Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Took a trip to AWE last week to purchase a new exhaust,WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a trip to AWE last week to purchase a new exhaust,WOW!

Friday morning i decided to take a drive to AWE's great facilty in PA to Purchase and install their new exhaust. Now i know there has been alot of contreversy concerning the direction AWE took engineering their new exhaust(no resonators, no muffler, 2.5" pipe), but after visiting AWE in person , i can assure you all that these people are very experienced and know what they're doing. To start off the build quality of the exhaust is excellent.The welds and bends , fit and finish are perfect. The large polished tips look great on the car and make the A3 look like it grew some *****! My main concern though was how well would the exhaust work in conjuction with my APR flashed ecu (and neuspeeed underdrive pulley). So we put my car on the dyno before and after the install. My car was dyno'd at 240hp and 250 ft.lbs.trq (best of three runs) at the wheels, before the install. After the install my car was dyno'd again and there were very slight gains in hp( 2-3 hp) while trq stayed the same but power seemed to hit at much lower Rpm, indicating the the turbo was spooling up alot quicker. Although there were no significant power gains i was happy with the results because hitting power at a lower rpm meant less turbo lag!
Now for the drive home! This was the most important part of the trip, a two hour drive home would determine if the exhaust was worth it or not. As the dyno showed, power hit instantly down low with little to no lag. i was stuck in alot of traffic driving home and thanks to the down low power it made driving through traffic a breeze . so i was very happy with the power changes. As far as the sound. My little A3 now sounds like a race car, with some very nice burbles when switching gears, Assuring others on the road not to mess with my A3.
I'll post pics soon.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can those small gains and sound jusify the price? Nope.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Took a trip to AWE last week to purchase a new exhaust,WOW!

For reasons I won't reveal at this time, I will need an exhaust system w/o a rear muffler. This requirement eliminates Milltek & Techtonics as a consideration. APR does not have a rear muffler, however I am wary of replacing the stock DP/cat (not to mention that I am far from satisfied with the fit of the APR DP/cat on my Beetle 1.8T). This leaves me with the AWE system. I estimate that custom (center-muffler on back), mandrel-bent, 16 gauge T304 tubing (w/polished tips) would cost me just as much...plus it would be a real PITA.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not to sound like an *** but there isn't much engineering involved if you're just cutting out

both stock resonators and welding in straight pipes.

Personally, I was more impressed with their A4 & S4 exhausts.

Dave
Old 10-23-2005, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is your car MAN or dsg? Also why is no one seeiing

the 303ft/lb that apr claims? I have yet to hear one person report even close to 270hp/300 tq? Kind of strange dont you think?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

my car is manual . i got 240hp/250 trq to the wheels witch is about 270/290 to the crank
Old 10-23-2005, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

also apr claims 250 hp i got 270 hp, i think ive got less trq and more hp do to the neuspeed pulley!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 PM

are those pulley worth the money??
Old 10-23-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oooops!. I read that you said wheels not crank im glad to see...

someone got the #'s advertised. Now im super tempted, but still going to wait for GIAC and REVO. Ryan seems to love the OCT/Milltek. Decisions,Decisions
Old 10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think im gonna make the swicth to giac as well , but first im gonna check out apr s second program

Quick Reply: Took a trip to AWE last week to purchase a new exhaust,WOW!