Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 Sportback e-tron

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't check the website until after it was already transmitting data, so I can't confirm, but I think that's similar to what my iOS app looked like before I took the car for a spin yesterday. I assume you've driven it to test that theory already?

Originally Posted by bruinmac
I just called Audi USA, and their tech/IT guys are looking at the problem. Apparently, I'm not the only one having this problem. I confirmed with them that this is not because I don't have the Technology Package, since yours is working and you have that. They said all e-trons have the SIM embedded in them for e-tron connect services. So it's either my car, their backend or Verizons. For what its worth, this is what a non-working e-tron portal looks like:

Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyrclark
I didn't check the website until after it was already transmitting data, so I can't confirm, but I think that's similar to what my iOS app looked like before I took the car for a spin yesterday. I assume you've driven it to test that theory already?
Yup, actually drove it 25 miles today (15 EV and 10 Hybrid). Still no data on either portal.
-Ben
Old 01-18-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still no resolution with failure of e-tron connect with my car. Furthermore, if I select the Charge Later/Scheduled Charging button in front of the car, it doesn't seem to be able to select it (the LED button for charge later doesn't light up). On charge now button LED (one below is always lit up)!

How is this suppose to work anyway? I thought I'm able to select charging types from the where the charger plugs in.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@bruinmac - that is frustrating that you have no resolution on the e-tron connect app! mine seems to be working correctly, I had a chance to drive it around a fair bit yesterday and charged at a couple different stations and was able to monitor charging progress and turn on the climate control remotely (which apparently is possible from the app, contrary to what I stated earlier - it's just that the button is worded oddly and says "Auxiliary climate control on" in bold letters when it is off, and vice versa - in other words that doesn't indicate the current status but what it will do when you press it).

Not sure what to tell you on the charging timer and the button, I haven't messed with those yet as I've generally just plugged in my car and left it in until I use it next. Which, btw, I'm curious about - does anyone know the best strategy for charging the car battery? Does it degrade it long term if I charge and leave it plugged in until the next time I need the car? I thought the timer was mainly for people who want to make sure to charge during off-peak hours, which I'm not sure applies with my power company. I read the manual but saw nothing about whether it causes any long-term harm to keep it plugged in overnight and when not in use so that it has a full charge whenever you leave.

Still no resolution with failure of e-tron connect with my car. Furthermore, if I select the Charge Later/Scheduled Charging button in front of the car, it doesn't seem to be able to select it (the LED button for charge later doesn't light up). On charge now button LED (one below is always lit up)!

How is this suppose to work anyway? I thought I'm able to select charging types from the where the charger plugs in.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jeremy,

It is frustrating not being able to use e-tron connect services at all, especially for those of us without the Technology Package/MMI Plus screen. We can't do any climate or charging scheduling in the car. I have made calls to Verizon/e-tron telematics and Audi USA, and all they can tell me is that my problem has been escalated to priority levels, and they have their tech people troubleshooting their servers/backends/etc. I want them to tell me that it's my car not sending out signals, so at least I know that I can take it in for service. However, they are not wiling to accept that resolution because they said, I am not alone in this problem and apparently, there are other e-tron owners that are not able to use e-tron connect services.

Regarding the charging buttons in front of the vehicle. Maybe I'm not able to select the Charging Timer Button because there is no set charging schedule. The manual does state, "If a charging timer is not set, the charging process will start automatically..." But I am not able to test this out because well, I can't set scheduled charging (hello!). Can you test this button out when you get a chance?

As far as leaving the plug in when the battery is fully charged, I know that when I'm using ChargePoint, an hourly paid charging station here at work, I get a notification when the car is drawing no or minimal power from the charging station. I know the car stops pulling power when charged, and only minimally pulls power to top off whatever power the car uses when it is plugged in. With that said, I don't think that degrades the battery.

Over the long weekend, I drove from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back and got an average of 45 MPGe. If I had the e-tron working properly, I could have gotten a better driving/consumption/efficiency information.

-Benjamin

@bruinmac - that is frustrating that you have no resolution on the e-tron connect app! mine seems to be working correctly, I had a chance to drive it around a fair bit yesterday and charged at a couple different stations and was able to monitor charging progress and turn on the climate control remotely (which apparently is possible from the app, contrary to what I stated earlier - it's just that the button is worded oddly and says "Auxiliary climate control on" in bold letters when it is off, and vice versa - in other words that doesn't indicate the current status but what it will do when you press it).

Not sure what to tell you on the charging timer and the button, I haven't messed with those yet as I've generally just plugged in my car and left it in until I use it next. Which, btw, I'm curious about - does anyone know the best strategy for charging the car battery? Does it degrade it long term if I charge and leave it plugged in until the next time I need the car? I thought the timer was mainly for people who want to make sure to charge during off-peak hours, which I'm not sure applies with my power company. I read the manual but saw nothing about whether it causes any long-term harm to keep it plugged in overnight and when not in use so that it has a full charge whenever you leave.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@bruinmac: I'll try to experiment with the charge schedule/button when I get a chance and let you know what I find. I suspect that as you said it requires the schedule to be set before you can activate anything with the button.

It certainly seems like your issue is somewhere between your car and the server, but whether it's your car not transmitting the data or the data going to the server but being associated with the wrong VIN/account, it's hard to say. I wonder if there's a way to remove your Verizon SIM card and re-insert it or something to make it wake up? I think the SIM card in the glove box is the standard Audi Connect (AT&T) card, and I'm not sure where the Verizon one is (it may be intentionally hard to access). But at least that *may* be something you're able to try on your end without taking it in for service.

Jeremy,

It is frustrating not being able to use e-tron connect services at all, especially for those of us without the Technology Package/MMI Plus screen. We can't do any climate or charging scheduling in the car. I have made calls to Verizon/e-tron telematics and Audi USA, and all they can tell me is that my problem has been escalated to priority levels, and they have their tech people troubleshooting their servers/backends/etc. I want them to tell me that it's my car not sending out signals, so at least I know that I can take it in for service. However, they are not wiling to accept that resolution because they said, I am not alone in this problem and apparently, there are other e-tron owners that are not able to use e-tron connect services.

Regarding the charging buttons in front of the vehicle. Maybe I'm not able to select the Charging Timer Button because there is no set charging schedule. The manual does state, "If a charging timer is not set, the charging process will start automatically..." But I am not able to test this out because well, I can't set scheduled charging (hello!). Can you test this button out when you get a chance?

As far as leaving the plug in when the battery is fully charged, I know that when I'm using ChargePoint, an hourly paid charging station here at work, I get a notification when the car is drawing no or minimal power from the charging station. I know the car stops pulling power when charged, and only minimally pulls power to top off whatever power the car uses when it is plugged in. With that said, I don't think that degrades the battery.

Over the long weekend, I drove from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back and got an average of 45 MPGe. If I had the e-tron working properly, I could have gotten a better driving/consumption/efficiency information.

-Benjamin
Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. The e-tron connect SIM card is supposedly built-in to every e-tron made, and is supposedly 3G and tied to the car's VIN, and in the USA is supported by Verizon Telematics.

Want to hear something funny? I inquired about the e-tron charging cabinet. Audi USA gave me Bosch's number to order it. Called the Bosch number and they said, no Audi is supposing to be selling those cabinets. So apparently nobody knows where the f**k you're suppose to get them, let alone just get the price for them.
-Benjamin

@bruinmac: I'll try to experiment with the charge schedule/button when I get a chance and let you know what I find. I suspect that as you said it requires the schedule to be set before you can activate anything with the button.

It certainly seems like your issue is somewhere between your car and the server, but whether it's your car not transmitting the data or the data going to the server but being associated with the wrong VIN/account, it's hard to say. I wonder if there's a way to remove your Verizon SIM card and re-insert it or something to make it wake up? I think the SIM card in the glove box is the standard Audi Connect (AT&T) card, and I'm not sure where the Verizon one is (it may be intentionally hard to access). But at least that *may* be something you're able to try on your end without taking it in for service.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, that's the same story I was getting with the cabinet. Nobody could tell me who to buy it from, or how much it costs. I understand from the documentation that Bosch worked on a custom design for this cabinet with Audi but that's about it. I assumed since Bosch sells other chargers and cabinets that they would sell these as well, but their website doesn't have any information for it. It's a bit of a cluster, for sure. Clearly, Audi USA's first time at this electric rodeo. What puzzles me however, is this model (as well as the charger, I presume) have been available across Europe for a year now - so you'd think they'd have worked these kinks out already.

In my case, after discovering through your experience getting it to work on a 20A circuit, I knew I could use my existing 30A circuit instead of the 50A circuit the Bosch person told me I needed. I also discovered after taking delivery of the car that the charging cable (the part that actually plugs into the car) isn't long enough for me to install the cabinet on the side wall of my garage where my current 240V outlet is. Since I found I could get the correct NEMA adapter and I could order it as a 10 foot cable, I did that rather than having a new circuit and outlet installed right in front of the car. So now I wouldn't have much use for a cabinet anyway, and it ended up saving me some money.

Thank you. The e-tron connect SIM card is supposedly built-in to every e-tron made, and is supposedly 3G and tied to the car's VIN, and in the USA is supported by Verizon Telematics.

Want to hear something funny? I inquired about the e-tron charging cabinet. Audi USA gave me Bosch's number to order it. Called the Bosch number and they said, no Audi is supposing to be selling those cabinets. So apparently nobody knows where the f**k you're suppose to get them, let alone just get the price for them.
-Benjamin
Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that's the same story I was getting with the cabinet. Nobody could tell me who to buy it from, or how much it costs. I understand from the documentation that Bosch worked on a custom design for this cabinet with Audi but that's about it. I assumed since Bosch sells other chargers and cabinets that they would sell these as well, but their website doesn't have any information for it. It's a bit of a cluster, for sure. Clearly, Audi USA's first time at this electric rodeo. What puzzles me however, is this model (as well as the charger, I presume) have been available across Europe for a year now - so you'd think they'd have worked these kinks out already.

In my case, after discovering through your experience getting it to work on a 20A circuit, I knew I could use my existing 30A circuit instead of the 50A circuit the Bosch person told me I needed. I also discovered after taking delivery of the car that the charging cable (the part that actually plugs into the car) isn't long enough for me to install the cabinet on the side wall of my garage where my current 240V outlet is. Since I found I could get the correct NEMA adapter and I could order it as a 10 foot cable, I did that rather than having a new circuit and outlet installed right in front of the car. So now I wouldn't have much use for a cabinet anyway, and it ended up saving me some money.
Guess what? It's on Bosch's website. Cabinet.

Last edited by bruinmac; 01-20-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ben - I'm afraid that's the same "page" for the cabinet they've had up there since August. There's a picture, and it describes the dimensions but no additional details. Instead of listing a price it says "Purchase Price" and the link to the cabinet takes to Audi USA's homepage. The only hint of how to purchase is the text that says "Consult Your Audi Dealer" which is a joke, because the dealers (in my experience) have know knowledge of how to order one or the price, and instead direct you to Bosch. :-)

No luck yet on the etron connect app data?

Guess what? It's on Bosch's website. Cabinet.

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 Sportback e-tron