Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Has anyone had luck upgrading the speakers/subwoofer on a stock S3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had luck upgrading the speakers/subwoofer on a stock S3?

I know it seems to be a tricky project, but I'm looking to figure out getting a sub in a non-B/O S3 (I wanted the B/O sound system, but really didn't want the virtual cockpit so I had to pass it up).
Not really worried about changing out the head unit or speakers for the most part, I'll be fine with stock, but I'm curious if people have been able to add a sub without any issues (it's for a '19). Any experiences or guidance to forums where this conversation has already happened would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordanc220
I know it seems to be a tricky project, but I'm looking to figure out getting a sub in a non-B/O S3 (I wanted the B/O sound system, but really didn't want the virtual cockpit so I had to pass it up).
Not really worried about changing out the head unit or speakers for the most part, I'll be fine with stock, but I'm curious if people have been able to add a sub without any issues (it's for a '19). Any experiences or guidance to forums where this conversation has already happened would be greatly appreciated!!
It's very doable. I've done it just using the stock sub line level output into an AudioControl LC2i (line level converter) into a JL Audio Microsub+ 10". I wasn't happy with that because the stock sub was rolled off below about 35Hz, so I was missing the ultra low notes I wanted.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend just feeding the stock sub line out into an amplifier that has "line level inputs" because most of them are only able to handle up to maybe 16volts. I don't know the Bose system and could be wrong but I would guess it's more like 20volts.

In order to fix the drop in low base signal you sort of need a Digital Signal Processor. Something like a JL Audio TWK would be my recommendation unless you use an amplifier that has a DSP baked in (there's plenty of those available, too).
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PaperLion
It's very doable. I've done it just using the stock sub line level output into an AudioControl LC2i (line level converter) into a JL Audio Microsub+ 10". I wasn't happy with that because the stock sub was rolled off below about 35Hz, so I was missing the ultra low notes I wanted.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend just feeding the stock sub line out into an amplifier that has "line level inputs" because most of them are only able to handle up to maybe 16volts. I don't know the Bose system and could be wrong but I would guess it's more like 20volts.

In order to fix the drop in low base signal you sort of need a Digital Signal Processor. Something like a JL Audio TWK would be my recommendation unless you use an amplifier that has a DSP baked in (there's plenty of those available, too).
I'm not trying to go too crazy. my living room at home is basically a nightclub ($2k in speakers, $5k in dj equipment, plus some lighting) so that fills that need. i used to have a rav4 that had a monster of a 12" FI sub in a custom ported box with a 1200w watt sundown amp and my goodness, it was insane. but, you make tradeoffs and now im picking up an s3 next week

if i wanted a simple install, only adding a sub to the stock system, could i basically take the JL sub you mentioned plus the LC2i to a car audio shop and ask them to install it? or are there some extra things i'd have to mention?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah you certainly could, it worked. There were definitely some trade offs, though--and car stereo shops are often incompetant con artists. Make sure you go somewhere highly reputable. What city are you from?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah you certainly could, it worked. There were definitely some trade offs, though--and car stereo shops are often incompetant con artists. Make sure you go somewhere highly reputable. What city are you from?
I'm in pittsburgh at the moment. recently moved back so im not sure which shops are good. also, looks like JL has their own line output converter so thats looking like an option. also, on the JL, where do you put it in your car? thinking between the 10" and 12" and not sure if space should be an issue
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in pittsburgh at the moment. recently moved back so im not sure which shops are good. also, looks like JL has their own line output converter so thats looking like an option. also, on the JL, where do you put it in your car? thinking between the 10" and 12" and not sure if space should be an issue
It's too bad. There was a really great shop in Washington, PA. but the owner passed in 2016. Chris Zenner.

There's only one place those prefab boxes will fit in the car, really--in the truck against the rear seats. I ended up with a box in the spare tire area so I could keep all the trunk space. The only other options are infinite baffle on the rear deck (don't recommend) or an 8 (or 2 of them) in the rear corners of the trunk. That last option is probably the way to go if I had it all to do over again, but it requires custom fiberglass work.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's too bad. There was a really great shop in Washington, PA. but the owner passed in 2016. Chris Zenner.

There's only one place those prefab boxes will fit in the car, really--in the truck against the rear seats. I ended up with a box in the spare tire area so I could keep all the trunk space. The only other options are infinite baffle on the rear deck (don't recommend) or an 8 (or 2 of them) in the rear corners of the trunk. That last option is probably the way to go if I had it all to do over again, but it requires custom fiberglass work.
in terms of pressed up against the rear seats in the trunk, do you know how tall the trunk is on the s3? i have an appointment for next weekend to have the 12" Microsub+ installed even tho I don't pick the car up til this weekend... not sure if I need to drop to the 10" version so that it'll fit lol if it helps, the 12" box is about 2" taller than the 10" box....
Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

in terms of pressed up against the rear seats in the trunk, do you know how tall the trunk is on the s3? i have an appointment for next weekend to have the 12" Microsub+ installed even tho I don't pick the car up til this weekend... not sure if I need to drop to the 10" version so that it'll fit lol if it helps, the 12" box is about 2" taller than the 10" box....
Should fit fine.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i would not use a line in/out for this car. all your gonna do is get horrible sound as you turn up the volume. the amp in these are setup to reduce the volume once you hit a certain level. using a the lc system might work for some cars but this car its just a horrible method.

to do it right youll want to remove the whole amp out if the equation and go direct line out.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 949
i would not use a line in/out for this car. all your gonna do is get horrible sound as you turn up the volume. the amp in these are setup to reduce the volume once you hit a certain level. using a the lc system might work for some cars but this car its just a horrible method.

to do it right youll want to remove the whole amp out if the equation and go direct line out.
This is misleading. If done correctly the stock amp does not need to be removed. I did remove it, but it's not necessary to get good output and the ONLY piece im aware of that you can replace it with is very expensive-the nav TV Zen V. Running into a good dsp using the high level outputs from the stock amp is perfectly fine. Having run both ways, the nav tv piece is ideal, but the system was still very nice running off the stock amp into a JL VX amp with integrated DSP.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had luck upgrading the speakers/subwoofer on a stock S3?