Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

What do you think of Skoda Fabia?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 05:14 PM
ravenx

Default What do you think of Skoda Fabia?

When I saw the car for the first time, I couldn't believe my eyes. From the side it looks almost identical to an A3.

We all know that Volkswagen Group is trying to reposition the Skoda brand, and they are trying to achieve this by using parts from Polo, Golf and A3 and by imporving the quality of the craftworkmanship. Nowadays, all Volkswagen Group cars (especially interiors) look very much alike and I find this strategy very risky in marketing terms.

I don't know about you, but I don't want my S3 to be mistaken for a Skoda Fabia. There has been a long debate in this forum "why choose A3 over Golf?". Mainly the reason was the 4ring logo on the steering wheel and rarity. Now I ask "why choose Golf over Fabia?".

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 02-19-2000, 06:45 PM
JohnK

Skoda Fabia- More like a cross between Astra & Golf than A3!!!!- nt
Old 02-19-2000, 08:37 PM
Tom

Default Skoda Fabia uses different platform.....

Skoda Fabia uses the A0 platform which shares with the next SEAT Ibiza and VW Polo subcompact instead of using the A4 platform which VW Golf and Audi A3 is currently using.
Its a different market segment between Skoda and Audi automobile. Skoda attacks the affordable range of the VWAG product positioning while Audi goes after the sport/luxury market segment.
We don't have Skoda and SEAT brands here in North America. I just received the Skoda brochures I requested from their website few years ago. The Fabia is a rich-looking high quality subcompact that actually looks very classy. The interior doesn't look out of place from a VW Golf or Audi A3, I have to admit that. But comparing an A3 to a Fabia is like comparing an apple to an orange, 2 different kinds of cars. A3 is compact sports hatchback while the Fabia is more like a economical subcompact with sporty flair (as European journalists gave it an exceptional reviews on its execution of how sporty it handles).
There maybe a problem choosing between a Polo, Ibiza or a Fabia which are basically the same size of vehicles but its humorous when comparing A3 to a Fabia.
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 BORA GLS 2.0
00 (OR 01) NEW BEETLE GLS 1.9TDI (ON ORDER)
98.5 A4 1.8TQAS WETTED
Old 02-21-2000, 12:30 AM
AL B

Default Re: What do you think of Skoda Fabia?

A good discussion point to bring up ravenx.

I feel very strongly about this subject of VAG sharing parts and platforms with the other brands in the group. For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the A3's dashboard is used in the new SEAT Toledo! Now if that isn't a kick in an S3/A3 owners teeth I don't know what is! No offence to the Toledo, it's a very nice car.

Lets face it, we pay extra money for the 4 rings and in my opinion having those parts used on the lower-costing brands is just an insult to us. It just makes you think whether the 4 rings are worth the extra money. So I agree with ravenx, you could ask "is VW worth the extra money over the Skoda."

As for the Fabia. I think it is a very nice car. But I must admit, when I first saw one, I had to look twice, because it looks like a blended together Golf/A3. There are parts of it where you think "A3" and other bits "Golf".

Cheers,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-21-2000, 07:43 AM
ravenx

Default Once again I agree with you

Tom found it humorous comparing A3 to Fabia, because he never actually saw one. The Skoda stand was next to the Audi stand in the latest Motor Show here and the resemblence is remarkable (this was also mentioned in Auto Motor und Sport Magazine)

I don't care about the A0 platform, I care how it looks. As Alan I don't want to see my dashboard in a Seat, my steering wheel in a Golf, my window buttons in a Skoda. I guess it is a must for Volkswagen (economies of scale in economics terms). But it is quite frustrating for us, who paid more for 4rings.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 02-21-2000, 09:03 AM
AL B

Default I raised this issue with the Audi Tech Rep today...

Hi,

I raised this branding/parts-sharing issue with the Audi UK Regional Technical Manager in the meeting I had today regarding the problems with my car (which is a different story).

It *is* VAG strategy to share platforms and parts across the brands, in order minimize costs. His words were, "imagine if each car in Audi\VW\Seat\Skoda had its own individual dashboard/[subsitute any part], it would make the cars more expensive. Would you have chosen this A3 if it was 4-5K GBP dearer?" I have to say, he does have a point. But I countered, that this part sharing "tarnishes" the "higher" brand, in that when I drive down the road, and I see a Golf, I know that underneath it's the same car, and the Golf driver knows this as well. So who's better off? Answer: the Golf driver. I continued to say that "we are obviously paying for the four rings, but whether they are worth it is a matter of opinion." He tried to say that the Golf is a different car, and appeals to a different customer, but I wasn't convinced.

We agreed that we *are* paying for the 4 rings, but also for rarity, and people perception of a brand, and subsiquently of us. He said, "Audi are trying to appeal to the up-and-coming, successful, moving forward, type of customer who perceives themselves as successful in life."

Please understand though, this was very much a UK specific conversation, as branding and perception of that brand may be marketed differently in different countries. There is still a big thing about brands in the UK, and you *pay* for them. Cars, PETROL!!!, food, clothing, we are being ripped-off continuously in the UK.

But back to branding: It's just like buying Armani Jeans rather than xyz-supermarket-own-brand. If you wear Armani, you've got money, you are fashionable, you share something with the rich-and-famous. If you wear supermarket-own-brand, then you don't project the same image. No one cares that the supermarket-own-brand might last longer.

We are all victims. And I admit it, I'm a victim.

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver (or is it a Golf?)
Old 02-21-2000, 09:44 AM
David R

Default 100% Agreement + Rant......

Thanks for the interesting info below re tech reps view of platform sharing.

I agree entirely with these views, we DO pay extra for th Audi brand and so by the tech reps definition we should have a product that has different components from it's close relatives.

Sharing a platform, engine, mechanicals etc I can agree with, but as you say, to put the A3 dash into a bloody Toledo is an insult and occasionally makes me think about the reasons I did pay all the extra. AND, in many peoples view the Golf has a better interior than the A3 - certainly in the touchy feely quality aspect - the design is questionable AND they have a larger range of engines, I refer to the V5 and VR6 or whatever it is now. I take note and express my sympathies for the guy in one of the posts below who ordered his TDi A3 only to discover that the new 115TDi is allegedly on its way, AFTER VW!

I am not jealous in any way of the folks that have Golf GTIs, etc because ultimately the car did not suit me, suggesting that at the moment their are still noticable differences in the brands. I think though, that the VW group really have the market stitched up as they have their thumb in every proverbial pie. They don't care if the customer buys a GTi Golf in preference to an A3 T as they money rolls the same way whatever.

It does make me think, I have always liked Audi as a brand but these recent changes - if implemented to the nth degree - would make many, including myself, change brands in the future.

Rant over, thats better!

David
Old 02-21-2000, 10:02 AM
AL B

: ) Nice one David, I like your style! You said it all! I enjoyed your Rant!
Old 02-21-2000, 10:10 AM
AL B

Default Just read your post again...

Actually, I was trying to get across that the Tech Rep was in agreement with the platform/parts sharing, as is Audi VW as a whole. Because it saves them some money. Only if everyone was prepared to pay *even more* for their Audi's (A3's especially) would we get totally individual brand cars.

Sorry for the confusion caused.

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-21-2000, 12:11 PM
David R

Sorry, no confusion - just a quick, harmless blast at VAG mid rant!!!

Quick Reply: What do you think of Skoda Fabia?