Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Gearbox Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox Malfunction

Hello,

I know there has been multiple posts about the same subject, but I haven't found any that was describing my current issue.

I have a 2016
Audi A3 Audi A3
2.0T. Since the month of October 2019, when I start the car, the engine runs, then the EPC light remains ON, after 1 sec, there is an error message appearing on the dashboard's computer stating: "Gearbox Malfunction: You Can Continue Driving", then SAFE appears at the bottom right, then 1 sec later, the yellow warning triangle appears. But, if I try to engage the transmission, it does not engage and the car is in neutral. I can shift the transmission arm as much as I want with no result. Turning the engine off, removing the key and starting back again works most of the time, except once, where I had to do it 4 times to get the gearbox to engage. No weird sounds, no weird behavior from the transmission, nothing abnormal when the car normally runs.

I went to the dealership (I am still under extended warranty). They scan the error code (which they didn't give me) and came up as a miscommunication with the car key apparently. They got me to stop using my main key and use my second spare key and after a few weeks,, the result was the same. The error came back. Now, they say it is related to the key and want me to order a new key $$$ and pay the time spent so far as the key is not covered by the warranty.

Anyone has ever seen this issue before?
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well...

Back from the dealership...

Apparently the issue is caused by my remote sarter control unit that has universal code box on it to allow keyless remote start. Apparently the control unit send the wrong information through the Canbus to the car computer and it creates a conflict between my real key and this keyless control box when starting the car manually. It shouldn't as the remote starter should not be sending commands to the car unless remote starting, but apparently this is happening and the computer the car is getting confused on mix signal and put the car in SAFE mode. In this case by deactivating the gearbox.

Now I am unplugging the remote starter control unit and will try this for a few weeks and see if the issue is still there or not. :-(

Time will tell.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you manage to get this sorted?
Originally Posted by ClaLed
Well...

Back from the dealership...

Apparently the issue is caused by my remote sarter control unit that has universal code box on it to allow keyless remote start. Apparently the control unit send the wrong information through the Canbus to the car computer and it creates a conflict between my real key and this keyless control box when starting the car manually. It shouldn't as the remote starter should not be sending commands to the car unless remote starting, but apparently this is happening and the computer the car is getting confused on mix signal and put the car in SAFE mode. In this case by deactivating the gearbox.

Now I am unplugging the remote starter control unit and will try this for a few weeks and see if the issue is still there or not. :-(

Time will tell.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by faheemrathor@gmail.com
Did you manage to get this sorted?
Sadly not.

Ended up removing the remote starter.