Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Urea injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urea injection

Is VW using urea injection in 2.0 L VW and Audi engines for 2012?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ben721364
Is VW using urea injection in 2.0 L VW and Audi engines for 2012?

Thanks
AFAIK, the passat uses urea injection for the 2.0 TDI, but it is not required for the Jetta or the A3.

for what it's worth, and speaking as a former owner of a 2010 model, I would not recommend you spend your money on any car with this motor in it.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting observations. Thanks.

The 2.0 L Passat TDI engine is different than the 2.0L Jetta TDI engine for 2012?

I own a 2009 Jetta 2.0L TDI with over 50,000 miles and am pleased as punch with it. In fact, I like it so much that I have an Audi A3 TDI on order to share the garage with the Jetta.

Diesel engines ae not for everyone by any means, and they do require a break in routine that some consider somewhat tedious.

Originally Posted by Sundowner
AFAIK, the passat uses urea injection for the 2.0 TDI, but it is not required for the Jetta or the A3.

for what it's worth, and speaking as a former owner of a 2010 model, I would not recommend you spend your money on any car with this motor in it.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2.0L engine in the A3/Jetta/Golf does not require urea injection to satisfy emissions regulations.

I'm almost positive that they use a concept called "Staged Combustion" to reduce NOx released into the atmosphere. When the combustion chamber is fuel rich most of the oxygen in the air combines with the fuel, rather than with the nitrogen. The post combustion gases are then sent back into the combustion chamber where the process is repeated.

There was a really interesting journal paper (back in 2001 or 2002 I think) discussing staged combustion for use in internal combustion engines. I'm not sure on the exact details of how VW/Audi do it but what I wrote above is the basic principal.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. My 2009 Jetta TDI does not employ Urea injection but I heard (somewhere) that the 2012 versions do. The 2209 variant (at least) periodically burns off psrticulates.

Originally Posted by jericks
The 2.0L engine in the A3/Jetta/Golf does not require urea injection to satisfy emissions regulations.

I'm almost positive that they use a concept called "Staged Combustion" to reduce NOx released into the atmosphere. When the combustion chamber is fuel rich most of the oxygen in the air combines with the fuel, rather than with the nitrogen. The post combustion gases are then sent back into the combustion chamber where the process is repeated.

There was a really interesting journal paper (back in 2001 or 2002 I think) discussing staged combustion for use in internal combustion engines. I'm not sure on the exact details of how VW/Audi do it but what I wrote above is the basic principal.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting observations. Thanks.

The 2.0 L Passat TDI engine is different than the 2.0L Jetta TDI engine for 2012?

I own a 2009 Jetta 2.0L TDI with over 50,000 miles and am pleased as punch with it. In fact, I like it so much that I have an Audi A3 TDI on order to share the garage with the Jetta.

Diesel engines ae not for everyone by any means, and they do require a break in routine that some consider somewhat tedious.
I liked the way the engine drove, and it had good grunt to it. the 9 second 0-60 time was a bit onerous for the short on-ramps in NJ, but whatever.

The bothersome issues come with the 20,000 psi fuel pumps that have been prone to failure. And if they do fail, they spread metallic particles though the ENTIRE fuel system. IF they cover the repair under warrantly and don't give you the 'contaminated fuel' excuse, then you won't have to pay the $9000 to have the system replaced, yourself.

The engine also also has two EGR systems to it, a number of scrubbers and cats, and a diesel particulate filter that, according to your owner's manual, may or may not need replacement around 100k-120k miles.the filter is apparently a regualr service item, and it costs $2000 to R&R it. There go any fuel savings!!

And lastly, the TDI motor is a a $1500-$2000 premium over the gas motor that doesn't get that much worse of a fuel economy. You have 50k miles on a 3 year old car, so that's about 17k miles per year. Let's say that diesel costs the same as premium gas (if you had the 2.0T) at $3.85/gallon, and the difference between these two engines, on the average, is 30 mpg to 40 mpg (I owned both cars and that's about what I averaged) That means that you're saving $500/year and it''s going to take you about 4 years to recoup the money you spent on the TDI upgrade, not counting any financing on that money. (That's almost $10/week in savings, WOW, now I can retire!) Comapre the car to the 2.5L gasser motor that runs on regular and you're really in the hole.

You can play with the fuel costs, the miles driven, even the mpg's if you light foot the throttle, but at the end of the day, and for the cost one day's lunch, the TDI just wasn't worth the hassle, the risk, and the potential costs.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting observations but they don'r really address my question.

Since you mentioned problems, my 2009 Jetta TDI has not exhibited any of those you mentioned in over 50,000 miles. I wonder just how many engines have developed the problem(s) tat you mentioned?

I liked the way the engine drove, and it had good grunt to it. the 9 second 0-60 time was a bit onerous for the short on-ramps in NJ, but whatever.

The bothersome issues come with the 20,000 psi fuel pumps that have been prone to failure. And if they do fail, they spread metallic particles though the ENTIRE fuel system. IF they cover the repair under warrantly and don't give you the 'contaminated fuel' excuse, then you won't have to pay the $9000 to have the system replaced, yourself.

The engine also also has two EGR systems to it, a number of scrubbers and cats, and a diesel particulate filter that, according to your owner's manual, may or may not need replacement around 100k-120k miles.the filter is apparently a regualr service item, and it costs $2000 to R&R it. There go any fuel savings!!

And lastly, the TDI motor is a a $1500-$2000 premium over the gas motor that doesn't get that much worse of a fuel economy. You have 50k miles on a 3 year old car, so that's about 17k miles per year. Let's say that diesel costs the same as premium gas (if you had the 2.0T) at $3.85/gallon, and the difference between these two engines, on the average, is 30 mpg to 40 mpg (I owned both cars and that's about what I averaged) That means that you're saving $500/year and it''s going to take you about 4 years to recoup the money you spent on the TDI upgrade, not counting any financing on that money. (That's almost $10/week in savings, WOW, now I can retire!) Comapre the car to the 2.5L gasser motor that runs on regular and you're really in the hole.

You can play with the fuel costs, the miles driven, even the mpg's if you light foot the throttle, but at the end of the day, and for the cost one day's lunch, the TDI just wasn't worth the hassle, the risk, and the potential costs.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting observations but they don'r really address my question.

Since you mentioned problems, my 2009 Jetta TDI has not exhibited any of those you mentioned in over 50,000 miles. I wonder just how many engines have developed the problem(s) tat you mentioned?
More than you'd think. there have been a number of NHSTA investigations including the fuel pump, and neat one for explocing injectors too. something about injector pulse and fuel rail harmonics.

go to TDI club and read. There are wonderful threads titled: "people with one year of ownership and no problems" and "I didn't buy a TDI to save money"

And those people actually LIKE TDI cars.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

We are still off topic. However, I hear ya. I also think I recall reading that a recall with regard to fuel rail harmonics has been announced recently. Your comment, "More than you'd think." kinda skirts the issue that you brought to the table. Is it 1%? Is it 5%? Is it 50%? While a certain percentage appear to have had problems, I tend not to get excited about internet rumors as they tend to spread like wild fire.

Back to the subject of the thread. Do you know whether the 2012 version of the 2.0L TDI engine employs Urea injection?

More than you'd think. there have been a number of NHSTA investigations including the fuel pump, and neat one for explocing injectors too. something about injector pulse and fuel rail harmonics.

go to TDI club and read. There are wonderful threads titled: "people with one year of ownership and no problems" and "I didn't buy a TDI to save money"

And those people actually LIKE TDI cars.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Back to the subject of the thread. Do you know whether the 2012 version of the 2.0L TDI engine employs Urea injection?
I think this has already been answered... The 2012 Audi A3 2.0L TDI does not use urea injection.

Quick Reply: Urea injection