Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 Cabriolet Trunk Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 AM
2018 A3 Quattro Cabriolet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Cabriolet Trunk Dimensions

Anybody have the trunk measurements for the 2018 A3 Cab (roof stowed). I've looked everywhere and all they quote are litres. And the Audi schematic measurements for the entire car don't specify the trunk dimensions.

Looks like I'm not getting car until Saturday, and have to drive someone to airport on the next day. I won't have opportunity to test the luggage size, so either I drive the new car and pray luggage fits, or I take the GL450. (I really want to drive the new car). At worst I can measure the trunk after I get the car, if I stop driving long enough.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gflo
Anybody have the trunk measurements for the 2018 A3 Cab (roof stowed). I've looked everywhere and all they quote are litres. And the Audi schematic measurements for the entire car don't specify the trunk dimensions.

Looks like I'm not getting car until Saturday, and have to drive someone to airport on the next day. I won't have opportunity to test the luggage size, so either I drive the new car and pray luggage fits, or I take the GL450. (I really want to drive the new car). At worst I can measure the trunk after I get the car, if I stop driving long enough.
You probably already know the answer, or took your other car. If you really wanted to know there are on line converters for metric volume to cubic ft. volume. In the end that would not matter.

Actually the important thing is usability of space not the actual dimensions with the top down. We regularly go out of town and have no problem fitting two carry on (air line legal for overhead bin) suit cases front to back, a laptop case, Playmate cooler (for about 8 cans of pop) and several other small things of a size no larger than distance from top of the carry on bags and top of the trunk. It is possible that one larger suit case could fit vertically. There will be more volume with the top up if you pop up the bin for the top. .

My last car was a VW EOS.while it had similar trunk dimensions the trunk space available was not as practical at fitting stuff in. Soft top convertibles are way better than hard top ones in terms of trunk space. Some of the latter are so bad you would be lucky to fit in a couple of golf clubs with the top down.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by BobMar46
You probably already know the answer, or took your other car. If you really wanted to know there are on line converters for metric volume to cubic ft. volume. In the end that would not matter.

Actually the important thing is usability of space not the actual dimensions with the top down. We regularly go out of town and have no problem fitting two carry on (air line legal for overhead bin) suit cases front to back, a laptop case, Playmate cooler (for about 8 cans of pop) and several other small things of a size no larger than distance from top of the carry on bags and top of the trunk. It is possible that one larger suit case could fit vertically. There will be more volume with the top up if you pop up the bin for the top. .

My last car was a VW EOS.while it had similar trunk dimensions the trunk space available was not as practical at fitting stuff in. Soft top convertibles are way better than hard top ones in terms of trunk space. Some of the latter are so bad you would be lucky to fit in a couple of golf clubs with the top down.
Thanks. Yeah the A3 got delivered late so had to take the SUV to the airport. I measured it after and figured the two mediums would fit laying flat, or the large suitcase. But not all 3. Or we leave the kids behind and felt the rear seats down. Lol.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don’t buy an A3 cab for the trunk space ��
Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thompsam
You don’t buy an A3 cab for the trunk space ��
Yes but...

I tend to think that many of us who have cabs wanted a convertible and that the A3 was one of those considered. While not as many choices as with an SUV or sedan there are a lot of choices. .Some of us like to be able to go out of town with the top down when the weather is appropriate yet still have enough room for what we need to take with. Compared to a number of other drop tops on the market the A3 fits that bill. While not the only consideration it is one of many considerations for some of us. I know not all who own an A3 cab use it as a daily driver, but I do. One of my sons recently bought a TT cab for his wife as an extra car for when the weather was nice and she does not have more than one passenger. It is a fun car to derive, but not a daily driver for most.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:38 AM

Yes but...

I tend to think that many of us who have cabs wanted a convertible and that the A3 was one of those considered. While not as many choices as with an SUV or sedan there are a lot of choices. .Some of us like to be able to go out of town with the top down when the weather is appropriate yet still have enough room for what we need to take with. Compared to a number of other drop tops on the market the A3 fits that bill. While not the only consideration it is one of many considerations for some of us. I know not all who own an A3 cab use it as a daily driver, but I do. One of my sons recently bought a TT cab for his wife as an extra car for when the weather was nice and she does not have more than one passenger. It is a fun car to derive, but not a daily driver for most.
I didn't buy it for trunk space (but quite happy with what's available, although I dont store my camping gear and golf clubs in there anymore).

Was looking to use it immediately after picking up to do an airport run and didn't have the time to test luggage out. Otherwise would have involved two hours of running home to pick up the truck.

Moot point anyway since delivery was late so we used the SUV.

If anyone cares. 37"w x 26"d x (11"h roof down 15"h roof up). It fits 2x 25" suitcases easy or the 30x18, but not both sets.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Holds even less after you add a spare tire.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Holds even less after you add a spare tire.
The night of January 1st I had two flats on the same side of the car. One would not have helped. I was doing about 75 when the both blew. Wiped out both. I never saw whatever caused. At least there was not a handling issue getting the car off the road. In spite of it being a holiday I was able to get a tow truck in less than a half an hour. Not a good way to start the year.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

The night of January 1st I had two flats on the same side of the car. One would not have helped. I was doing about 75 when the both blew. Wiped out both. I never saw whatever caused. At least there was not a handling issue getting the car off the road. In spite of it being a holiday I was able to get a tow truck in less than a half an hour. Not a good way to start the year.
Glad you are OK. Ours have the 18" wheels, (we run 16's in winter) Were you running your 19's when you had the double flat?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Glad you are OK. Ours have the 18" wheels, (we run 16's in winter) Were you running your 19's when you had the double flat?
I was running Continental DWS 06's, There must have been something on the road that I did not see or hear. It was only the second time a double flat has ever happened to me. The first time was years ago about the time radial tires first came out. I had to do a forced 180- at over 50 mph to avoid hitting a bridge after being cut off on a four lane non limited access highway (the old Route 66 before it became Interstate 55.) The maneuver unseated both tires on the right side of the car. No body damage but it did bend the rear axle. I ended up in the grassy median with back end of the car 3 feet from railing for the river hear the other cement post similar to the one I would have hit. The other car pulled out into the left lane in front of me and there was no way of stopping. Left wheels were on the pavement and right on a gravel shoulder. Back end of the car was fishtailing and I was headed for a cement bridge post. The 180 saved me. It was that or go into the river. Frankly it took me a long time before I was willing to get a car with anti lock breaks. They would have prevented the maneuver.. .