Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A3 e-tron. What is EV battery replacement threshold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue and recently had the/a software update done. We have a 17 with 40k miles and it would charge all night and have 15miles of charge in the morning, but would still continue to charge. After the S/W it charges for ~7hrs on a 110 and has 19 or 20 miles showing.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

""Dealer supposedly sent logs to Audi and they said everything is normal and will not replace the battery. There's apparently a SW fix coming out this quarter to address the display only showing 7/8 bars of charge at full. That doesn't address the reduced range though. Not sure what recourse I have here. I expressed my frustration to the service advisor, but I know he can't do anything without approval from Audi."

My first request about battery replacement had a similar response from the dealer. However, the AudiUSA advocate (customer service) told me that nothing gets "sent to Audi" the dealer's internal engineers make the determination. Tell them to test drive to prove range is not where it should be.

Last edited by Bruuster; 04-06-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They told me they sent datalogs to TAC.

They didn't charge me anything for the diagnostics, which doesn't seem like a good business model. The service advisor said he'd love nothing more to replace my battery after they had the car for a week, because then they could bill the hours under warrranty, but TAC wouldn't approve it.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bruuster
Coincidence? I dropped my car off today at the dealer for the second time. Yes, 2 months a go they gave me the "song and dance" that they contacted Audi USA and the fact that it charges to 15 on the dashboard means it's within spec.
They told me that they re-balanced the battery cells and I should drive it 500 miles to see if there is improvement. I called Audi USA. They told me that no dealer really contacts them about service. The contact was made internally with the staff engineers at dealership.

I drove the 500 miles. No change. Now I get 11 miles on EV. I took photos of the dashboard showing
EV miles driven and remaining. I also have kept an EV mileage log since my purchase in 2019. I gave them this proof today. I'll keep you posted.

BTW in California the warranty is 15 years or 150,000.
Hi, could you please tell me where did you get this info about 15 years warranty in California? I've just bought a car 12/2015 two days ago and dealer told me that 10 years warranty has been already expired. I saw you message and interested where I can find in official source this proof of 15 years warranty. I'm in California.
I bought a car from Audi /Volkswagen official dealer and they lied me all the way when I was sitting in their office so I'm really mad about that.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do a google search for CA EV warranty. There are many articles that state the 15yr. battery warranty in CA.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Official Statement

Hi Guys,

Great thread here. I have an Audi A3 etron 2016 with 90,000 miles on it. I get about 10 miles average on EV and only have 7/8 charge bars lighting up when fully charged. The dash will show a range of 18 miles. Has anyone gotten an official response yet from audi as to what the threshold is?

Old 09-19-2023, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Each dealer makes their own decision internally. Take photos of dash display and create a spreadsheet that shows mileage degrading on EV. Then be firm with your dealer that you want a replacement battery.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also have a 2016 A3 e-tron here. 7/8 bars at "full" charge, 17 miles indicated, only getting about 11 miles of actual EV range at ~45 mph. Much fewer at highway speeds.

I've just started getting errors on the dash when switching over from traction battery to ICE when at highway speeds if I start at a full charge and run it all down in one shot. The ICE continues to run and will not shut off. It's happened twice in the past week, but goes away when I restart the car. The car takes a charge normally.
I'm seeing codes P0B5A and P0B5F which are related to the EV Battery Voltage Sense "G" and "H" Circuit. I suspect at least one cell is falling below the minimum allowable voltage when at the bottom of charge. I'm scheduled to go to the dealer in early October (a different one than I took it to in April).
Old 10-15-2023, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2016 Audi A3 e-tron with 50k miles was just in the dealer last week. Battery would only charge to 7/8 bars and show 17-21miles range. Real world range is close to 10-15 miles under ideal slow speed light acceleration driving conditions.
After a week dealer indicated the battery still has 92% capacity and provided an addendum to user manual stating that the bars shows both SOC (State of Charge) and SOH (State of Health) of the battery, hence 7/8 bars is still considered normal provided the battery has degraded to 92% of it's full life.
Should I contact Audi USA to see if they'd be able to replace the abttery? 10-15 miles of real driving range seems pretty bad and unacceptable to me.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

To help your case, take photos of your dash showing a full charge. Then reset the trip odometer to show how many miles you are going on EV. Then take more dash photos to show remaining EV mileage etc. I also made a chart showing my EV mileage when I bought the car and how it degraded over time. Brought both to dealer and convinced them. Audi USA told me that when the dealer says they checked with Audi about the battery they are only speaking with their internal engineers. Audi USA is not able to override the dealer. They are just an advocate.

Quick Reply: A3 e-tron. What is EV battery replacement threshold?