Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Where did A3 owners here buy their silver/aluminum style mirror housings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did A3 owners here buy their silver/aluminum style mirror housings?

I bought mine from "german_carstyle" on eBay. It seemed to be the same basic product offered in a number of places, but a little cheaper. It's made by InPro.

Well, I tried installing these mirror housings but the fitment isn't right. I tried installing the passenger mirror first (just in case there was a problem and I had to drive the car somewhere). For each housing, there are 4 anchor points: 1) Pivot, 2) Top inner, 3) Top outer, and 4) Bottom outer. Either the pivot and top inner tabs/slots fit on, or the top and bottom outer tabs/slots fit--but I can't get all 4 in place at the same time. It looks to me like a pretty obvious lack of proper fitment.

I tried using a screwdriver on the top outer, but I can tell that it's gonna bust if I put the required pressure on it. The bottom outer is flimsy (a piece of it broke off on my OEM housing during removal), and it won't take the pressure at all as I can see. I'm really quite ticked off on this lack of precision in the part. I suspect the Euro design is slightly different than US.

Or am I just missing some special technique in all this? If anyone can lend some suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks.

EDIT: Yep, I got the OEM housing back on in a snap. These after market ones are off. I'll have to contact the seller and send them back. Grrrr.....

Where did folks here get theirs? I'm not talking about original S4 housings (which cost over $500), but the imitations that look good enough, for around $150.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If memory served me correctly, I wouldn't have had to copy n paste this url.

Anyhow, here is the real deal. Hope it helps my man.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/35363.phtml
Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for chiming in. I have directions from other posts. It looks like my

newly bought silver mirror housings are just off... OEM housings go back in just fine, so I'm not lacking in know-how.

VAGPARTS.COM has S4 chrome mirror housings... for a whopping 527.84 USD! You paid that much?
<a href="https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1546eca0760d603/shopdata/index.shopscript">Vagparts.com S4 mirror housings</a>
Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah man it was a piece of ****. Less than an hour, no probs.

Thats funny that it was such an ancient post. I guess I am an old man around here now.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM
cur

Default I ALMOST went ahead and bought it too.

What's the problem with them, they don't fit both sides?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The housing is secured by 4 tabs/slots--can't get all to line up--previous post has details
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Default got mine from ebay...

They were shipped from Germany. The guy's seller ID is oemgermanparts. He has some sets listed right now. I went for the brushed aluminum look though (which cost a bit more and was mentioned in the listing) but I don't seem to see any mention of them in his listings now. Not sure what style you're looking for but the ones I got from here worked.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd...i got the chrome ones...

<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A3-S3-Chrome-Sport-Mirrors-Case-Caps-Housing-5142_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQihZ019QQite mZ290157678714">similar to these...fits perfect.</a></li></ul>
Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thought it was same, but not--Mine aren't In.Pro. I contacted the seller, he inquired with maker

about this. Although they did a test fitting with many of them without problems, it could be that the lot mine came from was out of tolerance.

Also, mine are matte finish. These are seldom sold, whereas there are tons of chrome ones. I'm beginning to think that they're slightly different.

Btw, does the chrome version appear as true chrome, or does it have a slight dull finish to it, appearing more like polished aluminum?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've learned mine isn't In.Pro or Hagus--some non-marketed brand

Quick Reply: Where did A3 owners here buy their silver/aluminum style mirror housings?