Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Urgent Help Needed! (problem starting the car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help Needed! (problem starting the car)

I have a problem starting the car!
From time to time when I turn the key to start the car, there is no engine sign, the car is totally dead... it doesn't even show the minimum will to start!
All the lights, in the panel, are on,like the other times when it starts on the first time I turn the key...
When that happens I have to wait about an hour with the car closed (doors locked). After that I turn the key and it doesn't have the minimum difficulty to start... and that goes on the next days, weeks... but then there's always a day when I get there and the problem is there again... and I 'll have to do the same thing...
I took it to the Audi garage to do a checkup... but apparently they didn't find any problem, because it did it again, today...
I can't live my life wondering, everytime I get to the car, if the engine will start or not, that's why I need someone to help me. If any of you had the same problem and was able to solve it, please let me know how, I really would appreciate.
Thank you in advance and very best regards.
P.S. It is a Audi A3 2.0 TDI from 2004.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Elder Member

Default Wow, strange. Have you tried rebooting the car?

No seriously, unplugging the battery for a certain amount of time, then reconnecting? You'll need the radio passcode, I believe, but sometimes, the car needs a reboot too.

Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Default reboot not really

in fact disconnecting the battery resets some things that can make the car not run at all.

The battery should never be disconnected unless you are prepared with a dealer scan tool, vag com or similar to reset the TB and check the codes. (not that there is a TB on the TDI)

Is your car modified at all? Do you have some sort of performance chip or is it 100% stock. That would be he best place to start.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: alarm

I believe it is a 100% stock, although I bought it in Germany (2nd hand).
I forgot to mention, but it has alarm... is it possible to be a problem when I open the door, that the alarm isn't fired? because it starts to work afterwards after being one hour locked... not 15min... not 30 min, but 1 hour...
Old 06-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Elder Member

Default Strange...

Must be different for Audis. My mother-in-law's 05 TL started acting up. Bluetooth would work erratically. The outside temp display in the trip computer would not work properly.

Did just that and everything went back to normal.

Totally surprised that there are things that would prevent the car from starting at all after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes on an Audi.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 PM

Default My brother-in-law had the exact same problem with his 2.0 A3...

He had it fixed at the dealer. I will give him a call, find out what the diagnosis was, and then post it here.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Default That is interesting

Its possible that the alarm cuts power to the ECM but that is unlikely.

If there is no MIL on (check engine light) that generally means there is no communication with the ECM which would be strange to happen from an alarm.

The fact that you can leave it for X amount of time consistantly probably means not a ignition switch.

Ok to just make sure we got this all correct.

If you put the key in and nothing happens is the MIL on for even the shortest bit of time or not at all.

If its on then the ECM is mroe then likely fine. If it is on when it does not start then I'd look into a clutch switch if yours is a manual or ignition switch if its an auto or manual.

It could even be the comfort control module which houses the factory alarm but that woudl agani also keep the MIL on unless there was an ECM problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:40 PM

Default well it all depends

in general I woudl not recommend disconecting the battery as a means to fix problems.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Urgent Help Needed! (problem starting the car)

just had something similar with my 2006 A3 (just two weeks old). similar experience. except the lights on the dash, everything, was dead. found i was able to reset by turning the key in the door lock.
took it in. they found a loose battery connection.
been about a week. so far so good.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: My brother-in-law had the exact same problem with his 2.0 A3...

I'll appreciate that mark.
Thanks...