Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Want an A3! Reliability only concern...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want an A3! Reliability only concern...

Hi All!

Well, I am looking to buy a new car in the spring. Basically, it's for driving to/from work, and going out with friends etc on weekends. I have a Mazda 6 now, and it's time to give er up..just not what I want anymore.

I was thinking of a couple options, specifically the A3 2.0T ('07 or '08). The dealer lent it to me for the weekend (DSG...I know the owner of the dealer), and it was quite nice. The engine was very smooth and powerful, and I liked the DSG as well. If I were to buy the A3, I would be torn between the DSG or the manual...my travel to work is all city driving, with the occasional traffic jam. Any advice? I am a true-blue manual guy, but that DSG surprised me!

Anyways, my main concern is reliability. I am going to be putting on 30+ km a day and I'd really like this car to last me 6-7 years with no major problems. Basically I don't want to get stranded! I am also in Canada, so I will be driving this in the winter with snows most likely.

Any experiences/advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: 1 gripe I did have with the car was road noise, but after reading here it seems that the P6's are quite noisy and switching to Bridgestone/Michelin would make a large difference.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think the A3 has proven to be pretty sturdy

If you are planning to do high-mileage and your main concern is reliability, I'd pay extra for the newer engine with the timing chain instead of the belt.

Also max reliability comes with manuals. Audi's are pretty bulletproof.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Want an A3! Reliability only concern...

My car: 2007 A3 2.0T six speed
Mileage: 18,000
Issues: Only minor so far.
1)Squeaking sound due to composition of brake pad. But brakes are very good.
2)As you mentioned, the p6s are loud. Started around 11,000. Can be resolved easily with new tires.

I think the A3 is fairly a reliable car. It is up the owner how he or she maintains the car that will help a car last. Consistent oil changes, rotations, checkups, basically following the maintenance list.

I would suggest getting the 2009 A3, since they finally offer quattro for the 2.0T. Quattro will suit you best because of snow. But the tranny is only the dsg. I'm sure you will not mind since you enjoyed the dsg. I've read many die hard manual people had no problem switching to the dsg gearbox. They simply loved it. However, the dsg needs to be maintained by switching out the fluid and filter every 40,000 miles I think.

Good luck on your decision. The A3 is a very unique car. Looks great (09 models have the cool led tails), practical, decent gas mileage and refined. Highly recommend of course because I'm baised hahaha.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Reliability in general

Reliability is a tricky thing to look at. First of all, those of us who drive Audis and generally belong to sites like this one, are car nuts or close to that, so we listen and look for things that Toyota or Honda owners usually don't. I've had both of them and there were things breaking that never broke in my 98 A4.
I also have a 2004 Touareg V6 and they have been spitted upon by "Consumer reports" repeatedly. In 5 years I had two light bulbs to replace (recently) and even they have burned out within a week of each other - that is reliability! Knock on wood
It is all in how you treat the car and what you do with it, same as with women - had my wife for 30 years, looks almost new.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent points.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default mine's a year old, no problems

I wouldn't expect any at 10k miles. Check with me at 110k. Had a minor squeak from the steering column that disappeared before i could get to the dealer. Great engine(2T). The best combination of power and gas mileage I've ever had. My first non-stick car in 25+ years and I love the DSG/s-tronic. I've had VW's with 150k miles on them in the late 90's and always ignored Consumers. Maybe Audi since 90 is correct. I'm a stickler for maintenance. Pay them now or pay them later. I keep my cars a long time. (wife also :&gt
Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Excellent points.

Great points everyone, thanks for everything. I will definitely look into the 09's, and perhaps quattro.

I am quite a car nut myself, and currently own an 08 M3 as my weekend summer joy ride. I am a stickler for maintenance as well and always take care of the cars I have, even if it is my daily.

Thanks again everyone, and I will continue to search these forums for info.

Cheers!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I think the A3 has proven to be pretty sturdy

Car is solid as a rock. Can you tell me whaat year started with a chain vs. a belt?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cars built starting wk13, 2008.

3 or 4 months of '08 models, and then all models with the new body style.

To know for sure, open the engine bonnet and look for the changed cover - it's smaller.

Or, check the engine code - it's under the flap in the trunk. Old engine was BPY, new one is CCTY.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Excellent points.

In my honest opinion, the engine in the 08+ model is to new for anyone to be able to predict reliability. And I'm always reluctant to get the first year of anything. And while the new engine is encouraging I think enough is redesigned that it qualifies as a new engine.

From what I've read of the older 2.0T, many of the issues stem from sensors and components separate from the engine. I think next year we'll starting seeing more complete data.