Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension questions

Hi,

I have a diesel Audi A3 1.9tdi (2002). I have put a set of 18 inch rs6 wheels on the car and am looking at upgrading the suspension. The ride is slightly harsher with the 18 inch wheels as i was on 15 inch wheels. I want to lower the suspension but i do not want the ride to become too harsh and bumpy.

Do you guys think with 40mm it will become too bumpy? Does it depend on the quality of the springs, if so which ones are best to go for? And does it make a difference if i change just the springs, the whole suspension or get coilovers?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM RS6 wheels weigh around 29lbs before tires. The overall package probably weighs

around 55lbs per corner (approx 25kg). Any time you run with such heavy unsprung weight at each corner of the car, ride quality, acceleration, braking, and turn-in are all diminished because the suspension has to work harder to keep that mass under control. It's like adding 10lb weights to your running shoes and then trying to sprint.

I bring this up because to get a soft ride, you want fairly soft springs with shocks that are tuned to match the compression rate and car weight. That soft combo won't control those heavy wheels and tires very well. So while the initial impact of a bump will be well absorbed with this combo, the secondary motions may be less than pleasant.

Obviously a firmer suspension will control the wheels better, but perhaps a bit bumpier than you want. Remember that with lowering, the suspension needs to be stiffer so the car won't bottom out. Especially true of the tdi, which has a fairly heavy engine.

Overall coilovers are probably your best hope, since it addresses both the spring and shock upgrade at one time and you can be sure they are tuned to match. Try to get some rides in modified A3s to see if there is a suspension solution you like. Any GTGs in your area? Another option is to ditch the heavy wheels and tires and buy some quality light weight wheels if you want the larger diameter.