Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

XPOST: My A3 Quattro experience in treacherous weather tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPOST: My A3 Quattro experience in treacherous weather tonight.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/nynj/msgs/155825.phtml">Sheets of Ice</a></li></ul>
Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have you ever driven your A4 in similar conditions? If so, is there a difference?
Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 AM

Default never in ince like this but the A4 always felt more...

planted but I have had the rear slide or shimmy a little. The truth is the A4 has a lot less power and the turbo prevents quick getaways off the line where the A3 brings on the power more immediately so I think that contributes to the difference more than the different AWD systems. I could ease onto the turbo engine throttle more because I knew when the turbo would kick in.

The A3 and the A4 in packed snow, pre-plow, no ice, handle about the same. Ive been able to drive teh A4 in 4" of snow (any more and you cant really clear it with the undercarriage) and it was no issue at all. I havent had to drive that in the A3 yet but I imagine it would be fine.

The same tires/wheels I used on two different A4's so there's no difference there.

Ive also only had the A3 for 6 months and I had turbo cars for so long before that so Im still getting used to the added power, the different AWD and other characteristics present in the DSG.

While Ive lost some confidence driving in ice, Id say that it can still handle most severe weather the same.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You have standard OEM Haldex controller on your car, right?

Wonder if having the Haldex Gen 2 in Sport mode would make handling behavior seem more like the A4 under same conditions.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I guess if there's absolutely no grip then nothing really matters.

I just wonder if the Haldex contributes to some of the uncertainty that you felt in that extreme situation because there's a delay in it's reaction, which is what Craig3Q is getting at. Nonetheless, you made it through unscathed despite how the car felt. These situations always remind me of the video from last year:<ul><li><a href="http://www.king5.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/makeASX.php?title=www.king5.com/kiraw_011607portlandhomevid.wmv">this sucks</a></li></ul>
Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Glad you are ok. That is simply the laws of physics. 0 traction=doesn't matter what

4wd system you have. For anything to work, you must have tire traction. A pure sheet of ice, nothing will get up it that cannot break thru the ice.
The only thing that would have worked in that situation is chains. JMO from your description of the situation.

It was a good read, thanks for posting that. How are you liking the A3Q? I'm considering a 2.0TDSG (prefer Quattro if the price is ok)