Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Squealy michelins

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 03:06 PM
DHA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealy michelins

anyone else had this problem, 9000 motorway miles on my tyres and going round some corners it sounds like im going at 10/10ths when im only at 5/10ths. What is happening? They have loads of tread left.
Old 10-29-2000, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Squealy michelins

there's an island near me that must have a different compound tarmac or something, as you can go round it in anything and it sounds like an american car chase! not sure on your problem though?
Old 10-29-2000, 03:22 PM
DHA

Default Surfaces

Sometimes it is an off camber corner or round-a-bout
Old 10-29-2000, 03:29 PM
DHA

or maybe haldex?
Old 10-29-2000, 04:20 PM

Mine sounds like that too.
Old 10-30-2000, 05:22 AM

Default More likely surfaces... (long)

I have 11K with loads of tread on a 1.8QT. So our positions are similar.

Got pulled over on the way to work one morning by a copper who told me I was going hell for leather... The fact is I was going round an empty motorway roundabout at 40 ish. The reason was excessive noise, not from my stereo, but from tyre noise!!

Pointed out to her the quattro badge on the back. She had a little word, but was unable to prosecute me for anything so off I went anyhow...

The car was very well behaved, but there is a coating on the road of the white powder, I presume they place it for grip when braking, seen it a lot on roads..

It made the car sound like something out of Starsky and Hutch (except there were no rolling hub caps!).

I tried a test again a number of times, after driving at various speeds with constant throttle, or accelerating as you drive round the roundabout it makes no difference. It was the road itself.

I think part of the problem is that if the road is clear from traffic the quattro can go round corners much quicker, so if you are driving quickly you will always be the one with the squaly tyres!!

It does help with keeping my speed up under general driving, but the squealing still remains.

So I just try to look like it isn't me making the noise.... honest!
Old 10-30-2000, 09:11 AM

Default Re: More likely surfaces... (long)

not wanting to start up an old argument, the quattro can only physically go faster out of the corner on acceleration, with a possible loss coming in and on turning due to extra weight, 4wd only helps get the power down! (oh god what have I started, here we go again!!!!!)
Old 10-30-2000, 08:45 PM

Default Dont forget, even at a constant speed in a corner, acceleration is still there.

Though more in a lateral rather than forward direction. So to keep constant speed, accelerator has to be applied, and quattro can apply more lateral force as less forward force is going through the driving wheels - remember acceleration is a vector.

Make sense? If not attend an Audi Quattro experience day, they explain it a lot better.

Graham
Old 10-31-2000, 03:54 AM
DHA

Default I hate the looks people give me

I go round corners at 30mph and the tyres sound like an american car chase and people on the side of the road give me real evil looks. :#
Old 10-31-2000, 05:10 AM

Default Bingo Graham!! That is the problem!

So I guess the pure fact of keeping the throttle, pushes the tyres sideways more instead of forwards, hence you have 4 tyres making noise (other than 2 and a bit in a 2WD car), helped by EDL which moves power based on loss of traction, so once a tyre makes some noise as it is losing traction the power is moved to another wheel which presumably then starts as the road surface is poor??

I used to drive a previous car with traction Control, hence all thought went out of driving as the engine was retarded to cope with slip. So driving was 'just boot it'.

As I have none of that now, and found it to be quicker going round a corner by entering slightly slower and then keeping the throttle constant. I changed my driving pattern.

I then changed as I discovered that a gradual increase in throttle as you were cornering actually produced a quicker exit and (as long as you didn't remove the power - eeeekk!) then the exit was much more controlled and fun.

I tend to drive with constant throttle on new corners, and once I have done them a couple of times start to push the throttle a bit each time (not too much as I don't want to end up in hedges!!

Would the same corner be quieter in a 2WD car??

Bummer, better start driving like an old man now!!!!

Quick Reply: Squealy michelins