Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree with some of your drawbacks, but after market is always questionable

I don't use Open Sky at highway speed--too noisy. But that's OK as I find the panoramic glass enjoyable enough.

At first I wished for an opaque screen rather than the mesh. But the A/C works great--I have no heat problems. Maybe in the deep south it might be more of an issue (I'm in the Northeast). On a hot day, I'll prop open the sunroof and leave the mesh closed--works great for dissipating interior heat. Also, I think Audi made some improvements on the mesh screen clasp so it won't break as easily as it did on the '06 models.

Loss of 2" headroom? I'm 6' tall and sitting in the back seat feels just fine.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Given how the Open Sky is designed, I wonder if you could get a very large

after market moonroof installed that would slide inside the roof (rather than above). Obviously, the reason why the Open Sky panel rides on top is due to the fixed rear glass.

So, if you could get an aftermarket moonroof as wide as Open Sky but about 25% longer, that would retract into the roof... wow, I think I'd forgo Open Sky to have that instead. :-)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check these out...

Specifically, the "Hollandia 790" model might meet your criteria with following size:

Glass panel: 39 1/2" x 19"
Look thru opening: 32 3/4" x 13 1/2"

Webasto is really high quality but also very expensive though -- German made and from what I have been told, often the maker of high-end OEM sunroofs for automakers. I have read a press release indicating that they supply sunroofs to VW and DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes) as well as spoilers to Porsche.

One benefit of their "Spoiler Sunroof" series is that I'd guess it takes up less space and requires less work to install in headliner. But like you I think I'd prefer the integrated design.<ul><li><a href="http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_auto_sunroofs.html">http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_auto_sunroofs.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ... and a PDF with interior shots of one installed - in an Impala!

<ul><li><a href="http://www.webastoshowroom.com/images/04Chevy_Impala_790.pdf">http://www.webastoshowroom.com/images/04Chevy_Impala_790.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's a Q7 sunroof

I emailed Barrier and asked for more info on the sunroof and he said that it's the same sunroof they use on the Q7. He couldn't give me any pics or specs but I could probably find some online.

I've been really happy with the service at Barrier. It probably helps that I was referred by one of their "preferred customers" too though.

Edit: just looked online and looks like a pretty nice sunroof. It says it's a <a href="http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/w/Z/audi_q7_4189.jpg">panoramic sunroof</a> I wonder if they're actually installing all the panels. On the Q7 it's a $1850 option!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's funny. I wish I had the spin dial like my old A4. ;)

More control. And the A3 button looks out of place to me.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default wished the A3 button closed all the way when you push it, instead of having to hold it...

i find myself using my keyfob when walking away to close it instead.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Never say never, but.....

I can't see it. You are not gonna get that second piece of glass behind your head for $900.

Also, you may get a glass the size of the Q7 (really?), but you are not going to get the metal finished edge around the sunroof opening, you will get a metal,rubber or plastic molding around the outside edge.

Something sounds fishy here. Ask exactly who is the manufacturer and installer of the sunroof, the model number, take a look at it before they cut an irreparable hole in your roof and then decide. I don't have open sky, and it is fine for me.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That VAG-COM enabling function is still very nice to have!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looks promising. Odd how they don't have more vehicles spec'd out

No sign of any Audi compatibility shown. You have to contact a local dealer. Pthhhhpt.

Quick Reply: sunroof