Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Winter tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tire question.

How does a winter only tire like the Nokian Hakkapelitta RSi compare in dry roads to an all season like the P6? Debating getting a winter only tire vs. sticking with the stock P6, but don't know if there's a huge drop in dry road performance.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you dont need a winter tire dont get one

if you get enough snow to dictate winter rubber you dont need to worry about dry traction, just slow down :-)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default worse, of course, but you can find good winter sport tires...

that grip pretty well...i've just got my dunlop sport M3s...had the M2s on my TT, and ran well all winter -- dry, wet, or snow.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i run the hakkapeliitta rsi,....

it is a <B>huge</B> compromise in dry road handling. not like criminal, or anything, but it just makes der goot german car feel kinda like a 'normal' car.

i chose it this season because i live in a rural area at altitude, in the coloraudi mountains, and my snowy gravel road gets very little county maintenance.

ok, so i've said how much a trade-off it is on dry, but....on gravel, and in deep snow, and deep mud, and on glare ice, this tire is brilliant.
<I>and by next season, the tread blocks will be worn down halfway, so squirm will be lessened muchly, which means dry road handling will be dramatically improved, and gravel will be positively raucous</I>

with my quattro, i actually <I>could</I> get by with a high performance winter tire like the blizzak or the snowsport, but i wouldn't be able to get nearly as rad in the crud, and there might be a few days each season where i'd actually have to hike the last 60 yards to my door.

bottom line is, what climate do you live in? if you live north of 60, or above 8 or 9, you could probably justify the rsi, if not studs. otherwise, stay away, and get something more suited to the dry highway legs of our shveet german autos, like the lm-25

<I>hakka rsi and haldex are the stars of this little video - clik link below, turn up the volume</I><ul><li><a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/boki-san/cabina/?action=view&amp;current=snowshoehare.flv">clik for video</a></li></ul>
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the Dunlop wintersport 3D. I live in Wisconsin and have to deal with frequent snow and ice

in the winter but still the roads are often clear and dry in the winter too. The dunlop wintersports are quite good on dry roads for a winter tire. I've had the M2's, the M3's and now the 3D. All have been very good on dry and wet roads and good in the snow too.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Winter tire question.

Where do you live and how often does it snow? A/S tires are mediocre, at best, in all conditions. IMO after driving with 4 good snow tires it makes a huge difference and I am a firm believer in them.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2ND
Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 PM

Default not sure where you're from (tulsa?)...

but those of us that live near mountains can be on completely dry roads and then an hour later be on snow and ice covered roads. i do this almost daily during the winter.

snow tire performance on dry roads *is* an important factor for many people.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from missouri

lived in tulsa when i bought my a3
now i live in bend OR

my 2cents snow tires do much better on dry reads than all seasons do in the snow. anyhting can get decent traction on a dry surface but i takes a dedicated tyre to get good snow traction. that said i think driving in changing conditions like you get in the mtns is 80% driver