Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

What's the best way to get fast launch on 3.2 DSG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Their is a trick to it...

With DSC off time it so as you press on the accelerator you release the brake at the same time. It takes a bit of practice but if you time it just right their is minimal front wheel spinage before the haldex kicks in. i suspect with the upgrade it is even less. I wish we had LC.

One thing that I have come to realize of my two years of owning this car is it is not worth the money I paid for it. If I could do it all over again I would have kept my A4 or got a GTI or even a Cooper S. I may look at trading it for a used A4 Avant 1.8t and picking up a 135 in the summer.....I need more $$$.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maybe that's why different reviewers has different 0-60 results

Some might just floor it completely from a stop, other might do what you said to do, while C&D might be doing neutral drops. Also, some measure speed based on stopwatch or computerized timing, while others use accelerometer data, which would not count the pause in the begining.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why do you feel this car isn't worth your money?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have to agree with RikiTik.

Anybody(in the U.S. and Canada) who is looking at an A3 and wanting AWD, has to pay through the nose for an engine/transmission combo they wouldn't otherwise consider. What's one of the questions that gets asked most on this forum?

<b>"When is AoA going to offer a A3 2.0T Manual (w/quattro)?"</b>

If I were to do it again, I'd get an A4 Avant 2.0T manual(w/qwattro). Similarly equipped, I would have actually paid less and gotten free roof-rails to boot
Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If I did it over, I'd get the RS4 FTW... lol
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why did you choose the A3 over the A4 then?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default At the time I was looking to replace my TT...

No Audi dealer within a reasonable distance had any A4 avants w/quattro; only FWD automatic and even those where scarce. I suspect that since the Q7 has come out, dealers aren't that interested in selling wagons.

Ideally, I probably would have special ordered, but my TT was going to need some costly repairs and I wanted to unload it quickly. Since the TT had 130K+ miles, the repairs came close to the blue book value of the car; it didn't make since to hold onto it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my A3, but VR6 engine is a bit of a disappointment with its appalling gas mileage. I had a VW Corrado with the 1st. generation VR6 and I regularly got above 30mpg. With the A3, I have to drive very carefully to get 26mpg
Old 12-15-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Especially here in Canada. My 06 was 50k with all the options.

The trouble with the A3 at that price is it tries to be too many cars at once but doesnt succeed at any of them. Too small for a wagon, too slow/heavy for a performance car, too big for a 'hot hatch' the list goes on.

Like most of us I need/want more then one car. Ideally I want a Cooper S, B6 Avant, and a 135i.

For me practicality is at the bottom of my list next time. I will buy a car to fit a certain purpose.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Whoa, 50k? Mine loaded without cold weather was under 40k. I can see where you're coming from now.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Odd...they don't have a launch control feature?

Granted I don't own a A3 lol...I did recently test drive a GTI (possible replacement for my CoupeGT) and the 2.0T with DSG has a launch mode. if you put it in sport shift, turn off traction control, press the brake pedal. Hold food on brake...apply full throttle...it'll rev up and hold rpm *can't remember where* until the precise second you let off brake pedal and it will be set into launch mode to grab at optimized shift pattern and well...launch at near perfect rpm.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to get fast launch on 3.2 DSG?