Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

TDI oil change with Pela extractor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI oil change with Pela extractor?

I just did my first oil change on the TDI using my trusty Pela extractor. Now I'm a bit confused...

I extracted through the dipstick tube, then extracted the oil from inside the filter holder, but I was only able to extract just over 2 quarts total. The Audi website says the oil capacity is just over 4 quarts. Where is the rest of the oil and how do I get it out?
I pre-filled the filter holder with 1 quart then put the new filter in and put 1 quart in the oil filler. The dipstick read full.
I ran the car for about 30 seconds and it sounded fine. I checked the dipstick a few times and it still read full. I added another half quart and drove it around the block - still reads full...

I've been using the Pela for years, but this is the first time on my TDI. Other than using the dipstick tube, how else do I get ALL the old oil out? (without dropping the belly pan and draining it).
I buy filters in bulk and want to continue to do my own oil changes, but want to use the extractor. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!
Mike
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Mike,

Have you considered doing one old fashioned oil change to compare your extracted volume vs. drained volume? That might be the best way to answer your question.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Chris,

I'll give it a go the old fashion way just to see how much oil is actually in there. Since the dipstick reads full I'm sure I'll get the full amount out. I'm also going to try extracting the oil again and see if something was preventing the Pela tube from going all the way in. I don't know how far the tube goes in, to the bottom of the oil pan?, but I used the Pela successfully for many years on my 1.8 Passat. Maybe the TDI is a completely different design and the Pela just won't work.

I posted the same question on a TDI forum and got lots of oil change recommendations, but none were specifically about using an oil extractor on this vehicle. Based on all the replies, using an extractor doesn't seem to be a common practice.

I'll try it again both ways and see what I figure out.

Thanks,
Mike