Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Why do I even post here? Why does anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 06-15-2006, 08:37 AM

Default To validate my otherwise empty existance.....

Back when I had one of those things called a 'job' (before a selfish bastard downsized me so he could use the cost savings to fund his buyout of another partner in the firm; yes, I'm f'n bitter...) I've spent the last 11 years as an IT Director, System Administrator and IT Consultant. During that time I've made a living on KNOWLEDGE. Shrugging and saying 'I dunno' doesn't cut it. When I need to solve a problem, or figure out how to make a piece of software work, I scour the internet for all available knowledge on the topic. I did this with USENET before the WWWeb had enough content to be useful. I use open-source software as much as possible, and one of its greatest characteristics is to be able to get information from, and in return share information with, a community of other people who need/want to know the same things. Information wants to be free, and that takes everyone sharing, not hoarding, how to do something.

Same goes with cars. I discovered rec.autos on USENET in 1989, and was active on the BMW-Digest mailing list from 96-99, then on VWVortex from 99+, and rx8club.com for my g/f's car from 04+. Every one of those has increased my happiness/satisfaction with my car(s), solved problems for me, saved me money, taught me useful mods, and allowed me to share what I learned with other n00bs.

*I* post here (reluctantly, because I loathe and despise this forum format) and at vwvortex/fourtitude to share the knowledge that I have as payback for the knowledge that I've gained. Paying it forward, in other words. Example: I wanted to do a couple of things with VAG-COM (seatbelt chime & rear fogs), and got some information on the forums about it. But when I first got the chance to try it for real, I felt hamstrung because the info was really kind of half-assed, and I could see that there was soooo much more that could be done. I saw that it could be easy to dick up the long coding if one wasn't careful, and was frustrated with a stack of poorly-translated printed paper that was my 'note to self' while working with it. Based on that, I developed a spreadsheet to help myself do what I wanted to do. I could have kept it to myself, or tried to be all superior and secretive about it, but I made an effort to make it available to others in case it might help someone else. As I've figured out other things, I share them as well. At the same time, I've learned plenty from other people as well.

That's why I post here.

Now, I don't mind at all the amount of pictures, post-whoring, etc that you do MD, since you're not giving attitude to people, just sharing. That's cool. Personally, I have my A3 blog where I can post whatever I want, with comments turned off, and not get any flack from anyone. I'll do my post-whoring there.

I don't mind if someone wants to be a leach - not everyone has to invent new mods - but what I absolutely despise are those people who do nothing but criticise and bitch without contributing anything positive or helpful. Occasional criticisim where it's warranted is a good thing, but those who *only* want to squawk their opinion without being helpful, positive or a 'good citizen' need to just STFU and be banned. The next worst thing are people who are 'aways wrong', like that guy in the FedEx commercial ("you mean, we don't get French benefits?")

Anyway, back to searching careerbuilder.com.....
Old 06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So long as it's not a picture of your pole.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default btw, did you see that their blogspot ban extended to the DIY links now?

so lame . . . .
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well said !!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: btw, did you see that their blogspot ban extended to the DIY links now?

Yeah, existing posts were OK until updated, so the next time the DIY sticky was updated the filter kicked in and porked all the URLs. That's why I'm afraid to edit my sig there, at least it's working as it is.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default ^^^I nominate this as the post most likely to be published in paperback.^^^

Seriously, people post in different ways. Some people post constantly and others never post (but I know you're out there LURKER!) and it is all good. Even a grade A a-hole can fire off an amusing (or informative) post every now and then.

MD your pictures are pure art compared to the guy who used his (cheap) camera phone to take pictures of his (ugly) new wheels...and this comment isn't aimed at anyone in particular just an observation.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default you've helped me, I know that much!

My wife BTW did give your resume to her IT department. You'd die and go to heaven to work at this place. I need to touch base w her see whats up.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno but you've been a total PW since getting your A3!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you should have seen me on B6! ;-)

Quick Reply: Why do I even post here? Why does anyone?