Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Straight line stability with performance tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight line stability with performance tires

Thinking of going with PS2's on my 3.2, but I'm concerned about the lack of straight line stability with more agressive tread.

On my two previous cars I had,(respectively), Bridgestone SO3's and Bridgestone REO70's. In both cases the tires tramlined like a truffle pig--they followed every crevice in the road and I was constantly fighting the steering wheel to track straight ahead.

The problem was eliminated completely when I went to Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter driving.
Stability was excellent, but as you'd expect from snow tires, dry road handling suffered big time.

Here's my concern. The sorry *** P6's that came with my car track straight ahead--that's their only virtue. But I don't want to shell out big $$$ for Pilot Sports and lightweight wheels if I have to wrestle with the wheel on Idaho's beaten up roads.

Advice is needed and would be appreciated.

TIA
Old 07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I had 18" PS2's on OZ Superleggeras on my WRX and I loved them.

I will be getting them soon( haven't decided on wheels yet) for my 3.2.I never had any problem with them tracking straight or being too overly sensative to road imperfections.I do miss them, these P6's SUCK!!!!!! Good luck.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Every model of car feels different even if you run the same tires. I tried SO3s and they

did tramline a lot - and were noisy.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default my thoughts....

The stickier the rubber, the higher the performance, the more it'll tramline. It's a package deal, and I doubt there will be a big difference in tramlining between tires that are in the same performance category.
The road conditions and alignment of the vehicle are or greater concern IMO.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 PM

i am running pirelli pzero nero and have no issues and they are MP category tires.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Mike, April, I appreciate the feedback, but are there forum members that

have gone to aftermarket rubber on either the 2.0 or 3.2? (preferably the latter). This will give me a better idea of what to expect.

Thx
Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running Dunlop SP Sport Maxx right now

They're a very comfortable neutral max performance tire. No road noise, very sticky, very capable in the turns, and not overly harsh.

No tramlining either. I'm a huge fan.

Dave
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I run Toyo T1R on my 2.0T. Massive change in grip, minimal (although evident at times)

tramlining, reasonable if not fantastic noise control.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Elder Member

Default Oddly enough, the SP Sport Maxx on our A4 seems to tramline a bit.

Driving the same freeway, the A3 with the stock Pirellis is straight as an arrow, while with the A4 and the stock Dunlop SP Sport Maxxes, I have to regularly adjust the wheel to keep it straight.

I'm sure it's not just the tire, but the suspension and other things that could be the culprit, but I know that the Dunlops on the A4 tramline.

I've got 16K miles on the A3 now and will be looking for a new set of shoes soon. I know the stock Pirellis are not on the list of replacements. I would still consider the Dunlops, though.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hmm it is very possible depending on how the alignment is set (namely toe)

Either way, any tire that doesn't have the V pattern is always going to be subject to some tramlining. I'd be surprised if a tire such as the Goodyear F1 GSD3s tramlined.

Dave

Quick Reply: Straight line stability with performance tires