Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

When not giving enough gas in 1st from standstill to accelerating, how bad is this lugging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When not giving enough gas in 1st from standstill to accelerating, how bad is this lugging?

i have heard that when you are at standstill, and you try to accelerate in 1st, but do not give enough gas, it is considered lugging b/c the rpm drops below idle. is this lugging? and if so how bad is this for the engine and transmission?

the car also sounds like its about to stall, but when i put push clutch in again, it sounds like it sprung back to life.

i have learned driving manual about 5 months ago. i am pretty good and comfortable at it, yet i still make some of this "lugging" in first gear time to time. i know i can launch well, but its just that sometimes, i mess up.

i was just wondering how bad is this for the engine and transmission?
i am just worried about hurting my car...

please help in answering!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 AM

Default lugging defined

Lugging is putting load on the engine at too low an RPM, regardless of gear.

So what is "too low?" That varies by engine, but in general you can tell by how it sounds and feels. If there is increased vibration or the engine sounds like it is straining, it is turning too slowly for the conditions.

In extreme cases this can over time cause a lot of damage to the engine (not transmission) as it flexes the crankshaft and puts a lot of stress on bearings and connecting rods.

The cure is very simple -- make sure the engine is turning faster. To do that, downshift if you are in gears 2-6 or if starting from a stop in first, slip the clutch a bit more and/or use more throttle.

-dan
Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 'lugging' is bad. don't be afraid to spin your engine up, up, up! , ....

high rpms are ok, don't be shy.

bogging your engine and your clutch, is very unkind to them.

get to where you get some tire spin, then sneak it back. little by little, until you're smooth

now, if you are talking about 'launching', as in maximum launch, a bit will depend on whether you're fwd or quattro, and o'course esp should be off.
basically, based on your post, i gather you are not talking about maximum launch, and shouldn't be concerned with it
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 AM

Default What about DSG?

I am just the opposite!!! I've always owned manual transmission cars but I decided to go with the DSG this time. Can I damage the engine or transmission keeping the rpm high at neutral and then throwing to Drive or Sport.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default OK, for that matter, how bad is actually stalling the car?

I started to teach my girlfriend to drive stick in the A3, but after a few stalls she lost her enthusiasm and didn't want to 'hurt' my car any more. It occurred to me that I really have no idea what the side effects of stalling the engine are. Experts? Discuss.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default And for *that* matter... How high is too high for launch RPMs?

In other words, can you damage the transmission by revving to 6K and then engaging the clutch in 1st?