I can click on a contact and in 3 seconds the unit has evaluated 25m roads and figured out how to get there.

I only put nav software onto a 1gb sd card, along with 4 full length cds, and 50jpegs/mpegs. When I need them or the nav, I plug in the sd card. This way my palm stays fresh.

The gps/nav by tomtom seems to be great, and like I said I DO have other gps experience.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the battery life?

Do you plan to hard-wire the TX or GPS receiver?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: How is the battery life?

the gps has lasted a full 2 weeks with decent use. I still haven't had a need to charge it.

the unit itself lasted the first week of playing around and useage with only the initial charge.

but then I began to listen to mp3, wifi browsing, showing off jpegs over Xmas, mpegs.. it needs a charge every 3 days now. Not bad at all.

you can plug it into the wall. or usb from your computer will charge (as well at hot sync obviously).

hardwire? I won't hw the gps bluetooth, b/c it's working really well, and that would defeat the purpose of a bluetooth item, it looks stealth right now.

the unit itself? I doubt it. but we'll see, I'm normally hardwire happy.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would look sweet mounted under CC
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: tx/tomtom

Ry:

I also use my Garmin on my Giant XTC mt bike - do you use the special springs to keep the batteries from losing contact?

Also, I find that my Garmin active antenna works extra well if I stick it up in the shade area of the Open Sky -- much better view of the "birds" than on the dash, so if you lose lock in urban areas or under heavy tree cover, you might wanna try that.

Enjoy.

-dan
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: tx/tomtom

lol. That's funny. I don't see too many riders with gps. I haven't had any trouble with the batteries losing contact. The basic spring on the door has worked fine for me. I do some downhill, however not exclusively.

The active antenna, I used it in previous vehicles but didn't want to clutter up the A3 with it, how did you run the cable for it? I won't need it any longer with the tx/bluetooth antenna, but just curious.

btw. schwinn homegrown, xt/xtr all around, rapid fire shifters, 747s. also ride a cannondale r600 roady in the summer for training.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Thanks! One more question...

I've seen one TX owner complain of a high pitched whine from the screen. This would be a deal breaker since it would drive my wife nuts. Notice anything like that?

Thanks for posting this. You helped me finally decide on my Christmas gift. I'm planning to pick up a TX with GPS this afternoon.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default question...

that guy should return it, sounds defective. I've never heard any screen make noise on a pda or gps unit.

hope you like it. wish I sold them myself. I love it so much!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Oops, one more q...

I can't find any info on cost of map updates. Any idea?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Oops, one more q...

no idea. the road I live on is relatively new and it's in there! if I do any research on this I'll advice. Likewise, please though

Quick Reply: So you didn't get Nav? Check out a smart option!