Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Are Xenons a must have option???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Night vs. Day difference especially as you get older!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM

That's probably what someone said the first time headlights were used on a car
Old 01-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default a nice little video... sorry for the hyperlink.

a nice little video... sorry for the hyperlink.

http://www.nogaroblue.com/videos/closebeamdivx.avi
Old 01-06-2006, 06:20 PM

Default that's just an inane comment...

what is so great about Xenon headlights besides the fact that eveyone knows you can afford $800 headlights on a $35k VW Golf?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 PM

Uhm, like, more light?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:33 AM

Default but it's not 'more light'...

different frequency light aimed differently.
They're just not worth the $$ in my, and many people's, opinion.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22 AM

Default lighten up. it was a joke. if you have to ask the question you have never experianced

the vastly superior technology of xenon over halogen.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:29 AM

Default are you really as stupid as you come across? this is the Audi blurb

Xenon headlights
Xenon headlights use gas-discharge lamps that are electronically controlled. The arc unit contains a gas consisting largely of xenon, an inert gas, that is ignited by high-voltage. The resulting arc is very bright and serves as an excellent light source to illuminate the road. The spectrum of xenon light is much closer to daylight than conventional halogen, giving it a light blue-white color. Xenon headlights produce about TWICE AS MUCH LIGHT as comparable halogen headlights, and make night driving, particularly in poor weather, safer and less tiring for the driver's eyes.

TWICE AS MUCH LIGHT. NIGHT DRIVING IN POOR WEATHER IS SAFER. FOR $800? I'LL BET YOU WANT A STIFFER SUSPENSION FOR YOUR $800, RIGHT? JUST AS LONG AS WHEN YOU'RE BLIND GOING AROUND A CORNER IN FOG AT NIGHT WHILE IT'S RAINING YOU DON'T RUN INTO ME THAT'S FINE

And to get another piece of A8 technology for $800 is a bargain. I'm glad I have Bi-X with DAY TIME running lights on my A3.

Audi took a page out of the VW book which provided me with day time running lights on my 00 Golf.

Adaptive Bi-xenon headlights
Adaptive bi-xenon headlights help the driver to see ahead in the dark by lighting up corners and bends in the road more effectively. An additional reflector switches on when the indicator is activated or the steering wheel turned by any significant degree, thus illuminating the bend or corner. The system greatly improves illumination of the road in front and to the sides of the vehicle, making it easier for the driver to anticipate the course ahead.

The Audi A8 L W12 quattro is the first vehicle in the world to pair adaptive bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights, which, with their distinctive 5-star pointed design, make the vehicle instantly recognizable. LED last through the vehicle's lifetime, and are brighter and exponentially more energy efficient than traditional technology. Thanks to LED technology, daytime running lights add virtually nothing to fuel consumption.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Does lumen mean anything to you?

That's the unit to measure light.

HIDs produce between 2800 and 3000 lumens (out of 42 Watt), while Halogens produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens (out of 40 to 65 Watt).

Are you still trying to tell me that HID is not giving you more light? In that case you should see your opthalmologist.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Maybe all he's seen is an aftermarket Xenon where they just popped in the bulb

but did not modify the reflector. In those systems, too much of the extra light output goes up in the air as glare to blind oncoming traffic. A good Xenon system directs the light onto the road with no glare. They just cost you more money.

Quick Reply: Are Xenons a must have option???