Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Audi A3 2.0T Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow999
....but who has 6 hours to change oil?
I always do my oil changes over two days with a drain overnight. yeah, a little OCD about getting the old dirty stuff out
Old 10-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AJ6 had it right....a 5-minute warm-up wasn't enough. I changed the oil today after my wife had been tooling around town all day.
It only took about 10 minutes to completely drain the pan. And I really worked it to make sure I got as much of the old oil out of the pan as possible.
Changing the filter was a breeze. After extracting the oil, covered the entire area around the filter with paper towels, and used a big crescent wrench to just break it free, then it was fairly easy to turn by hand. Even putting it back on with the new filter was easy - the factory put a green mark on the filter and housing and I used that to make sure everything was on snugly without being too tight.
FYI, the only place I could find 5w-40 oil was Castro, from Amazon.

I can provide pics and step by step of the whole process, if anyone is interested.

OH, and in case you didn't get it, Audi sent me an email saying the map on the Navi has an update available. Did that, too. It was 14gb and took about 30 minutes to download and copy to a SD card, then another 45 minutes or so to update the Navi in the car.
The following users liked this post:
ThisIsFRSH (03-31-2020)
Old 10-03-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

AJ6 had it right....a 5-minute warm-up wasn't enough. I changed the oil today after my wife had been tooling around town all day.
It only took about 10 minutes to completely drain the pan. And I really worked it to make sure I got as much of the old oil out of the pan as possible.
Changing the filter was a breeze. After extracting the oil, covered the entire area around the filter with paper towels, and used a big crescent wrench to just break it free, then it was fairly easy to turn by hand. Even putting it back on with the new filter was easy - the factory put a green mark on the filter and housing and I used that to make sure everything was on snugly without being too tight.

I can provide pics and step by step of the whole process, if anyone is interested.

OH, and in case you didn't get it, Audi sent me an email saying the map on the Navi has an update available. Did that, too. It was 14gb and took about 30 minutes to download and copy to a SD card, then another 45 minutes or so to update the Navi in the car.
Was the map update free?

The service advisor at the audi dealer said they use the extraction method but there are drain plugs on the A3.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could you please upload the pictures step by step the whole process? =)
that would be handy! But is it gonna be same with S3?
The following users liked this post:
ThisIsFRSH (03-31-2020)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oil Change Step By Step

I apologize, I do not know about the S3. But, considering that it is a 2.0 motor, I'd imagine it's not much different than the 2.0T motor in the A3.

I apologize, I would have uploaded more photos, but the forum only allows five.

Materials needed:
6qts Castrol 5w-40 Synthetic (Audi recommended, couldn't find any other brand in that weight)
Robot Check Robot Check

Oil Filter Cartridge Kit
EuropaParts.com: Oil Filter (1.8T/2.0T) - 06L115562
Oil Extractor (there's a million of them out there, but this worked fine for me)
Robot Check Robot Check

Large Crescent Wrench (don't know the exact size of the filter, but a 12" should work)
Robot Check Robot Check

Shop Gloves (note that unless you have tiny hands, get the extra large)
Robot Check Robot Check

1. Drive your car until it is really warm. Five minutes will not do it.
2. Pop the hood and pull off the engine cover. Start with the back left corner, pulling straight up, and work your way around clockwise.
3. Undo the oil filler cap.
4. Remove the dip stick and insert the oil extractor tube all the way in. I like to jam paper towels all over the place to guard against leaks or spills.
5. My extractor said 20 pumps would be enough. I pumped it periodically throughout the process. (Image 1)
6. When about half the oil was out, I jammed more paper towels all around the filter. Use the crescent wrench to carefully (so you don't scratch the pretty black paint on the filter housing) break the filter housing free. Then you can loosen by hand. When loose, pull straight up - there is a plunger that extends another 4-5" beyond the filter. (Images 2,3,4).
7. Take the filter out of the housing. Remove the rubber O-Ring from the filter housing. I just used a very small flat blade screwdriver. Put the new rubber O-ring on (It's flexible, so it's not hard to do) and give it a thin coat of new oil. Put your new filter in to the housing and screw it back on the motor. Note in Image 5 how I had a green mark on the housing and motor - it helped me to properly tighten the housing without over tightening it.
8. Move the extractor hose around and pump it some more - even when it stops getting oil, I found with another 5 minutes of rotating and pushing in more, and then pumping again, I was able to get a bunch more dirty oil.
9. Carefully remove the extractor hose.
10. Again, I like to pile paper towels around the oil filler neck to guard against spills. The A3 2.0T calls for 6 quarts of oil. After 5 quarts, I wait a few seconds and check the level on the dipstick. Poured in half the 6th quart and checked again. Poured in another quarter and checked again. Right at the full mark. I'll check it again after it has been driven a few dozen miles or so.
11. Put your oil filler cap back on, check all your other fluid levels - brakes, coolant, etc. Put your engine cover back on - easiest if you feel the hole on the bottom of the engine cover in the left front cover while aligning with the mounting post, and then work your way around counter-clockwise.
12. Reset your oil change service reminder in the MMI system, if equipped. Sorry, I don't know how to do it if you don't have MMI, but here's MMI-equipped instructions:
A. Turn on the system
B. Hit the Menu button
C. Select Service And Control
D. Select Service Intervals
E. Select Reset Oil Change Interval

You should be all good! I'll write another thread with instructions for the FREE map update, which Audi neglected to provide anywhere, and I had to figure out on my own (gee, do they want you to go in to the service department, or what?).
Attached Images      

Last edited by shadow999; 10-04-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I apologize, I do not know about the S3. But, considering that it is a 2.0 motor, I'd imagine it's not much different than the 2.0T motor in the A3.

I apologize, I would have uploaded more photos, but the forum only allows five.

Materials needed:
6qts Castrol 5w-40 Synthetic (Audi recommended, couldn't find any other brand in that weight)
Robot Check

Oil Filter Cartridge Kit
EuropaParts.com: Oil Filter (1.8T/2.0T) - 06L115562
Oil Extractor (there's a million of them out there, but this worked fine for me)
Robot Check

Large Crescent Wrench (don't know the exact size of the filter, but a 12" should work)
Robot Check

Shop Gloves (note that unless you have tiny hands, get the extra large)
Robot Check

1. Drive your car until it is really warm. Five minutes will not do it.
2. Pop the hood and pull off the engine cover. Start with the back left corner, pulling straight up, and work your way around clockwise.
3. Undo the oil filler cap.
4. Remove the dip stick and insert the oil extractor tube all the way in. I like to jam paper towels all over the place to guard against leaks or spills.
5. My extractor said 20 pumps would be enough. I pumped it periodically throughout the process. (Image 1)
6. When about half the oil was out, I jammed more paper towels all around the filter. Use the crescent wrench to carefully (so you don't scratch the pretty black paint on the filter housing) break the filter housing free. Then you can loosen by hand. When loose, pull straight up - there is a plunger that extends another 4-5" beyond the filter. (Images 2,3,4).
7. Take the filter out of the housing. Remove the rubber O-Ring from the filter housing. I just used a very small flat blade screwdriver. Put the new rubber O-ring on (It's flexible, so it's not hard to do) and give it a thin coat of new oil. Put your new filter in to the housing and screw it back on the motor. Note in Image 5 how I had a green mark on the housing and motor - it helped me to properly tighten the housing without over tightening it.
8. Move the extractor hose around and pump it some more - even when it stops getting oil, I found with another 5 minutes of rotating and pushing in more, and then pumping again, I was able to get a bunch more dirty oil.
9. Carefully remove the extractor hose.
10. Again, I like to pile paper towels around the oil filler neck to guard against spills. The A3 2.0T calls for 6 quarts of oil. After 5 quarts, I wait a few seconds and check the level on the dipstick. Poured in half the 6th quart and checked again. Poured in another quarter and checked again. Right at the full mark. I'll check it again after it has been driven a few dozen miles or so.
11. Put your oil filler cap back on, check all your other fluid levels - brakes, coolant, etc. Put your engine cover back on - easiest if you feel the hole on the bottom of the engine cover in the left front cover while aligning with the mounting post, and then work your way around counter-clockwise.
12. Reset your oil change service reminder in the MMI system, if equipped. Sorry, I don't know how to do it if you don't have MMI, but here's MMI-equipped instructions:
A. Turn on the system
B. Hit the Menu button
C. Select Service And Control
D. Select Service Intervals
E. Select Reset Oil Change Interval

You should be all good! I'll write another thread with instructions for the FREE map update, which Audi neglected to provide anywhere, and I had to figure out on my own (gee, do they want you to go in to the service department, or what?).
OH wow!!! you are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the update! =)
that looks easier than my old 06 corolla...
I can't wait til i get my S3 and work on the car!! xD
Old 10-05-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does the A3/S3 have a dip stick? My 2011 Q5 2.0T does not. But it does have a oil drain plug.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just read some posts in another forum about the Q5. Wow.

I can't say for certain that the S3 has a dipstick, but the A3 definitely does.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...hange-2808303/
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is the one I have:
Multi-Fluid Extractor - Griot's Garage[/QUOTE]

Going to pick one up myself! Great price! I plan on changing the oil every 5000 miles alternating between myself and the dealership doing it under Audi Care. Thanks for the post!

Quick Reply: Audi A3 2.0T Oil Change