Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Uh oh. DSG clunks when downshifting to 2nd... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the issue: It's related to the subframe bolts.

As mentioned in the original post, the clunking originated after I heard (and felt) what sounded like a metallic rod snapping somewhere. I was making a slow, left-hand turn and literally felt it through the chassis, like a weld had snapped somewhere.

This was the start of a mild (but unnerving) "clunking" sound and feel, which would often occur during acceleration at low speeds. I thought something in the DSG was broken, but that was not the case.

Six months after the initial "snap," I brought it in to the dealer and had them inspect the car again. It appears two subframe bolts are now broken. According to the dealer, those broken subframe bolts are causing slack somewhere near the drivetrain, generating the movement and "clunk" that you can hear and feel. It's nothing internal to the DSG or the drivetrain, it's simply movement in the mount / housing somewhere near it.

In any case, the subframe bolts were ordered (apparently each is a unique size and has a unique part number). They will be installed on the A3 tomorrow, and I hope that the clunking sound that I hear when engaging lower gears is fixed.

Will report back if that doesn't resolve it. Hopefully this helps anyone who might have a similar issue in the future.

UPDATE: Fixed. That was the whole issue. Whew! First time the dealer had ever heard of this happening, so it seems like a fluke. They had to use some pretty impressive methods and tools to locate the broken bolts and mounts, remove them and replace them. Serious stuff for a couple of simple broken bolts. Anyway, it drives like new again and I'm very pleased.

Last edited by ried; 06-09-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ried
Found the issue: It's related to the subframe bolts.

As mentioned in the original post, the clunking originated after I heard (and felt) what sounded like a metallic rod snapping somewhere. I was making a slow, left-hand turn and literally felt it through the chassis, like a weld had snapped somewhere.

This was the start of a mild (but unnerving) "clunking" sound and feel, which would often occur during acceleration at low speeds. I thought something in the DSG was broken, but that was not the case.

Six months after the initial "snap," I brought it in to the dealer and had them inspect the car again. It appears two subframe bolts are now broken. According to the dealer, those broken subframe bolts are causing slack somewhere near the drivetrain, generating the movement and "clunk" that you can hear and feel. It's nothing internal to the DSG or the drivetrain, it's simply movement in the mount / housing somewhere near it.

In any case, the subframe bolts were ordered (apparently each is a unique size and has a unique part number). They will be installed on the A3 tomorrow, and I hope that the clunking sound that I hear when engaging lower gears is fixed.

Will report back if that doesn't resolve it. Hopefully this helps anyone who might have a similar issue in the future.

UPDATE: Fixed. That was the whole issue. Whew! First time the dealer had ever heard of this happening, so it seems like a fluke. They had to use some pretty impressive methods and tools to locate the broken bolts and mounts, remove them and replace them. Serious stuff for a couple of simple broken bolts. Anyway, it drives like new again and I'm very pleased.
Its not a fluke at all. Its amazing you got them to change the bolts. I have a GTI and almost all GTIs have this problem where the bolts get messed up. My car makes terrible noise when making a hard left turn. The dealer tightened it many times. And they can't really do much since its a bad design. Down the road you are almost garunteed to have the same issue as the bolts will only get loosed and start clunking. Do a search for the famous "clunking when i turn thread".
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Ried,

Looking at the symptoms I have (2007 TT coupé mk2 + DSG), the solution that cured your clunks could well be mine: would you have more details on the locations of the bolts which have been replaced?

Kidn Regards from France,

Benoît.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello Benoit
Did you ever find the reason for the clunk noise?
Best regards Dan ( Denmark)
Old 09-21-2023, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Metal clunking noise

Hi guys I need some help figuring out this problem I have with my 2018 Audi a5 b9
I have heard clunking for like a week and usually comes from 1-2 gear it’s sounds very concerning
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1210.mov (19.56 MB, 34 views)