Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Braking Assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking Assist

Can someone please tell me if the S3 is capable of braking the car to a complete stop if it senses that you are about to hit the car in front of you? I haven't had any luck in finding any videos showing how well the brakes work.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

my understanding (in reference to the german website and the handbook of my german 2015 A3 Cabriolet) is that an emergency stop will only be done if you´re travelling below 30km/h. Above 30km/h, there´s a limitation for assisting with an emergency stop (I think they talk about applying 70 or 80% of brake power; 30km/h should be about 18mph)

However - this is only in reference to emergency braking.

If you refer to the Adaptive Cruise Control, then my car applies brakes down to a full stop even from higher speeds (not talking about emergency braking here - just about scenarios where traffic is slowing down and eventually coming to a full stop). Based on the handbook, this works between 0-200 km/h - but this is due to my car having the S-Tronic plus the Assistance package that includes a camera (incl. traffic sign recognition). Based on what I have read, the range of speed where this works depends on your transmission (manual vs S-Tronic) and the other assistance features you have equipped.

ACC full stop tested succesfully a couple of times already - its kind of spooky at the first test runs
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

The short answer is no and depends on the model. In the USA the S3 Prestige comes standard with Audi pre senseŽ front. Here's what it does:

Audi pre sense front monitors the traffic in front of the vehicle for potential collision hazards. The system provides multiple levels of driver support. The first is a warning signal, and the second a warning jerk caused by brief braking. If the driver now simply places his or her foot on the brake, the brake assist initiates deceleration. Even an avoidance maneuver – often the better solution – would still be possible at this time.

Should the driver remain passive, the third stage follows – partial braking. The vehicle is slowed with roughly one-third of the possible pedal force. The windows and sunroof begin to close, and the hazard warning lights are activated. The seat belt is also tensioned in this case.

The S3 Premium Plus only comes with Audi pre senseŽ basic and here is what it does (no automatic braking at all):

In the standard variant – Audi pre sense basic – the system analyzes the information from the ESP sensors. When they signal maximum brake application or skidding, the control unit intervenes. Depending on the situation, it activates the hazard warning lights and begins closing the side windows and the sunroof; it also tensions pneumatic springs and the belts at the front seats. This tensioning process, which is reversible, is triggered by small electric motors. If an accident does not occur, the belts are released again.

More info on Audi pre senseŽ: Audi pre sense ? Audi Technology Portal

Last edited by superswiss; 07-12-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Sorry if i sound stupid but does the ACC full stop only work when you're in cruise control?

I'm considering switching from 2014 CLA 250 to the 2017 S3 at the end of this year and the CLA was capable of automatically applying the brakes when 1) I'm leisurely strolling at maybe 25mph without my foot on the gas pedal and slowly approaching the car in front of me but I haven't put my foot on the brake pedal yet (the car would gently apply the brake)
2) the car thinks I'm going too fast to the point I might hit the car in front of me (it brakes to a complete stop).

Since the S3 is significantly more powerful than the CLA, I just wanted to make sure that the S3 would also be capable of doing the same in terms of emergency braking.

Originally Posted by AutobahnA3
Hi,

my understanding (in reference to the german website and the handbook of my german 2015 A3 Cabriolet) is that an emergency stop will only be done if you´re travelling below 30km/h. Above 30km/h, there´s a limitation for assisting with an emergency stop (I think they talk about applying 70 or 80% of brake power; 30km/h should be about 18mph)

However - this is only in reference to emergency braking.

If you refer to the Adaptive Cruise Control, then my car applies brakes down to a full stop even from higher speeds (not talking about emergency braking here - just about scenarios where traffic is slowing down and eventually coming to a full stop). Based on the handbook, this works between 0-200 km/h - but this is due to my car having the S-Tronic plus the Assistance package that includes a camera (incl. traffic sign recognition). Based on what I have read, the range of speed where this works depends on your transmission (manual vs S-Tronic) and the other assistance features you have equipped.

ACC full stop tested succesfully a couple of times already - its kind of spooky at the first test runs
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chachachachia
Thanks. Sorry if i sound stupid but does the ACC full stop only work when you're in cruise control?
With ACC engaged, the vehicle will attempt to maintain distance between vehicles. It will do this to a stop and will support stop and go braking. Once the vehicle is stopped completely for a few seconds, the driver needs to touch accelerator to begin acceleration.

Without ACC engaged, it is only the pre-sense front. You can read the exact actions that will occur by pre-sense front in the manual. I have attached the relevant pages.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
page 94.pdf (640.4 KB, 196 views)
page 95.pdf (988.4 KB, 112 views)
page 96.pdf (652.8 KB, 121 views)