Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Huge spread on the S3 in Road & Track (uploaded here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I read the story in R&T and my biggest response was to wonder about the front suspension breaking. A rock the size of a shoe (I don’t know what a household shoe is, but a shoe I in general I do understand) should not break a cast suspension member IMO. Did the reviewer put that in there to sorta, kinda suggest the car is not robust? Beyond that, do I want a car where the front suspension breaks if I have to jump a curb to avoid a collision? I dunno, but to me it raised so many red flags. Anyone else have a similar reaction?
No. I don't have a similar reaction. It is possible to break. Simple physics. A 3500lbs vehicle slamming into a 6-10 pound solid rock at 40mph, and the only part of the car that hit the rock is the suspension member? Hell yeah it's going to break. The suspension member took the full brunt of the 3500lbs vehicle traveling at 40mph. I'd be surprised if it didn't break.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 02-25-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed!

Could Zach Bowman (author) also be the writer for "Autoweek". That would be a TV series I'd prefer to watch without sound. Sorta like this Road & Track article. I'd rather just look at the amazing photographs.

In regards to the rock-sized house shoe, I'm surprised it didn't take out bodywork considering the suspension was most likely compressed. IMO, he wanted to blame the car for his lack of looking ahead!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, folks. I feel better. if he really hit the "shoe" at 40 mph or higher speed , I understand. I love Audi's, just being careful that too much VW DNA is isn't sneaking in lol!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I read the story in R&T and my biggest response was to wonder about the front suspension breaking. A rock the size of a shoe (I don’t know what a household shoe is, but a shoe I in general I do understand) should not break a cast suspension member IMO. Did the reviewer put that in there to sorta, kinda suggest the car is not robust? Beyond that, do I want a car where the front suspension breaks if I have to jump a curb to avoid a collision? I dunno, but to me it raised so many red flags. Anyone else have a similar reaction?
It was a journalist, and even further not a very scientific article, seems he skipped some details, maybe embellished? How fast was he going? How big was the rock, etc…
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to find a pristine copy of this R&T issue that will be used for a nice decorative piece in my home office. Will razor cut the cover off as well as the specs page, mount and frame. This isn't a McLaren P1, or Porsche 918 but it's a damn fine car and deserves a place on my wall as well as in my garage!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The writer is over at Jalopink responding to comments there. He said point break it was his fault and NOT a fault or a quality issue with the car. He said he loved the car and just was unlucky enough to hit the only rock large enough on the turn to do any damage and it hit the worst possible spot dead on.

Either way it is a great piece on the car with some great photos.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STL Okie
The writer is over at Jalopink responding to comments there. He said point break it was his fault and NOT a fault or a quality issue with the car. He said he loved the car and just was unlucky enough to hit the only rock large enough on the turn to do any damage and it hit the worst possible spot dead on.

Either way it is a great piece on the car with some great photos.
He also compared hitting the rock to hitting a curb, so It must have been fairly sizable.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how did he not share a pic of the rock?
I just reread the article, it's horrible.
all fluff.
he must have felt bad breaking the audi...
so he pushed them to put the car the on the cover and strung out 10 pages of BLAH.