Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

It would seem that the Audi S3 Quattro and perhaps the A3 Quattro Sport have a fault.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It would seem that the Audi S3 Quattro and perhaps the A3 Quattro Sport have a fault.

For over a year now I have been seeing reports on this forum about the exhaust noise in wet weather. It would seem that the Audi S3 Quattro and perhaps the A3 Quattro Sport have a fault.

I reported this fault to Audi in August 1999. I was also told that the dealer had no knowledge of this problem. Later I was told that Audi were aware of the problem and the exhaust needed to be modified, I was by this time in contact with Audi (UK) technical department.

Audi has told me that this problem has been reported from various other countries from Northern Europe to Brazil.

So Audi (UK) are aware of the problem and have been for over 15 months. I also reported that the exhaust modification Audi claimed would cure the problem did not, that was in December 1999.

My S3 has been with Audi (UK) Technical department for three month in total for this one problem, yet the problem still exists. The reason eventually given to me for the cause of the problem had absolutely nothing to do with the exhaust system. The exhaust noise is simply a symptom of the main problem.

As Audi are aware that the problem exists and also know that in some cases the exhaust modification does not stop the problem a few questions arise
1. Why are the vehicles still being built and sold with a known defect?
2. Why has Audi (UK) not instructed all of its dealers about the problem and the cure they claim, for the problem?
3. As certainly in my case, and a few others, the exhaust modification has not worked, then is the reason given for the problem the correct one? I am no motor mechanic but if anyone tells me that they have found the problem and a cure for that problem, I would expect the cure to work.
4. Why do Audi keep denying this problem?
Old 11-02-2000, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not all have the fault...

I have a 1.8TQ and the problem was reported in another thread.

The fix is a modified part that was fitted to the exhaust system as explained by the dealer form an S3 (so it is the same part).

My car was delivered on the 1st April this year and has the modified part from the factory. As I asked the garage to check in newport when it went in a minor problem.

They ordered the spare part but it did not need to be fitted as the car already had the modified part.

So the issue is I guess why did it take Audi so long as opposed to your 15 months I make it only 8. Does that make it half as bad - I don't think so. But though you would like an update.