Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi Presense not covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
I do not buy the $700 bill....About 6-7 hours labour time to align a sensor.......that makes no sense. If, this car has not had any previous frontal damage, I would be after Audi to come up with an explanation for the how this could happen and the bill cost. As an aside this is one reason I do not buy these nanny systems, as they are expensive to replace or repair/troubleshoot and have little or no use to me.
Pre sense is standard on the A3 in the USA. I agree that under normal circumstances the sensors should not get knocked out of alignment, so maybe something was loose from the factory or something coincidentally hit the sensor on the way from the dealership. It'll be difficult to prove the former, but it doesn't hurt to push it with AoA.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 AM
va3
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Pre sense is standard on the A3 in the USA. I agree that under normal circumstances the sensors should not get knocked out of alignment, so maybe something was loose from the factory or something coincidentally hit the sensor on the way from the dealership. It'll be difficult to prove the former, but it doesn't hurt to push it with AoA.
Thank you all for your reply. I will try to push back at the dealership and call AoA.

This car was never in any type of accident. They told me a small rock could've knocked the sensor out of place or the snow, but I find that hard to believe since it can't really be that flimsy
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by va3
Thank you all for your reply. I will try to push back at the dealership and call AoA.

This car was never in any type of accident. They told me a small rock could've knocked the sensor out of place or the snow, but I find that hard to believe since it can't really be that flimsy
That's what I figured was their position. So one option to consider is filing an insurance claim. An airborne object hitting your car falls under comprehensive, so you don't get dinged in your premium and hopefully you did the smart thing and maintained a low comprehensive deductible.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're in trouble if snow can damage Presense. Superswiss has a good point about using your insurance if need be, but I'd still go after them. On a side note, can Presense simply be disabled?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
va3
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's what I figured was their position. So one option to consider is filing an insurance claim. An airborne object hitting your car falls under comprehensive, so you don't get dinged in your premium and hopefully you did the smart thing and maintained a low comprehensive deductible.
Thank you for the advice. I unfortunately have a $500 deductible on comprehensive. I guess it still saves $200, but not worth it for me at the moment. Maybe i'll get it done when I sell the car later.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my Presense and ACC fail last week - a few days after the dealer washed the car during another visit. apparently there's no tsb, and the tech inspected the front bumper for sensor for damage as part of the troubleshooting. With no damage found, it was a $0 repair bill although it took most of the day for the adaptive cruise control sensor to be 'relacilbrated', which also affected the presense. In my case the service was very good, and no complaints. 8,000km's or roughly 5,000 miles.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by va3
Thank you for the advice. I unfortunately have a $500 deductible on comprehensive. I guess it still saves $200, but not worth it for me at the moment. Maybe i'll get it done when I sell the car later.
A couple of thoughts; one, you should ask your insurance person the rate difference for a much lower deductible on comprehensive. I always took the standard $500 but was fortunate when one of my insurance people mentioned that to take it to ZERO (0) on the Porsche was only a few dollars more per month. This paid off BIG TIME later when a rock got thrown through the radiator (which sits very low) and cost over $2,200 to repair but I got reimbursed for all of it.

Second, another option to consider may be to severely ding the service department on the survey you always get. These surveys are watched and tracked closely by the dealership and AoA. I'd be interested to hear what others think of this option as it will "upset" your dealership so do the pros outweigh the cons?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I had my Presense and ACC fail last week - a few days after the dealer washed the car during another visit. apparently there's no tsb, and the tech inspected the front bumper for sensor for damage as part of the troubleshooting. With no damage found, it was a $0 repair bill although it took most of the day for the adaptive cruise control sensor to be 'relacilbrated', which also affected the presense. In my case the service was very good, and no complaints. 8,000km's or roughly 5,000 miles.
So did an dash indicator come on indicating failure or did you notice the ACC just not working? Glad you had better luck with your dealer and service department.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
So did an dash indicator come on indicating failure or did you notice the ACC just not working? Glad you had better luck with your dealer and service department.
two dash alerts: Presense Failure "check your manual", and ACC failure, also "check your manual". as well as a white icon in the bottom middle of the dash that's now gone - i'm assuming it was indicating the sensor wasn't functioning. The alerts on these cars seem to be pretty smart, my old S3 would tell me when my washer fluid was low or if I needed an oil top up (both free fixes from my dealer, and a chance to get the car washed again).
Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tjacoby you reminded me of how the S3 at least the pre-facelift models got the headlight washer system.

I still don't understand how that happened, and the A3 didn't.

Quick Reply: Audi Presense not covered under warranty?