Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Timing belt change 2006 Audi A3 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt change 2006 Audi A3 2.0T

Hi All,

My wife's A3 needs a new timing belt. In the past I've done that on our old Golf diesel, and since then had cars with timing chains. So the mechanical aspects I can wrap my head around, and I generally like to do my own work when I can (is good for the soul as my dad used to tell me:-)). On this car I'm in doubt though. I find that on the A3 things just get unexpectedly complicated sometimes (e.g. I've spent the better part of 1.5 hours changing a light bulb in the head lights on this car:-)).

Gone over the Haynes and it all does not look too terrible. But I'd like to get some first-hand info, how much complication can I expect? Any special tools that you really need? Any good write ups on this?

Thanks! Much appreciate any input!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dutchcar;24362626]Hi All,

My ... A3 needs a new timing belt. In the past I've done...

I'm in the same boat. I owned many sciroccos, and my girlfriends seemed to always roll with GTIs, rabbits, cabriolets. No stranger to German water-cooled engines. My A3 was to be the first car I didn't really turn a wrench on, but unsatisfactory experiences with [marginal at best] dealer service and some recent financial challenges, I said screw it - I'm going in. At first I was just going to operate on the awful camshaft follower for hpfp, but car has 70k, so if I'm getting greasy I'm going to fix it all.

I purchased a deluxe timing belt kit, and was also able to rent 'all the special tools needed to do the job'. Took two days off so I have four day weekend, kit scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I'm a mix of excited and nervous. And soon to be pissed off, no doubt. But I'm committed now.

I finally tracked down an 8mm triple-square xzn bit (for getting at camshaft follower) tonight, at pep boys, if you can believe that. Looked high and low for it locally, and didn't want to pay more overnight shipping than cost of tool. Set me back around $5.00. Sweet.

From what I've read so far, the vital thing to do is to put engine at 0 degrees tdc, and lock both camshaft a and driveshaft before pulling old belt. If anything drifts you are screwed. And be sure to do water pump, idler and tensioners, engine mount bolts and a couple of engine seals while you're at it.

That's my plan. I expect every task to have a wrinkle - hoping 4 days will see it all through. Would love to hear about your project, problems and solutions. Good luck!

-Scott@antilockbreaks.com