Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

DIY Virtual Cockpit firmware update

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Virtual Cockpit firmware update

I decided to update my old 0045 firmware with much newer 0150 that I've found on mibsolution.one
And as usual, I had my camera with me to make a tutorial for other Audi owners.

0. Warnings and info
  • Do at your own risk!
  • It was reported that downgrading firmware caused instrument cluster EEPROM damage.
  • You will need and SD card. Don't use USB drive. Don't use microSD + adapter, only good old full size SD card.
  • If you have keyless system (KESSY), best if you tape the keyfob to the steering column. Update will not start if the key is not there.
  • Car battery needs to be in good condition or an external power supply needs to be connected as a safety measure.
  • Fault code B201A will appear in module 0x5F (MMI main unit), but it's easy to fix it if you have OBDeleven, VCDS...
  • Missing communication faults will be present in other modules. This can be cleared with OBDeleven, VCDS...
  • Read all before starting. If something is unclear, don't update until you know what you are doing.

1. Ignition on, press trip reset buttons [0.0] five times, and keep it pressed on the fifth.
This will open hidden screen on the instrument cluster where you can check which firmware you are currently running. It will be in the SW: line. In my case it was 0045.
You can also check this with OBDeleven or VCDS. Up to you.

2. Find and download desired firmware update for your VC on mibsolution.one (user and password: guest).
In my case AU_C1_AU37X_0150_0742_prod; P/N: 8W6906961R designed for KI_FPK_AU37X device.

3. Prepare SD card. I've used 16GB SD, formatted with FAT32 file system, 4096b allocation size. Copy over the unzipped update files to the SD card.
You need to place the update files in the top directory of the SD card. In such way that the update folder and the metainfo2.txt file are in root directory of the card.

4. Prepare the vehicle:
  • tape the key next to the ignition coil,
  • ignition ON,
  • engine OFF,
  • lights OFF,
  • fans, heating, USB chargers, other electrical consumers OFF,
  • SD cards and USB drives removed from media ports.

5. Insert SD card with VC firmware update to SD1 port.

6. Enter hidden red menu, go to Update, select SD1 as the update source, start the update.
It will takie about 5-10 minutes. VC will go dark and indicators/warning lights will flash during the update. MMI System will reboot several times. Screen will go dark several times. That's normal. Do not interrupt the update.

7. Around 5-10 minutes later you will see update summary. Confirm it. On the next screen hit "Cancel". MMI unit will reboot one more time.

8. In module 5F you will see fault code B201A. Use https://mib-helper.com/im-so-xory/ to fix this. But if you leave it, it will not cause any harm. It will not limit the functionality in any way.
In several other modules you will see "Databus missing message" and "Lost communication" faults. This is normal since MMI and VC were unavailable for several minutes. You can clear those faults from all the modules.

9. Remove the SD card from MMI.

10. Enter hidden menu in VC to confirm that the instrument cluster is running newer firmware.

11. Enjoy!

Changes that I found:
  • current tab memory works after ignition is switched off
  • phone tab redesigned
  • maintenance service message fix
  • minor bug fixes and stability improvements

Bugs from FW 0150:
  • Audi eTron range display icon is misplaced
Old 03-09-2024, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-fix
I decided to update my old 0045 firmware with much newer 0150 that I've found on mibsolution.one
And as usual, I had my camera with me to make a tutorial for other Audi owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-EzfGiPyA

0. Warnings and info
  • Do at your own risk!
  • It was reported that downgrading firmware caused instrument cluster EEPROM damage.
  • You will need and SD card. Don't use USB drive. Don't use microSD + adapter, only good old full size SD card.
  • If you have keyless system (KESSY), best if you tape the keyfob to the steering column. Update will not start if the key is not there.
  • Car battery needs to be in good condition or an external power supply needs to be connected as a safety measure.
  • Fault code B201A will appear in module 0x5F (MMI main unit), but it's easy to fix it if you have OBDeleven, VCDS...
  • Missing communication faults will be present in other modules. This can be cleared with OBDeleven, VCDS...
  • Read all before starting. If something is unclear, don't update until you know what you are doing.

1. Ignition on, press trip reset buttons [0.0] five times, and keep it pressed on the fifth.
This will open hidden screen on the instrument cluster where you can check which firmware you are currently running. It will be in the SW: line. In my case it was 0045.
You can also check this with OBDeleven or VCDS. Up to you.

2. Find and download desired firmware update for your VC on mibsolution.one (user and password: guest).
In my case AU_C1_AU37X_0150_0742_prod; P/N: 8W6906961R designed for KI_FPK_AU37X device.

3. Prepare SD card. I've used 16GB SD, formatted with FAT32 file system, 4096b allocation size. Copy over the unzipped update files to the SD card.
You need to place the update files in the top directory of the SD card. In such way that the update folder and the metainfo2.txt file are in root directory of the card.

4. Prepare the vehicle:
  • tape the key next to the ignition coil,
  • ignition ON,
  • engine OFF,
  • lights OFF,
  • fans, heating, USB chargers, other electrical consumers OFF,
  • SD cards and USB drives removed from media ports.

5. Insert SD card with VC firmware update to SD1 port.

6. Enter hidden red menu, go to Update, select SD1 as the update source, start the update.
It will takie about 5-10 minutes. VC will go dark and indicators/warning lights will flash during the update. MMI System will reboot several times. Screen will go dark several times. That's normal. Do not interrupt the update.

7. Around 5-10 minutes later you will see update summary. Confirm it. On the next screen hit "Cancel". MMI unit will reboot one more time.

8. In module 5F you will see fault code B201A. Use https://mib-helper.com/im-so-xory/ to fix this. But if you leave it, it will not cause any harm. It will not limit the functionality in any way.
In several other modules you will see "Databus missing message" and "Lost communication" faults. This is normal since MMI and VC were unavailable for several minutes. You can clear those faults from all the modules.

9. Remove the SD card from MMI.

10. Enter hidden menu in VC to confirm that the instrument cluster is running newer firmware.

11. Enjoy!

Changes that I found:
  • current tab memory works after ignition is switched off
  • phone tab redesigned
  • maintenance service message fix
  • minor bug fixes and stability improvements

Bugs from FW 0150:
  • Audi eTron range display icon is misplaced
thanks for the writeup, this is really informative. Do you know where the meta file is found for mib3 systems? Is it the same file as mib2?
Old 03-10-2024, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No real experience with MIB3 yet, sorry.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 0046 and did the update to 0150 as well. Problem is now it shows 300 revs less than actual on Sport Dial since it's A3 diesel. I tried to enable RS3 layout since I heard that can fix it, but it just gave me same S3 layout. Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-12-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No real experience with MIB3 yet, sorry.
no problem I managed to update and activate sport layout on the gen 2 virtual cockpit.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

there's also 0162 that you can try.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's also 0162 that you can try.
where can I find it?
Old 03-26-2024, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

https://2.136.218.196/dav/Service42-...8W6906961H.zip
Old 05-10-2024, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi @mr-fix ,

Thanks for the tuto.

After the update, I've got the "Brake servo" error when I unlock the car.
It disapears after ignition on or engine on, and it reapears after engin off before I lock the car.

Audi says it's a VC bug et the whole unit must be replaced and cost at least 5000€.

Is it possible to downgrade to prior version or reinstall a same version ?

I see on other forum and your tuto on youtube, there is a lot of people who encounter the same issue as mine and it's not a hardware issue but a software issue (I think)

Any advice ?
Old 05-10-2024, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to hear that you have issues after the update. Most likely it's caused by lack of legacy support and some inconsistency between new VC firmware and old FWs in other modules in the vehicle (maybe ABS pump?).

If you are at FW 0150, you can try 0162 to check if it will fix your issue. Or maybe it will introduce new bugs. There's not a lot of documentation about VC FW change logs.

Downgrade will most likely corrupt EEPROM and you will see 999999 milage.
One of the users reported that downgrade caused such issue. It was fixed by Audi by performing the VC replacement procedure without the actual replacement (they programmed the original VC as if it was new, and they restored vehicle milage in EEPROM).

Quick Reply: DIY Virtual Cockpit firmware update