Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

What's the skinny on Haldex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the skinny on Haldex?

If I understand correctly, the Haldex multi-plate clutch is the next-gen Quattro. Torsen has pretty much gone the way of the doo doo. Audi.co.uk spec sheet for a A3 3.2Q say it's permanent 4WD (should I assume 50:50 under normal driving conditions?) but all the stuff I'm reading tells me Haldex is not permanent 4WD, rather it's FWD under normal driving conditions and then distributes torque to the rear from a 100:0 ratio. Where am I off? How does it really work?

I've also heard lots of people say Haldex isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Why is that? Is the drive still limited by engine torque because of the size/number of clutch plates?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can read about Haldex at haldex.com

Haldex is front wheel drive until the front wheel(s) slip. The Haldex equipped cars are practically FWD cars except when the front wheels slip.

The amount of torque that is transferred to the rear is up to 30%, at least on my 2000 Haldex TT, and if I remember the figure correctly.

I've driven my TT in autocross for a year; I am probabyl still a novice. I've experienced what I had read before: Haldex has snap oversteer. After driving it in autocross and thinking that it happened, I now think that it's true.

From an understeer condition, because of having slipped the front wheels, suddenly (and proudly) the power is pushed to the rear. That change in balance turns the car rather successfully.

But again, I am still a novice; don't trust me much More experienced drivers would probably take advantage of that; I don't know...

Having said that; I remember that I also had nice sweepers (long drifting turns) in my car. Really, maybe it was me, not Haldex...

Ali
Old 11-13-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Re: What's the skinny on Haldex?

the 2nd link is preety clear

http://www.difflock.com/offroad/4wdawd.shtml<ul><li><a href="http://www.geocities.com/gkurka2001/CarTech/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#Torsen">http://www.geocities.com/gkurka2001/CarTech/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#Torsen</a</li></ul>
Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So '06 A3 3.2 Quattro is Haldex based on 4Motion?

I'm confused. 2nd last paragraph of http://www.geocities.com/gkurka2001/CarTech/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#4motion says Haldex can't handle high torque. It can handle the 206lbft from the TT. Can it handle 250lbft from the V6 without modifications?

It is actually normally 50:50 split?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 AM

Default ask HPA

their R32's haldex is/was basically stock and it has upwards of 500 hp
Old 11-13-2005, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea because we all know that it can reliably handle all that power
Old 11-13-2005, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ok, so what's the deal?

It's comments like that which make me curious as to what the dark side of Haldex is...
Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 AM

4Motion is a Gen 1 Haldex based AWD system. the A3 uses Gen 2 Haldex.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

What's the difference?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What's the skinny on Haldex?

To paraphrase about a million threads on this out there,

Haldex is basically FWD until a small bit of wheelspin occurs or until the system detects certain parameters have been met to engage the system (throttle position, brake usage, engine spped, etc -- consult the mulitudes of doco out there for everthing).

Haldex can transfer up to 100% of available torque to the rear, torsen systems can't do this. Don't confuse this with 100% of POWER to the rear. Once the maximum amount of torque that the system can send to rear is reached the rest is distributed to the fronts. That's why haldex can still work fine with some of the super and turbo charger systems out there that provide more power, the remaining power that the system can't handle goes to to the front wheels, it isn't lost (i'm not talking about super power like the HPA TT here).

Haldex has much less drivetrain loss than a torsen system does. IIRC my S4 has about 28% loss while my R32 has about 18 - 20%.

I wrongfully believed (when I just owned my S4) that haldex systems are inferior. Then I bought my R32 and have since spent much time reading through many, many threads on this on the vortex. Both kinds of systems have their disadvantages and advantages. Haldex is extremely capable, and with the HPP upgrades out there (which essentially transfers power much quicker to the rear in certain driving conditions) you really can't tell the difference between the systems.

Now all of this is from my memory (which isn't the best at times so I may have left someting out) and based off Gen1 haldex, all new golf based platfoms (A3, TT, and of course the golf) now use gen2 haldex.

Quick Reply: What's the skinny on Haldex?