Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Some REVO 93 testing that might be worth a look for some of you guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sorry Dave... but this is not right.

I would feel better about your post if you:

Documented your APR logs in the same way. The fact that you did not leads me to believe... wait... just document them please.

Got some 1/4 mile times on both setups.

Told people on VW Vortex that you switched to APR.

(I know that logging and reporting take A LOT of time. And I know how ****ty it feels when people question your motives. Go to the brakes forum and look for my Brembo post to see what I mean. But I am sorry, I am questioning your motives. And if you were in Seattle, this would have been MUCH easier. ANYONE IS SEATTLE WITH a APRd A4???)
Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tomasz, there is more to the story and from what George seems to be hinting

he's been getting external influence slandering my name.

I have planned on documenting APR the same exact way from day one. It has never been a hidden fact that I am very busy at school, and that I do not use windows computers so I have to rely on my roommate to run logs. This week was fall break and he opted to go home while I stayed here, hence why I wasn't able to do it over the weekend. He is back as of tonight and we talked about doing logs either this thursday or friday.

My initial plan was to go and get an APR trial flash and then revert back to REVO since a new REVO distributor just opened up in Syracuse (40 miles away + I go there all the time). Then I was told by George that if I flashed over with anything else, I would have to pay full price for a REVO reflash because REVO's policy does not include lifetime reflashes like every other chip company.

I was then faced with the decision of either going APR or staying with REVO (knowing that George would not reflash me for a chip that I had already purchased). I ran the logs on thursday, checked EVERYTHING and lo and behold, a problem with REVO's software that I had been hinted to a few months before was indeed true. This was the same problem that I asked my distributor about prior to purchasing REVO in which he responded that he ran tons of logs, and that there was barely a 50C difference between the lean and a super rich condition. I should have asked to see the logs because it was obviously not true.

In the end, I've always been about full disclosure and I knew that I was going to get a lot of flak either way if I switched programs. From the logs that I've received from another A3 member and two other GTI members, we're seeing the same thing. So far, it looks as if the EGTs are falling nicely as timing gets reduced so perhaps that's an option.

I do have a question for you though . . . it seems that there is varying thought on the fueling setting on SPS. From what I understood, there are only two settings, performance and stock. However, George indicates that the fueling is on a gradient and that there are nine different settings for A/F. Do you know which is true? I thought about messing around with the fueling settings, but it seemed as if the SPS manual was explicit about not deviating from a "9" when chipped.

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Former Vendor

Default You're leaving out a pretty important fact...

Firstly, what was your motivation for 'trying' APR's program? Not that you needed one but there apparently was one. You obviously expressed your concerns about Revo to APR, why else would they have offered you programming? The big issue here Dave, is that you never once came to us to say, I have questions about my tuning. You came to me with a hypothetical scenario and presented it under false pretenses. Had you simply told me what was really going on, you would have gotten a very different response.

In your rush to retaliate and kindle the fire beneath us by rousing the 'troops' you're missing the one very important fact. Your tuning is <B>FULLY</B> adjustable. Instead of being so intent on using VAG-COM to find faults to make accusations, you could be using it, along with your Select-Plus to tune your car to EXACTLY the performance it is capable of delivering. That is the beauty with our software.

Consider if you were having this issue with one of our competitors? What would you do? Live with it running that way or switch it back to stock. You have TOTAL control over your programming and how it runs on YOUR car. And that may better or less than it could run on someone else's car. With our products, customers have the ability to TUNE their programming for their specific driving environment. Weather you live in the North East and have to deal with 10% ethanol on the fuel, or you line in Arizona with 100 degree ambient temps and 91 octane fuel. Weather you have a 9in downpipe or a tipple stacked FMIC, our software is fully tunable to those conditions, be it environmental, mechanical, or fuel related.

The bottom line is you seem to be squandering this ability for what ever reason. Below is a link to our SPS advanced users guide. I use the term 'advanced' lightly as it is a very comprehensive tutorial. For those of you caught up in the fray, take a moment to download the PDF. Read through it and make your own decisions. I just think it's odd that you [Dave] have had everything you need to optimize your car yet you decided to go this route.<ul><li><a href="http://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SPS3_advancedUserGuide060406.pdf">SPS-3 and Select Plus advanced users guide.</a></li></ul>
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, keep on logging and let us know what you find out.

I do not know the answer to the fueling question. So far I have been leaving it alone. As to EGTs, which block have you logged?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Former Vendor

Default The fueling adjustment is a range.

'0' is near stock and should request about 10.5:1 '9' being the 'Performance' setting should request about 12.5:1.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default George your assumption that I have not tried multiple settings is incorrect.

I have tried several combinations, logging both timing and boost.

Reducing timing down to 3 seriously made me ponder exactly why I got chipped in the first place. It was slower than any other chipped car I drove and it had a very poor transition from no-boost to on-boost.

George, my situation was absolutely truthful. The fact that you continue to insinuate that I have a hidden agenda is insulting and hypocritical, given that you have done worse things to undermine other companies when their users were having problems with their programs.

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did block 034 (primary O2)

Block 112 is an estimate (don't know if it's calculated through the ECU or VAG-COM) which uses data from the primary O2 sensor anyways . . .

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Default Dave. The fact is, you had concerns about your programming and never addressed them with us or me.

or at the very least, the dealer that installed it on your car. I asked earlier what was it that got you thinking about trying APR's sofware? You have yet to respond.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 AM

Wow I stand corrected...Thx Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default George, I have posted it on quite a few forums exactly why I was motivated to try APR

Several of the people I talk to own APR software. I've consistently talked to them through both the good and the bad. I respect their opinions. One of them even tried REVO and was considering switching. However, APR came out with their revision, and he got that instead. Immediately he told me how much better the program was from the old and he's been running 2 months without any issues, and better power and smoothness than the REVO trial chip.

George, I did email you. I emailed you before I did the logs. Your responses were generic and business-like. Also, you are not an engineer and I know that your responses would be more geared to salesmanship than any technical fact (as witnessed by your responses on here and vortex). So far your response to this whole thing has been "well you should buy an SPS so you can control your own software"

I didn't contact my distributor because there is a lack of trust, now that I saw the results of the logs. He told me that there was less than a 50C difference in EGTs from stock, and that running lean was perfectly fine. He assured me that he did multiple logs, and that he was even going to mount a proper EGT sensor in his manifold to double check. Had he actually done these logs, and not fabricated a story to placate me, he would have seen that this wasn't the case. I am no longer interested in doing business with him because of the lack of trust.

Now a question for you, <b>why won't REVO give lifetime reflashes to purchasers of REVO software, if their software is lost due to reasons other than dealer reflash or ecu replacement?</b>

Dave

Quick Reply: Some REVO 93 testing that might be worth a look for some of you guys